Stupid thiings you can do at work to get fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid thiings you can do at work to get fired

Okay maybe YOU have never done anything stupid, but I am sure you have a "friend" who has done stupid things. What did they do? Hack the boss' e-mail? Put thorazine in the water cooler? Delete the Exchange Server files? Forget to update the anti-virus for a whole year?

Please post any stories you know or have experienced so that others may see the repurcussions before they join the industry.

Oh and you may wish to check the statute of limitations in your state -- I mean your friend's state.

dumbass friends

I have been pretty good about not getting arrested/fired for doing stupid shit at work....A good friend known as Froud, however is another story. He was playing around online and randomly downloading things to play with on the UNIX boxes at work without any sort of common sense. He then proceeded to install Trinity on a production box for Detroit Edison. He was terminated shortly after for "running a rootkit on a secure network" Begs the question.... would it be ok if it weren't a secure network? I'd almost call that wrongful termination, due to the fact that Trinity isnt a rootkit per se, its a backdoor...but I didn't make the call on that one.

Quirk-

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      Okay maybe YOU have never done anything stupid, but I am sure you have a "friend" who has done stupid things. What did they do? Hack the boss' e-mail? Put thorazine in the water cooler? Delete the Exchange Server files? Forget to update the anti-virus for a whole year?

Please post any stories you know or have experienced so that others may see the repurcussions before they join the industry.

Oh and you may wish to check the statute of limitations in your state -- I mean your friend's state.

Does it have to be things you got fired for, or can we amend it to "stupid things you did at work"??

Comment

If you did NOT get fired I guess that can be good news, but we all do dumb things, so make it good!

Comment

Yes, I'm sure we all have....when I worked with Ameritech I was notorious for resetting the fiber SLIC cards at random, triggering CO alarms just to the CO staff would wake up from their naps and answer the phones due to the repair job I happened to be on requiring frame work. Shorting out X-boxes was another favorite of mine. Did something accidentally too, happened to run into a pedestal with the van, sped away so I didnt lose any $$ out of my paycheck for destruction of property. Sidenote, the ameritech truck in question is the same one in the pics section of Mitnicks site with the Free Kevin bumpersticker on it.
          http://www.kevinmitnick.com/freepix/ameritech.jpg

Quirk-
          Last edited by Qu|rk; January 31, 2004, 01:35.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
            If you did NOT get fired I guess that can be good news, but we all do dumb things, so make it good!
            I have two:

1. Two youngsters with a big 4 accounting firm decide that it would be "fun" to run hacking tools against an ecommerce client network, without client permission. Brought down the production network. Needless to say, the young associates were immediately invited to seek employment opportunities elsewhere.

2. A Sr. Consultant (you would think he would know better) with a security services company upon first meeting his manager begins to regale said manager with tales of his "leet haxor" social engineering exploits directed at getting women into bed with him. Said manager was not impressed. Sr. Consultant FMP'd two months later. Gee, I wonder why?

r0cketgrl

Comment

Originally posted by r0cketgrl
              A Sr. Consultant (you would think he would know better) with a security services company upon first meeting his manager begins to regale said manager with tales of his "leet haxor" social engineering exploits directed at getting women into bed with him.

One of the many things I dont have to worry about, I'm Italian and I have skills - it just flows, social engineering isn't needed. (yes, my ego is talking)

Quirk-

Comment

I've been canned for subversion, insubordination, and general bad attitude. Does that count as stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
                  I've been canned for subversion, insubordination, and general bad attitude. Does that count as stupid?

My opinion, I'd say not stupid per se... you just dont take orders well and have your own views that those who said you had a bad attitude didn't agree with. Many of us in this culture don't take orders, we don't want to, and refuse to think "within the box" That is why we're intellectually superior and are always one step ahead of those that sit at a desk, and follow the guidelines because they're guinea pigs and don't think to break out of said mold and make waves.

Comment

I worked at a place a while back as an IDS analyst which happened to have a NOC populated by idiots.

