This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate of a speaker

Anybody know what happened to the guy that spoke on Saturday about cyberprotesting the RNC? He digressed into blowing stuff up and killing people and that wasn't cool. I heard he was in some trouble over that.

related

First story I've seen on this was on (of all places) Tom's Hardware:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/business/200408021/defcon-07.html

near the bottom of the page under "Tempers Flare"
    justazero -
    "Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily."
    - George Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by zero

http://www20.tomshardware.com/business/200408021/defcon-07.html

near the bottom of the page under "Tempers Flare"
      One of the many reasons why it is bad Karma to bring Politics to DefCon.

This also seems to explain conditions leading to Priest's "venting" for 6 minutes at the beginning of Dan Kaminsky's "Black Ops of TCP/IP 2004" which took place only a bit after that talk.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
        This also seems to explain conditions leading to Priest's "venting" for 6 minutes at the beginning of Dan Kaminsky's "Black Ops of TCP/IP 2004" which took place only a bit after that talk.
        I missed Priest's venting (I caught the talk just as Priest was doing a quick Spot-The-Fed). What he was "venting" about this time? How to responsibly handle/debate differing opinions? A warning against issuing a "call to arms"?

I know that it is difficult to berate the attendees of Defcon in the same elegant manner as Priest, but a short summary would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

The venting was mainly his opinion that the kid was a terrorist rather than a freedom fighter, and that people who didn't want to vote should STFU.

Priest got old for me a couple years ago. Same jokes every year. Same shameless need to preempt panels with his own show. I'd miss him if he wasn't there, but I cringe whenever he enters the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
            What he was "venting" about this time? How to responsibly handle/debate differing opinions? A warning against issuing a "call to arms"?
            ...Comments on people who work to make defcon work as being at different places on the political spectrum, but all share the right to speech, the constitution, etc. and asking people who consider the U.S. as a tyranny to visit China, Iraq, etc....

Priest did well this year; he did not blanket accuse everyone as being bad people, but chose to target the people who actually deserved it.

Even the comments he made were more statements of opinion than accusation.

Most of what he had to say was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
              and asking people who consider the U.S. as a tyranny to visit China, Iraq, etc....
              although i didn't catch this talk or priest's venting (my vodka adventures from friday night's leetest link put a serious damper on my saturday activities), i always find things like this somewhat insulting - i think even the most rabid anti-american american would be willing to admit that we've got it better over here than the people in china or iraq, but that's missing the point - which is that just because it's better than some places doesn't mean that it's the way it ought to be.

one can be thankful and yet still discontent enough to want improvement.

Comment

This thread has the danger of becoming a thread on politics.

If you are reading this post, resist the urge to post political opinion in reply.

Comment

I'm still trying to get more information about what happened so that I can post it on tomshardware as a news update. People have been emailing me, but I have no other information.

I suppose it will all come out when the talk is put up on the media archives.

Also... I apologize for the title of the article "Defcon 12's Fear and Hacking in Vegas". I submitted it as "Defcon 12:Hackers in Vegas, but the title was changed to make it more sensational.

I really disagree with having the word fear in the title because it implies that Defcon people cause fear.

I'm fighting to have it changed... but I may be on the losing end.

Currently the Bluesniper video is corrupted on the article... I'm going to upload a good copy to my site www.not5150.com in about an hour. The tomshardware file should be fixed tomorrow (they are on German time).

Humphrey Cheung
                  Editor - www.tomshardware.com

Comment

Originally posted by not5150
                    Also... I apologize for the title of the article "Defcon 12's Fear and Hacking in Vegas". I submitted it as "Defcon 12:Hackers in Vegas, but the title was changed to make it more sensational.

I really disagree with having the word fear in the title because it implies that Defcon people cause fear.
                    Not at all. The title is a play on the Hunter S. Thompson book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Terry Gilliam did a film adaptation with Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro several years back that was excellent.
                    Last edited by drdank; August 2, 2004, 19:51. Reason: Fixed spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by not5150
                      I suppose it will all come out when the talk is put up on the media archives.
                      I believe that one of the things Priest said was that that talk wasn't what Defcon is about, that it doesn't have any place at Defcon, and that it won't be in the archives or on the DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by bean
                        I believe that one of the things Priest said was that that talk wasn't what Defcon is about, that it doesn't have any place at Defcon, and that it won't be in the archives or on the DVD.
                        I have to admit before going any further that I was unable to attend this year due to illness. However...

Keeping the politics out of hacking is spot-on. I've heard the recounts of his presentation, and pretty much feel that he opened himself up to rampant criticism with his points of view. While he may be entirely entitled to state them, that doesn't mean that anyone has to agree with them. The late Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes summed it up best when he said "the right to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose."

By the same token, if I walk into a biker bar and shout, "BIKERS ARE PUSSIES", I probably shouldn't be surprised when the same bikers stomp my ass sideways.

Freedom's a bitch in that it cuts both ways. Hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                          Hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson from all of this.
                          Yes... and that is: ALWAYS tip your goon.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                            Keeping the politics out of hacking is spot-on.
                            Well, I think there are aspects to hacking that are political by nature (in the sense that the topic of hacking brings up political topics like the DMCA and the Patriot Act), but yeah, talks that are purely political and have very little (if anything) to do with hacking shouldn't have any place at Defcon. I'm glad Priest made that distinction, even if it did mean we had to wait to see Dan Kaminsky talk.

Comment

Originally posted by bean
                              Well, I think there are aspects to hacking that are political by nature (in the sense that the topic of hacking brings up political topics like the DMCA and the Patriot Act), but yeah, talks that are purely political and have very little (if anything) to do with hacking shouldn't have any place at Defcon. I'm glad Priest made that distinction, even if it did mean we had to wait to see Dan Kaminsky talk.
                              Good point, and my apologies for not distinguishing between the two initially. There is a world of difference between being aware of political issues that have a direct impart and being subject to what amounts to little more than a diatribe.

Comment

Working...
                              X