Getting in to see the DC speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in to see the DC speakers?

If a person recalls DC 11, getting in to see the speakers was quite a challenge last year. Standing in line for sometime, in the heat, and limit the capacity of the rooms. Due to the fire marshall of Las Vegas.

Was is the attendance anticipated this year? What should be expected?

Any ideas on it will be handled this year?
    "I am the EPITOME of FRUGALITY, the KING OF CHEAPNESS, the TIGHTEST of the TIGHTWADS, the MASTER-BLASTER of PENNY PINCHING, the BISHOP of UNDER-BUDGETING, the CARDINAL of COST-CUTTING, I AM THE MASTER MISER!!!."

-Jim Sears

Originally posted by JockVSJock
    If a person recalls DC 11, getting in to see the speakers was quite a challenge last year: standing in line for a long time, in the heat, and dealing with enforced limits to room capacity imposed by the fire marshall of Las Vegas...

What attendance is anticipated this year? What should be expected?

Any ideas on how it will be handled this year?
    (Original quote modified slighlty)

In addition to this question, I skipped DC11, but recall earlier DC and even recall when they started piping *some* of the speakers to the various channels at the AP. (It was annoying to find some presentations piped to the rooms, and others not, and not being able to know if a presentation would actually be available to the room, or if I should actually fight for a spot in the presentation room.)

Will _all_ speakers' presentations be filmed and made available through the in-room channels? This is really nice when you want to see a presentation, and know you will not have any questions for the speakers. (Big thanks for those who provide the groundwork to make this possible!) This is also nice for small groups of peers, as we can talk about what is being presented from our room without bothering the other people in the actual presentation room.

(Every year, there are fewer, and fewer presentations which I find myself drawn to view, but when I do find some to attend, they are generally full, and having the option to view these from my room is _very nice_. If a presentation sucks, it is very easy to change to another channel. And with rooms having more than one TV, we can have two presentations running in different rooms.)

Re-stated question:
    Will _all_ speakers' presentations be filmed and made available through the in-room channels?

TIA
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 29, 2004, 08:54. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

yes, all the speakers were on defcon tv.
      "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The first couple of years we had some issues. The biggest being we only had X number of channels available so we could only broadcast X number of speakers at any given moment. We had to make on the fly decisions as to who was going to be the speaker with the biggest draw and broadcast them. Last year we had more channels available to us, but the hotel had some problems with their cable feeds. I think it will probably be all under control this year.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

i am not speaking bad about the staff, but i disagree with the way the space problem is being handled.

it's emphasized that defcon is not just a party, but about the talks as well. but their solution to no space is to watch it on tv.
          well, i didnt come to con to watch it on tv. if i wanted that, i wouldnt go at all and just watch the archives in july.
          even worse, that "watch it on defcon tv" solution only works at the AP, which sells out months in advance, not to mention that it's not the most budget friendly hotel choice for alot of us that plan 5 months in advance.

i just think that making the talks more available on dcTV is fixing the wrong problem.....
          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
            i am not speaking bad about the staff, but i disagree with the way the space problem is being handled.

it's emphasized that defcon is not just a party, but about the talks as well. but their solution to no space is to watch it on tv.
            well, i didnt come to con to watch it on tv. if i wanted that, i wouldnt go at all and just watch the archives in july.
            even worse, that "watch it on defcon tv" solution only works at the AP, which sells out months in advance, not to mention that it's not the most budget friendly hotel choice for alot of us that plan 5 months in advance.

i just think that making the talks more available on dcTV is fixing the wrong problem.....
            The TV solution is only a way of working around the space limitations. Efforts are being made to convert some of the larger spaces into speaking areas, but this means other areas have to suffer, such as the vendor room, which is always crowded as it is. There is a limited amount of space that we are dealing with. While we can't expand past solid walls, we can try to make the most of what we have.
            the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

:D

Comment

Everyone understands that DC is getting more popular and better every year, alot of people have commented on that. But it is nice to be able to get into a speaker's room, sit down and listen. AND, if you don't have hotel room with TV access, you are dead out of the water, infact we left our door open on our room just to let folks come in and watch presentations.

BUT, a few of my friends haven't decied not to go because of that limited capacity.

And yes I do remember that t-shirt that someone posted to this thread. Kind of the theme of last year's DC.
                "I am the EPITOME of FRUGALITY, the KING OF CHEAPNESS, the TIGHTEST of the TIGHTWADS, the MASTER-BLASTER of PENNY PINCHING, the BISHOP of UNDER-BUDGETING, the CARDINAL of COST-CUTTING, I AM THE MASTER MISER!!!."

-Jim Sears

Comment

I agree, the speaker rooms may have been tough but getting in was even tougher. If you just HAVE to be in the 4pm room A talk, you better get there at 10am, no one says everyone or anyone has to even leave the room. :(

Comment

i know this is WAY too early to realistically predict, but are the DC people looking at any other larger venues for DCXIII?

Comment

Originally posted by phobal
                      i know this is WAY too early to realistically predict, but are the DC people looking at any other larger venues for DCXIII?
                      You know, if we could incorporate the St. Tropez, the Liquor store and its parking lot, we'd have something!

Comment

and the scary drainage ditch where the bums sleep:

"Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jesse
                          and the scary drainage ditch where the bums sleep:
                          Are those bums or just Defconners that weren't able to secure an AP reservation?
                          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpus
                            Are those bums or just Defconners that weren't able to secure an AP reservation?
                            ha, how about both?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpus
                              (After having fully read and understanding the "war-verbing is dead" thread :-)

Naw, they are "war-sleeping".

]:>

Disclaimer:
                              This is like those funny jokes-- only different.

Comment

Working...
                              X