Defcon Robot Wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chassis info

Found this web page by a T-4 paraplegic that is building a wheelchair/robot. Lots of good pictures and annectodal information on building a robust platform. Enjoy!

http://www.fatnfast.com/robot

Comment

sony eyetoy or toysight?

I'm not a gamer, console or otherwise, but I saw the sony EyeToy in an magazine and with a little googling I found SightToy for Macs. Its sorta of a HID via webcam.

As a peripheral, I think its just a webcam. What's interesting is that the software has implemented realtime or just real fast edge detection frame-by-frame.

Trolling through source forge turned up nothing specific other than the usual computer/robot vision stuff (a bunch of it for mindstorms). I gues this thing is too new for any published hacks.

Does anyone have one of these things or played with them?

Comment

I would love to see something like this happen, one preference i can think of that i would like to see:

* Control via PocketPC device via Wifi or IrDA. This way perhaps the robots logic will not have to be all onboard but can be on the remote side. As a fail-over there can be a robot-side logic that can take over in case of connection interruption.
        I think this would be the best route for a higher-class robot, of course user milage will vary. I think this would make it easier on the side of the programming as well, one could fesibly use and programming language or a mixture of them. dotNET seems to be getting pretty functional.

Just throwing around my idea's, hope it spawns more of them and better ones.
        The essential feature of complex behavior is the ability to perform transitions between different states ... Complexity is concerned with systems in which evolution, and hence history plays or has played an important role in the observed behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami

Does anyone have one of these things or played with them?
          We have as part of a purchase order three of these on order for the shop. So at some point, I'll be playing with one.

I believe they work muc in teh same way as a light gun, sampling X frames/sec, compairing frame and reletive positions of you in relation to the super-imposed images on screen.

We'll see.
          --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
          - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Just to bump the thread and give the folks who didn't qualify for the DARPA competition an alternative event, I present:

<echo>
            The International Robot Racing Federation
            </echo>

http://www.irrf.org/

Comment

rules

Any ideas on what the final word on the rules for the robot wars will be? I would like to know so I can start working on the bot. I know there is alot of talk about it but anything set in stone?
              Just wondering.. I probily missed something.

mage2
              mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
              KeyID 3B535825D9402365
              FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

Working...
              X