One particular idiot - a dim-bulb moron of the highest order who couldn't grasp the fact that NetBIOS is not a routed protocol despite somehow obtaining a CCNP - really, really ground my ass with a constant barrage of stupid phone calls. "Is this user blocked by the IDS?" "No." "Well, he can't get to X so he must be blocked." "That's funny, because I just did a traceroute to X, and it appears as though one of the switches is down." "Oh."

What particularly pissed me off about all of this was that the guy could see the current block list on his terminal, so should be able to figure this shit out on his own.

The visualisation system on our IDS had about a three-minute lag between a block event happening and it appearing in the visualisation system. So if something got blocked just after it had refreshed, you wouldn't see the block for around three minutes.

I spent a period of several weeks randomly blocking him for two minutes.

It was great because he couldn't see it on the visualisation, but the block was in place just long enough to cause any login sessions he had to most of our tools or other devices to time out, resulting in him having to restart *everything* he worked with.

Not that I got canned for that. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

You are insanely evil, and I love every minute of it! Many NOCs as we know them are populated by mental midgets, sadly.

Quirk-

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                        I worked at a place a while back as an IDS analyst which happened to have a NOC populated by idiots.

<snip>
                        I spent a period of several weeks randomly blocking him for two minutes.

It was great because he couldn't see it on the visualisation, but the block was in place just long enough to cause any login sessions he had to most of our tools or other devices to time out, resulting in him having to restart *everything* he worked with.

Not that I got canned for that. Just thought I'd share.

You are my hero!

r0cketgrl

Comment

Originally posted by r0cketgrl
                          You are my hero!
                          Heh, thanks :) I should probably tell the epilogue, too...

Eventually Mr. Dim-bulb - in a diagnostic process I hope to never, ever understand - reaches the grand conclusion that his NIC must be flaky, and requests a replacement from MIS. It duly arrives, the MIS drone installs it, and swaps his ethernet connection over from the onboard NIC to the new one sitting in a slot somewhere.

Meanwhile, the random blocks continue. Again using his massive powers of analysis, dipshit determines that it must be a CPU problem and requests a new machine. MIS comes down, checks out the box, and everything (naturally) works fine. They suggest it could be a cabling problem and refer him to the cabling department to test his ethernet drop.

Three guesses as to cabling's verdict: perfectly fine. I decide to lay off tormenting him for a while lest he decide to start bothering engineering to replace the Catalyst 6509 serving our end of the facility. Besides, the last thing I need is for someone to pull a running config off of the box with an access list written by the IDS that I placed there with his IP address in it. Everything is just peachy for his network connection for a few weeks...

...Then the IDS sensor software undergoes an upgrade. We can now block a host's access to a specific TCP or UDP port as opposed to only the host's entire connection.

The fun and games resume, except he's now calling the helpdesk: "Is the mail server down? No? Oh wait, it's working again, but I can't get to Yahoo!. Hang on, I got to Yahoo!, but Ciscoworks just crashed on me..."

This was one of the very few perks at that place.

Comment

I busted a guy at work whom would spend close to 4 hours a day surfing for pr0n.. mostly fettish and animal stuff. The sad thing is, he did not get fired. He DID, however, have to go to "sex addiction rehab" for a month.. I bet that was fun to have to explain to the wife..
                            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                              Heh, thanks :) I should probably tell the epilogue, too...

Eventually Mr. Dim-bulb - in a diagnostic process I hope to never, ever understand - reaches the grand conclusion that his NIC must be flaky, and requests a replacement from MIS.
                              <snip>
                              ...Then the IDS sensor software undergoes an upgrade. We can now block a host's access to a specific TCP or UDP port as opposed to only the host's entire connection.

The fun and games resume, except he's now calling the helpdesk: "Is the mail server down? No? Oh wait, it's working again, but I can't get to Yahoo!. Hang on, I got to Yahoo!, but Ciscoworks just crashed on me..."

This was one of the very few perks at that place.
                              ROTFL! I so want to talk with you at Defcon!
                              r0cketgrl

Comment

Working...
                              X