No announcement yet.

DC 11 Printed Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This years sticks out in my mind as one of the better programs. Though I also vote for page numbers and a table of contents. I don't know how many times I flipped through the thing looking for info, knowing it was there somewhere.

Having the schedual on the inside of the front or back cover rather than buried in the middle makes it easier for quick looks. I ended up finding a trashed program in the parking lot and just ripped out the schedual pages for quick reference.

A PDF after the con would be cool for those that lost/trashed thiers
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

what program?

there were none left by the time we registered, at 2-3pm Friday. arg! This made seeing speakers a pain in the ass, obviously. I ended up copying schedules from the info booth, then making a number of hand copies for my buds - I felt like a medieval monk. ;p

I also wanted to read articles & stuff I've yet to see - is there perhaps a PDF version up somewhere?

Comment

2 camps

Ah, the 2 camps emerge:

practical and minimal
        or
        fashionable and expansive

[Option 1] We can cut the editorials and all the other fluff- pics, etc and make it a pretty small and tight program with only con related materials. There will be no histories, stories, etc- only bare bones information- event, organizer, time, location- only pertinent information need be included. We can do one or two color on cheap paper, small or possibly get everything on a single sheet of paper. No need for anything fancier and would cut our efforts by half or more.

Or

[Option 2] We can go along with what we have done the last few years and hopefully expand the program- more of everything. This is the most time and effort intensive option and not one that we wish to continue if it really isn't warranted or appreciated.

Keep in mind that besides the badge, the program is the only other "signature" Defcon piece that (most) delegates receive.

If the vast majority does not view it that way, we can go to Option 1, the super dumbed down version of the con program which will be called the "con agenda" that provide onlyl the most basic information. We'll spend the saved time on updating the website or making improvements to other aspects of the con.

PS: Yes, there will be a pdf version of the DC 11 program by the end of next week.
        blackbeetle

Comment

... a third camp would be a compromise of both camps above mentioned in which data placement would be the key... put all the immediately valuable data at the front (perhaps even including the cover).. and all the fun stuff in the back (the pages following the important data)...

Comment

just put the whole damn thing in a cheap pda to hand out :D

Comment

As much as i hate the scrolling on most tv shows/networks now days, it might be a good idea to scroll upcoming talks and locations along the bottom of the video feeds for quick reference.
              Yes I'm back bitch!

And darker than ever

Comment

I love the programs, and wouldn't want to sacrifice all the pretty stuff. I usually don't sit down to look at it until well after I get home, and it never disappoints with entertaining write-ups. One thing I'd really like to see is the schedule being on a seperate insert, on heavier card stock and easily folded (tri-fold style, maybe?). Having the schedule seperate would make it easy to carry around, and it could also be printed later than the full-colour program, allowing it to be more up-to-date.
                the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Why not print the schedule like the spiffy badges this year. You could actually print double or even triple the info on one side and depending on how you held it, you could read the info you wanted. ....heh.........

Comment

how about a palm and win CE version of the program?
                    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by pezz
                      Why not print the schedule like the spiffy badges this year. You could actually print double or even triple the info on one side and depending on how you held it, you could read the info you wanted. ....heh.........
                      Do you realises how much your head would hurt looking at that? That is not the sort of pain we need added on to our hangovers.
                      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

I liked the program this year.

My only complaint is that we ran out of them. (You already told me why.)

Way I see it is, however many badges we get, we should print that number + 5-10%.

Lots of people come to the reg desk seeking additional/replacement programs because the one we gave them got lost/stolen/drowned/covered in something I'd rather not know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Q42
                          I liked the program this year.

My only complaint is that we ran out of them. (You already told me why.)

Way I see it is, however many badges we get, we should print that number + 5-10%.

Lots of people come to the reg desk seeking additional/replacement programs because the one we gave them got lost/stolen/drowned/covered in something I'd rather not know about.
                          thats too expensive. i dont want to cater to idiots. the best we could offer is to hand them out at the end....so the morons dont loose,destroy, or ignite them.....
                          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Okay, that's fine. I'm all for not giving more than one to a person.

But there's still the ones that need to be given to speakers, press, VIPs, etc.

Even if it's only a couple of hundred, we need more programs than badges.

Comment

I say put everything for 1 individual into a clear bag and euroseal it so it isn't tampered with before it is given out... that way you hand over your cash, and you get a bag with all the DEFCON stuff you are supposed to get in it, make a bag set for humans, vendors, press, etc... being given a badge and then told to go get the rest yourself at the registration table doesn't fly all the time, and when it does, it doesn't fly well...

Comment

We don't make the attendees get the stuff themselves. When the grannies give them the badge, they also give them a lanyard, a program, a CD, and whatever else they are supposed to get.

I don't necessarily mind the idea of a bag, but it's harder for the accounting, harder to transport, and way more difficult for pre-con setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X