No announcement yet.

Getting in to see the DC speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a drainage ditch? I thought that was the VIP suite for the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      I agree, the speaker rooms may have been tough but getting in was even tougher. If you just HAVE to be in the 4pm room A talk, you better get there at 10am, no one says everyone or anyone has to even leave the room. :(
      Actually last year they cleared some of the rooms between presentations. Lots o' grumpiness.
      justazero -
      "Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily."
      - George Santayana

Comment

Lines and space to see the speakers

From all that I have heard... many of the issues from last year will be addressed, and fixed this year. There has been some moving around of rooms, better TV stuff, and the elimination of tracks. And some other things that will work to reduce said issues. Come.. have fun, learn new things. Do not let last years space issue infulence your choice.

TW

Comment

gettin in to hear speaker

Originally posted by JockVSJock
          If a person recalls DC 11, getting in to see the speakers was quite a challenge last year. Standing in line for sometime, in the heat, and limit the capacity of the rooms. Due to the fire marshall of Las Vegas.

Was is the attendance anticipated this year? What should be expected?

Any ideas on it will be handled this year?
          Any idea from anyone on how much in advance one should get in the line to see/hear a speaker?
          Are the speaker presentations available on audio cd/dvd? I mean if I miss one I figure a dvd of the presentation would be just as good.

Comment

Originally posted by macuber
            Any idea from anyone on how much in advance one should get in the line to see/hear a speaker?
            Are the speaker presentations available on audio cd/dvd? I mean if I miss one I figure a dvd of the presentation would be just as good.
            http://www.defcon.org/html/links/def...-archives.html
            http://www.tsok.net/tapelist.tpl?_ws...FCON&ac=DEFCON

I beleive sound of knowledge are a too mutch expensive, and the video are only available in VHS... Not that I want to be peaky but my Laptop still don't have a VHS drive...

Would recording video from the TV Broadcast, and producing DVD that I would sell (For fucking cheaper, just about enought to pay my expense, and at the end of defcon not 3 week later...) be legal? Or I'll get into trouble with Sound Of Knowledge people...
            /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Originally posted by macuber
              If you're staying at the AP, then you can usually catch the talk on cctv if you can't get into the room or are scared of large groups of people..
              a pc-0x90 by any other name is a nummish..
              Bigger 1:23

Comment

Yeah I remember, the anouncement on the TV, about the fire marshall. I remember 2 people returning to my room, and bitching about being removed from a lecture and not getting back in. I remember everyone grumbling.. I had people from the Tropez camping in my room.

I also remember thanking the AV Gods that the CCTV was actually fixed last year. We had a TV in each room tuned to a different lecture.
                I can say that the TV was a big improvement from DC9 and DC10 where the channels were Audio and no Video, or Video and no Audio. Or a screen of nothing or static.

Anyone considered some kind of pre-signup for the lectures? and then a line for people who want to take the no-shows seats?

Have a max number of lectures each person can presign for, using a card they get with the badge stamped or something for the lecture they signup for. They could always take someone elses card, but that person would have to give up lectures.

I dunno, I know it would piss off those people who want to attend every lecture they can, and just camp on a seat.

Maybe this year will be an improvement over last..

Comment

Last year was sad I finally planed my trip in enough time to get a room at the AP. Thank God I did cause for all but 1 presentation I was stuck in my room watching it on TV.

Benefits of that was :

Free beer
                  Good AC
                  Not having some huge over wheight thing spilling over on to your seat too.

Cons:

You are in your room all dam day, Christ sake your in vegas.
                  You couold not really network with the scene
                  Tv issues, no sound poor zoom in and so on.

Besides family reasons I think I am sitting this year out. The talks last year where repetive except a few a few, the lines where long and the nudity was slacken.

I hoope those that go enjoy them selves and the staff keeps up the great job they do. The Goons try their best to please us, but not everything is perfect. So thanks for the last few cons and hope to reunite next year.
                  --------------------------------------
                  In the end it is the computer that will format us.
                  ----------------------------------------

Comment

I missed a punch of talks last year but it was not cause i could not get in it was because i was sh*t faced drunk, this year i want to see more talks but i am wondering if i will get in. I have a place to stay at AP and was wondering if the rooms have VCR's so i could record the talk durring the day (before i get up.
                    kill your TV

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
                      I missed a punch of talks last year but it was not cause i could not get in it was because i was sh*t faced drunk, this year i want to see more talks but i am wondering if i will get in. I have a place to stay at AP and was wondering if the rooms have VCR's so i could record the talk durring the day (before i get up.
                      My last DC (10) and all previous ones at the AP showed no VCR in the rooms. However, I seem to recall the TV used standard 75-Ohm cable and one of the common US standards for sending CableTV signals to cable-ready TV. This suggests that use of your own VCR may be possible, but on the topic of "acceptable" you will have to consult with someone else.

Comment

My plan this year to get seats at the talks is something I call, booze-for-a-seat plan, I just need to figure out how much booze it takes to bribe a goon? any ideas ;)
                        ~:CK:~
                        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

My plan is slightly modified.

Originally posted by ck3k
                          My plan this year to get seats at the talks is something I call, booze-for-a-seat plan, I just need to figure out how much booze it takes to bribe a goon? any ideas ;)
                          My plan is the same but slightly modified. If I am not allowed into the conference room I plan to bribe my way into one of the hotel rooms to watch the talks. Beer works well in the daytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Shazaam
                            My plan is the same but slightly modified. If I am not allowed into the conference room I plan to bribe my way into one of the hotel rooms to watch the talks. Beer works well in the daytime.
                            Since I have a room, my plan is more slightly modified. If you want to watch the talks from my room... It's called "On your knee's Bitch".

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                              Since I have a room, my plan is more slightly modified. If you want to watch the talks from my room... It's called "On your knee's Bitch".
                              I take it females will not be subject to this requirement?

Comment

Here is a idea of what can be done. I think that they should offer a purchase of confrence passes online and a chance to reserve 1 talk a day. So you are guaranteed at least 3 talks.

Or some type of reserve system.
                                --------------------------------------
                                In the end it is the computer that will format us.
                                ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X