ShmooCon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShmooCon?

Just curious if anyone else is heading to ShmooCon in DC on Feb 4th-6th?

http://www.shmoocon.org/

I'm trying to go. They seem interested in the development of the Render Warwalking Rig. Just waiting to hear back.

Figure it's a good excuse to go and checkout somewhere new, 6 years of NYC/Vegas trips is getting repetative.

Not gonna be cheap though.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I am 95% positive that I will be attending.

If you're planning on attending, now is the time to register. The price is only going to go up as the date of the con nears...

Now - September 30 = $99

October 1 - December 31 = $149

January 1 - January 31 = $199

February 1 - February 5 = $250

Also, just announced today, Caezar will be the keynote speaker.
      http://www.shmoocon.org/program.html#eller
      You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

I'm considering it, too.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I'm interested also but forking out $99 for promises of being entertaining? Nothing is listed on the program and they are upping registration to $149 after september? Schmoocon needs to get a little more real.

Comment

They need to extend the $99 registration until they post even a preliminary program with speakers. Not having a program or even broad topic areas does not bode well.

Comment

This is great feedback, guys, and we appreciate it. Let me see if I can address some of your concerns.

Planning for ShmooCon began in January of this year. Many folks, a nifty percentage of whom are NOT Shmoo, have been helping out, and a great deal of thought and preparation is going into this conference. We are determined to kick ass and create a very enjoyable experience for attendees.

The final official price we came up with for ShmooCon was $250. I don't like that price, because it definitely creates a barrier to entry for some people, but it's a neccessary evil to help meet the costs associated with what we want to do. The nation's capital is not a cheap place to throw a con. But to give folks who are truly intent on attending, but don't have the coin to throw around, an inexpensive option, we have created a price break schedule, which was posted above.

That being said, I can understand how some people are wary to throw even $99 down for a con that has not publicly disclosed who all is speaking. I could just posture here and say, "Trust us, it's WELL worth the $99--even the $250 is a DEAL" but fuck that, you deserve better. So I've started leaking some of the internal details to the website and announcement mailing list, such as Caezar as our keynote, and Bruce and h1kari, who never disappoint with their talks. There are other speakers in the wings we'll be confirming and announcing this week, as well.

And naturally, as a reviewer of proposals, I've gotten to see advance designs on some shit that people are planning to bring to ShmooCon that will completely rock your socks off. Some of these devices are just off the fuckin' hook. That was one of our main motivations for starting ShmooCon and showing off some devices like 802.11bounce (a.k.a. the Wi-Fi Hand Grenade), the Hackerbot, and the Sniper Yagi at DefCon. As Pablos said, "Build cool shit!" We love hacker gadgets, and of course, we're down with people that just want to sling killer code--ShmooCon's just yet another opportunity to show what you're working on, with the Shmoo footing a good part of the bill.

That being said, this is not just a hardware and software hacking conference, but an environment for conversing with friends and fellow enthusiasts. Born out of the kickass breakout conversations we've had at ToorCon, and fueled by mass quantities of alcohol, we're going out on a limb with a track entirely devoted to hackers that just want to talk with other hackers. Come up with a topic near and dear to your heart, moderate a BoF, and hash shit out in "BoF It!".

So hopefully, this post gives you a better idea of the topic areas than what the CFP implies. I wish I could leak more right now, but that's not fair to those who have entrusted their closely held projects / ideas to us for review as they are still hacking away.

This unfortunately translates into several "TBA" topics, until we get closer to the dates, which brings us back to going on faith and throwing $99 our way by September 30th. So I tell you what, I'll put MY money where my mouth is and say this: If any of you, upon reading this post, register by September 30th, attend the con, and you are disappointed with ShmooCon, then tell me, and I will give you your $99 back.

That's right, I'm offering a money-back garauntee to folks who pre-register by September 30th. I shit you not, that's how much faith *I* have in the quality of this conference.

So that's upping the ante--register early, save yourself some dough, save yourself a seat, get a free t-shirt, get a free sticker, and if you don't like the con, get your $99 back from yours truly.

Naturally, we need continuous support, particularly from people who have historically enjoyed the West coast hacker conferences and frequent these forums. We feel the D.C. area security geeks, as well as feds and beltway bandits, will just fall in line for a neighborhood con they simply have to hop on the Metro for. But I want a meeting of the minds, and I know damn well that security clue is not just a D.C. concern / forte having many important relationships with geeks out West that I'm truly thankful for. So do us a HUGE favor, register, and help spread the word so we can all break shit, build shit, and BoF shit in the nation's capital.

Thanks again for the comments and feedback and I look forward to talking with you more in these forums, and hopefully, meeting you personally at ShmooCon.

Sincerely,

Beetle

P.S.--If you're on the West coast with a boring weekend in front of you, please consider making a trek to San Diego and hanging out at ToorCon. It's one of our favorite cons, there's plenty of clue, and the Shmoo Group is helping sponsor it this year, to include giving you a taste of ShmooCon in advance with a decent number of BoFs.

Comment

I just may ventue out to this. Seems decent and a couple hundred bucks is not too much of an investment.

Comment

I'm going to be there, what more reason then that do you require?

You know where ever stitch and I show up there is a Queer Consulate setup in our room. Thus, just the ability to come hangout and party with us should be more then enough.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard

You know where ever stitch and I show up there is a Queer Consulate setup in our room. Thus, just the ability to come hangout and party with us should be more then enough.
                    Well, that makes me really want to come out now. Good times are sure to be had. Where'd I put the Diplomatic Immunity card...

What the hell, I'll make the trek no matter if I'm selected or not. See you in D.C.!
                    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I never doubted the promises of entertainment.

Originally posted by beetle
                      This is great feedback, guys, and we appreciate it. Let me see if I can address some of your concerns.
                      Thanks for taking the time to respond and providing more info. Looks like quality stuff. I will definitely give it serious consideration.

Comment

I still got my Diplomatic Immunity, I'll be there. ;)
                        Thorn
                        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

It is nice to see the return of a mid-atlantic con. It has been years since Summercon was held in DC (I think it was 1998?). Oops, looks like there was one held in DC in 2002, who would have known.

The "register fast" price scheme seems interesting, will it deter people from registering as the con grows near? Will schmoo renig on it? Time will tell. I plan to register soon... but others I know will most likely miss out because some will have issues trying to predict their schedule. I believe I totally understand the goal, that is to get everyone to register early so they can predict what size crowd there will be. Understood.

Word will spread, but will it be in time?

Look forward to the con, and hope we will have something to contribute. Personally my money is tied up in many other projects so I'm not sure if I will have the cash to fund one of the projects that is on the table, it would be interesting.

I dig what the group is trying to do! Much props.

Beetle, it might benefit you to put a forum system on your page so the people planning to attend can communicate and prepare.

Comment

They had to wait until I left NOVA and moved back to Texas...damn you Schmoo! ;-) Seriously though, if I were in the area, I would be all over this. Have fun everyone!
                            Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
                              They had to wait until I left NOVA and moved back to Texas...damn you Schmoo! ;-) Seriously though, if I were in the area, I would be all over this. Have fun everyone!

Or you could fly in for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X