Antennas for WarDriving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antennas for WarDriving

Since I'm not too much into this right now, I was just wondering what antennas everyone uses. I've looked up plenty online, and decided on a couple I like, but I just wanted some other opinions. What kind of antennas do you use? What do you like about yours that isn't in some others (if anything other than money)? Or do you even use an antenna? I want to hear what you all have to say!

Originally posted by MidnightViper
    Since I'm not too much into this right now, I was just wondering what antennas everyone uses. I've looked up plenty online, and decided on a couple I like, but I just wanted some other opinions. What kind of antennas do you use? What do you like about yours that isn't in some others (if anything other than money)? Or do you even use an antenna? I want to hear what you all have to say!

I use a Maxrad Wisp 15dBi yagi antenna attached to my Cisco 253 LMR card. I have a 19 inch MMCX to N-Male pigtail to connect the two together. I also have a Maxrad Blade antenna on my laptop lid and that is primarily used for my home use. When I am warflying I use my Dell Axim PDA and no external antenna.

If you have any questions on where to get antenna and pigtails let me know as I have them and you fellow wardrivers such as yourself get a discount.

Comment

I use FAB's 5 dBi Magnetic Mount Omni Antenna...it seems to be "the standard" for a lot of wardrivers...netstumbler has a forum for wardrivers, you'll find the largest collection of knowledgable wardrivers there... of course as is good practice in any forum,read the FAQ before you post, or post at your own peril...
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I do apologize to the forum moderator for my shameless plug for my company that I wrote above.

On another note I have a new wardriving solution:

Cisco AIR-LMC 352 Card with a Maxrad Blade antenna on once side and a 19 inch MMCX to N-Male pigtail on the other, the antenna is a 13dBi Maxrad Wisp 13dBi antenna and it is great. Not only did I save money with this setup I also picked up more access points because of the broader beam width. When you turn a directional antenna too fast Netstumbler may not pick up a access point and if you have a low gain omni such as a 5dBi omni it will not pick up all of the access points in the area. Don’t get me wrong, omni directional antennas are great for wardriving but sometimes they just do not pick up as many access points. I the other solution that I have found to be extremely effective is:

Cisco AIR-LMC 352 Card with a 19 inch MMCX to N-Male pigtail and a 1 watt amp and then a N-Male to N-Male Barrel adapter and a Mobile Mark Mini-Mag antenna. This solution is for the ultimate wardriving experience and I will let you know that this solution is legal and will get you a ton of access points.

If anyone has antenna questions just post them here and I will do my best to answer them as I have had a large amount of antennas in my hands and tested them. I have also taken them apart and looked at the way they were made.

-J

Comment

Originally posted by JasonatFAB
          I do apologize to the forum moderator for my shameless plug for my company that I wrote above.
          -J
          OT: I personally have no problem with this, You are up front about your affiliation, and y'all have been awesome in supporting the Wardriving contests in the past. I have always recommended FAB since my first purchase back in 2002. Again, this is just me.

Back On-Topic: I have used both the 5 dBi Mini-mag omni that everyone else has, as well as the 5.5 dBi Orinoco mini-mag, and put both through hell with no problems. I have used the Antenex 14.6 dBi Yagi for assessments and found it to be very capable.
          Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
            OT: I personally have no problem with this, You are up front about your affiliation, and y'all have been awesome in supporting the Wardriving contests in the past. I have always recommended FAB since my first purchase back in 2002. Again, this is just me.

Back On-Topic: I have used both the 5 dBi Mini-mag omni that everyone else has, as well as the 5.5 dBi Orinoco mini-mag, and put both through hell with no problems. I have used the Antenex 14.6 dBi Yagi for assessments and found it to be very capable.

I have no problem with this either. Are you guys going to open the NetStumbler discount up to members of the DC forum as well?
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
              I have no problem with this either. Are you guys going to open the NetStumbler discount up to members of the DC forum as well?
              Of course we will give the netstumbler discount to the DC forum. If you visit the NS forums you will see the discounts posted from Borgman, that is Sean Fleeman. I am doing my best to make it out to DC 13. With all luck Sean and I will make it out this year as last year we were unable to attend. I do not know who it was but I would like to thank whomever sent us the hotel room key and merch from Defcon.

I know this is starting to get off topic but at a attemp to get it back on topic:

What are you guys and gals (it would be nice) using for wardriving solutions?

-J

Comment

I know this is starting to get off topic but at a attemp to get it back on topic:

What are you guys and gals (it would be nice) using for wardriving solutions?

-J
                I think if you take a look at my account I probobly owe FAB my first born by now:

2 X 5db Mag mount omni's into a 2 way splitter into 100mw Amp to an Orinoco Gold

2 X 16db Vagi directionals into modded WRT54G running Kismet Drone

Soon to be added after spring thaw:

1 X 7.4 db omni

And yes, I am running it all at the same time, and no I have'nt cooked my nuts yet, just a few brain cells.

Now to figure out how to get the teddy bear to wardrive...
                Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I do not know who it was but I would like to thank whomever sent us the hotel room key and merch from Defcon.

-J

You are quite welcome.

