Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antennas for WarDriving

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    [QUOTE=renderman]
    Originally posted by guile

    With my above mentioned rig, The omni's on the roof fill in the shorter range area immediatly around me, generally scanning 1 street either side of where I'm travelling.

    The directionals are more for deep scanning for AP's in basements and faint signals. They also come in very handy when going through intersections and and passing side streets that you can see several blocks down.

    My setup has performed insanely well and gets me 2-3 times the hits just using the omni's will

    That's exactly what I'm wanting to do. Be able to hit the two sides as I pass through intersections. So maybe look at directinal antennas for the sides and have a omni to reach out and touch the APs that are farther away.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    -Homer Simpson

    Comment


    • #17
      [QUOTE=guile]
      Originally posted by renderman


      That's exactly what I'm wanting to do. Be able to hit the two sides as I pass through intersections. So maybe look at directinal antennas for the sides and have a omni to reach out and touch the APs that are farther away.
      Actually the omni's would be picking up the closer range stuff, the directionals detect better as thier beam width widens (farther away)
      Never drink anything larger than your head!





      Comment


      • #18
        Wow...I must say a lot of interesting stuff.

        I'm new to the WarDriving scene, been doing it for a while with my little Motorola WLAN Card. What's a good setup I can get for aound $100.00 that would allow me to get max range to pick up more APs?
        Patrick "Cypher" Stueck
        Project Manager

        KnightDreams Interactive, Inc.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Cypher
          Wow...I must say a lot of interesting stuff.

          I'm new to the WarDriving scene, been doing it for a while with my little Motorola WLAN Card. What's a good setup I can get for aound $100.00 that would allow me to get max range to pick up more APs?
          Goto http://www.fab-corp.com/
          get the 5 dBi Magnetic Mount Omni Antenna ($55)
          and a pigtail ($18.95)
          and the ORiNOCO Classic Wireless Gold Card ($50)

          The ORiNOCO card is one of the few that has an antenna jack. The pigtail plugs into the card, and connects to the antenna.

          OK, it's a little over $100, but it will be the best money you ever spend on wardriving equipment.
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by theprez98
            Goto http://www.fab-corp.com/
            get the 5 dBi Magnetic Mount Omni Antenna ($55)
            and a pigtail ($18.95)
            and the ORiNOCO Classic Wireless Gold Card ($50)

            The ORiNOCO card is one of the few that has an antenna jack. The pigtail plugs into the card, and connects to the antenna.

            OK, it's a little over $100, but it will be the best money you ever spend on wardriving equipment.
            Thanks.

            Which pigtail would I need? According to the item description it comes with a N female pigtail on 9 feet of low loss LMR-240 coax.

            Can you point out which specific pigtail I will need to connect to the ORiNOCO card?
            Patrick "Cypher" Stueck
            Project Manager

            KnightDreams Interactive, Inc.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Cypher
              Thanks.

              Which pigtail would I need? According to the item description it comes with a N female pigtail on 9 feet of low loss LMR-240 coax.

              Can you point out which specific pigtail I will need to connect to the ORiNOCO card?
              12 inch ORiNOCO/Avaya to N-Male Pigtail is the one that works with the card. If I were you, I'd solicit other people's opinions too, these are just mine. Although I suspect many people would agree.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by theprez98
                12 inch ORiNOCO/Avaya to N-Male Pigtail is the one that works with the card. If I were you, I'd solicit other people's opinions too, these are just mine. Although I suspect many people would agree.
                That's pretty much the 'standard' rig everyone uses. Very reliable, works fine. I even had one of those antennas survive a deer hit at 75mph.
                Never drink anything larger than your head!





                Comment

                Working...
                X