Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proxim Orinoco Wireless Card

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proxim Orinoco Wireless Card

    Proxim has done away with the externel Orinoco card antenna port. You can still get the old generation Orinoco cards in disguise, to my knowledge dell still sells the old version under the name of Dell TrueMobile Wireless Card Series 1150.
    Carpe Noctem
    Yo Kung Fu No Good Here!

  • #2
    And this is on the current proxim b-only cards such as gold/silver... since the abg and bg cards never had a connector?
    b-only
    http://www.proxim.com/products/all/o...ard/index.html

    Both Gold and Silver versions of the card are furnished with a streamlined form factor and short antenna which makes it easier to work in crowded spaces. The Gold version antenna includes a built-in connector for an external Range Extender Antenna which improves connecting from locations where it is difficult to "see" and Access Point.
    compared to
    bg
    http://www.proxim.com/products/all/o...ard/index.html

    and
    abg
    http://www.proxim.com/products/all/o...ard/index.html

    Comment


    • #3
      To my knowledge i believe proxim has done away with any externel antennas on all cards. I may be wrong, but i almost made a mistake on buying a new generation silver card with no antenna. So you might find a new generation card with an antenna, its really hard to tell because they usual dont say and rarely ever show a picture of that angle of the card.
      Carpe Noctem
      Yo Kung Fu No Good Here!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TheSilentSp0rk
        To my knowledge i believe proxim has done away with any externel antennas on all cards.
        Where did you hear about this? One would figure that proxim would update their description of the cards they are selling (see quote above with linkage to b-only cards)

        You may be interested in reading up on this thread:
        http://forums.netstumbler.com/showth...&threadid=8097

        Comment


        • #5
          Fab corp, the new cards are on clearance because nobody was buying them because of it not having the antenna port. Fab corp does sell the old style gold card for 80 some-odd bucks though.
          Carpe Noctem
          Yo Kung Fu No Good Here!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TheSilentSp0rk
            Fab corp, the new cards are on clearance because nobody was buying them because of it not having the antenna port. Fab corp does sell the old style gold card for 80 some-odd bucks though.

            Yep...from the Fab-Corp page:

            *** NOTE: THIS IS THE CLASSIC GOLD CARD - THESE CARDS HAVE THE EXTERNAL ANTENNA PORT ON THE END OF THE CARD. NEW PROXIM ORINOCO CARDS THAT ARE NOT CLASSIC DO _NOT_ HAVE EXTERNAL PORTS ***
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chris
              Yep...from the Fab-Corp page:

              *** NOTE: THIS IS THE CLASSIC GOLD CARD - THESE CARDS HAVE THE EXTERNAL ANTENNA PORT ON THE END OF THE CARD. NEW PROXIM ORINOCO CARDS THAT ARE NOT CLASSIC DO _NOT_ HAVE EXTERNAL PORTS ***
              I think they changed the chipset to...so no netstumbler for new proxim card holders....sorry
              ~:CK:~
              I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

              Comment


              • #8
                Ive tryed 4 wifi cards and none had external antennas. I need a wifi card for my ibm thinkpad but dont know if either of the two below are good.

                Orinoco card

                Dell true mobile

                Do either install with linux easily? Do they have external antennas?
                Thanks.
                hmmmm...... nice round set of features....good price.... but will it draw attention....? will supermodels stop in their tracks and say, "damn! who's that guy with the SEXY laptop?!" - I don't remember who possibly blackwave

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by onlcmp
                  Ive tryed 4 wifi cards and none had external antennas. I need a wifi card for my ibm thinkpad but dont know if either of the two below are good.

                  Orinoco card

                  Dell true mobile

                  Do either install with linux easily? Do they have external antennas?
                  Thanks.

                  Many questions young padawan...

                  The two cards are essentially the same thing. The TrueMobile is just a Dell branding of the Lucent card. Both have external antenna connectors. The both install in linux very easily (edit wireless.opts) if you just want to use them for access.

                  If you want to WarDrive (Kismet) then you will have some work to do...but have no fear...for Blackwave's excellent Guide to a sane kismet install is here
                  perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Chris
                    If you want to WarDrive (Kismet) then you will have some work to do...but have no fear...for Blackwave's excellent Guide to a sane kismet install is here
                    Anyone using BSD's (freeBSD preferred) to setup this kind of stuff?
                    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I use the lucent card for genral wifi and also for wardiving win/linux. I in fact am on my wifi network now, works like a charm, cisco is better, but alot more expensive.
                      ~:CK:~
                      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hackajar
                        Anyone using BSD's (freeBSD preferred) to setup this kind of stuff?


                        From http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/WarDriving


                        JimBinkley's Wscan which works under FreeBsd and Linux (currently true AccessPoint scanning is only available under the FreeBsd version, though the patches needed are supposed to be in the latest version of the 2.4 orinoco_cs driver)
                        ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/mobile/
                        under Free BSD 4.5 it available in ports.
                        cd /usr/ports/x11/wscan
                        (as root) make install clean
                        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ck3k
                          I use the lucent card for genral wifi...cisco is better, but alot more expensive.
                          I don't know that cisco cards are better. In my experience the Aironet 350 with dual mmcx inputs is spiffy...but I have used it more as a "Wow this is neat having an omni and a yagi or two yagi's at once" than for any actual practicial use. (From a wardriving standpoint).

                          Unless you are going to use features such as the dual input, it really doesn't matter what card you have...it matters what antenna you have...as long as the card works with your software of choice.

                          Just curious why you think the cisco is better? Or is it just cooler?
                          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chris
                            I don't know that cisco cards are better. In my experience the Aironet 350 with dual mmcx inputs is spiffy...but I have used it more as a "Wow this is neat having an omni and a yagi or two yagi's at once" than for any actual practicial use. (From a wardriving standpoint).

                            Unless you are going to use features such as the dual input, it really doesn't matter what card you have...it matters what antenna you have...as long as the card works with your software of choice.

                            Just curious why you think the cisco is better? Or is it just cooler?
                            nope, just cool to have two antennas at once, not a uberawesome wardriving card I have had better luck with my orinoco, but for the home network...its nice.

                            oh FYI
                            onlcmp = jetforce4004
                            welcome back.....maybe
                            ~:CK:~
                            I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just FYI...the Proxim data sheet on these cards:
                              http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/...11bgpccard.pdf
                              says that it does have an external connector. Not sure if the datasheet is old, or if the connector is "built in" aka you gotta crack it open and get out the soldering iron or what. My guess is that the datasheet is old.
                              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X