Sean has been great for us (the WD contest) it was the least I could do.
                  perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Currently using: Orinoco Gold Classic (Enterasys) 802.11b - Card has a internal 2 dBI antenna
                    5.5 dBi magnetic antenna (6" tall) with a 5 foot low loss cable
                    NetStumbler 0.4.0

I am currently shopping around for a good GPS receiver. I know someone that has a Sapphire and it's an excellent product but hard as hell to find in the States. Any suggestions or opinions on GPS? In regards to the antenna, at what point is the antenna overkill?
                    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
                    -Homer Simpson

Comment

You have a very good question as I have a lot of customers who want the best WIFI system so they buy a 1 watt amp and a 24dBi grid antenna and then wonder why it does not work for a distance of 150 feet. You know you have too much power (too large of a antenna) when you have a high signal strength and a low siganl quality. This is because the signal is so powerful that is overdrives the receiver. Here is something I basically use:

8.5dBi patch antenna for discances between 50 feet and 600 feet
                      13dBi patch antenna for distances between 500 feet and 2.5 miles
                      19dBi patch antenna for distances between 1000 feet and a 4 miles

Notice that the antennas overlap as per EVERY application is differnt. These are also for line of sight applications as this is 2.4GHz and this is the same frequency that cooks your food but at a much less power level.

I told one of my customers that he should setup his link and get his bridge and access point working before he set them up in the feild. This will help you trouble shoot anything since both units are nearby. I told this customer to set up the tow radios but to not connect the external antennas as this would be overkill. This customer did not listen and after getting frustrated he called me and asked what he was doing wrong. This was his setup:

Linksys WAP11 - R-TNC Male to N-Mail adapter - DC power injector - 50 foot N-Male to N-Male jumper - 2 watt outdoor amp - 24dBi grid antenna.

The other side of his link wa:

Linksys WET11 - R-SMA Male to N-Mail adapter - DC power injector - 50 foot N-Male to N-Male jumper - 2 watt outdoor amp - 24dBi grid antenna.

He had these in his garage pointing towards each other and then he called me via his cell phone while he was stanting in the center of them. He actually was feeling warmer and warmer. He had roughly 501 watts radiating out of each antenna and he was directly in the center of the two, needless to say I told him to leave the room and go see a doctor as he was cooking. I am telling you this so that you do not make the same mistake that he did :-)

I know you will be operating at a lower power but it is still not a good idea to get a antenna with such a high gain antenna that you do not get signal.

Originally posted by guile
                      Currently using: Orinoco Gold Classic (Enterasys) 802.11b - Card has a internal 2 dBI antenna
                      5.5 dBi magnetic antenna (6" tall) with a 5 foot low loss cable
                      NetStumbler 0.4.0

I am currently shopping around for a good GPS receiver. I know someone that has a Sapphire and it's an excellent product but hard as hell to find in the States. Any suggestions or opinions on GPS? In regards to the antenna, at what point is the antenna overkill?

Comment

I know you will be operating at a lower power but it is still not a good idea to get a antenna with such a high gain antenna that you do not get signal.
                        I don't plan on getting anything too strong. What I want to be able to do is hit APs in subdivisions without necessarily driving through the whole subdivision. so probably at least a 1,000 foot range. With my current setup I'm coming up a little short. Probably cause of obstructions from structures. What do you think would be a good antenna to use without a amp?
                        -Homer Simpson

Comment

I am guessing that you would like a antenna at your home as opposed to your vehicle. In this case you could do a variety of things:

If you do not mind having a 5 foot tall antenna on your house then a 12dBi or 15.4dBi omni directional antenna would be a great choice as you would receive signal from all directions. One problem you will have is your computer will automaticall select the strongest signal and start using it and since you will have multiple signals you will have a issue, you can fix this issue by simply changing the preferences on your wireless card so that you can manually pick the connection you want to use.

You can get a directional antenna such as a yagi antenna and since it is small it is not an eye sore. You will have to go outside and physically change the direction it is pointing whenever you want to change the access point you are connected to. Ralph (Another FAB guy) has a Antenex Yagi antenna attached to a rotator and the rotator is a two part device that consists of a controller that stays in your house and then a rotator that get put on the top of a pole. When you turn the dial on the controller the rotator turns in that direction a full 360 degrees). This is a very interesting way to war drive and Ralph calls it wardialing (not to be confused with wardialing with phones)

Either option is a good choice but If I were you I would use option one as it is easier to set up and less hassle. We have kits that have everything that you would need and the kits consist of:

Antenna
                          25 or 50 feet of coax
                          Lightning arrestor
                          4 foot adapter cable
                          weather proofing

Originally posted by guile
                          I don't plan on getting anything too strong. What I want to be able to do is hit APs in subdivisions without necessarily driving through the whole subdivision. so probably at least a 1,000 foot range. With my current setup I'm coming up a little short. Probably cause of obstructions from structures. What do you think would be a good antenna to use without a amp?

Comment

[QUOTE=JasonatFAB]I am guessing that you would like a antenna at your home as opposed to your vehicle. In this case you could do a variety of things:

Actually I need it for my car. I understand that driving through subdivisions will be necessary because of all of the structures blocking signal, but what I want to know is what antenna will give the best coverage for areas with alot of trees or structures. Basically what I want to be able to do is drive through a subdivision and use the major cross streets and not have to zig zag as much through the area.
                            -Homer Simpson

Comment

[QUOTE=guile]
                              I am guessing that you would like a antenna at your home as opposed to your vehicle. In this case you could do a variety of things:

Actually I need it for my car. I understand that driving through subdivisions will be necessary because of all of the structures blocking signal, but what I want to know is what antenna will give the best coverage for areas with alot of trees or structures. Basically what I want to be able to do is drive through a subdivision and use the major cross streets and not have to zig zag as much through the area.
                              With my above mentioned rig, The omni's on the roof fill in the shorter range area immediatly around me, generally scanning 1 street either side of where I'm travelling.

The directionals are more for deep scanning for AP's in basements and faint signals. They also come in very handy when going through intersections and and passing side streets that you can see several blocks down.

My setup has performed insanely well and gets me 2-3 times the hits just using the omni's will
                              Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Working...
                              X