Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astcell
    Good work Highwiz.
    agreed. lying doesn't get you anywhere in life, kids.

Comment

Lying is hard because you have to remember everything you told everyone. I posted here (ages ago) that we really don't mind if you are a burger flipper IRL. It's okay, we've all been there, coolness is not dictated by money.

Unless you're after scene whores.

Comment

I posted here (ages ago) that we really don't mind if you are a burger flipper IRL. It's okay, we've all been there, coolness is not dictated by money.
        Psssst! For the sake of posterity, I posted a citation in my last post (a few posts above thiis post) to the post I think you are posting about. (Was that the post you were thinking of?)

It was sage advice then, and still is now.

Unless you're after scene whores.
        Better to postpone that--- indefinitely.

Comment

Wow, thanks for quoting me TheCotMan, I am flattered. Guess I never expected it that's whyI missed it. How did you find the post so fast?!

Comment

I think the matter of someone like dementeddemon lying is partially our fault. I'm not taking him off the hook for purporting to be something he is not, but I won't lay all the blame and responsibility on him.

I believe many of the new people who come to this forum do so not just to gain knowledge, but in many cases for a sense of acceptance. To say we don't provide the warmest welcome would be an understatement, I don't even think the word "hostile" would be strong enough - and when I say "we", I do include myself as a primary. But I'll address this issue later.

For many of them I believe they are in some facet the be all to end all of hackerdom in their peers minds. My guess would be they do this because they think it's "cool" and that people will like them more. I suppose they take that same philosophy when they join these forums - an intent to impress others. I don't think we need to discuss the psycholocial or sociological factors that lead to this happen - Anyone who went to High School and wasn't uber-popular can see where they are coming from.

This all leads back to our community type as a whole. I think as individuals many of us are skeptical, and that's because of the mind set that many of us hold. Often times this is necessary in our professional lives and being skeptical is a facet (in my opinion) of the greater hacker-mindset.

This is not meant to be an excuse for any of our actions, but rather an explination.

The other issue is the types of person who come here. A few of them are simply upto no good. This is obvious from postings asking about trojans or how to hack such and such. And this factor further leads to our wary nature of new people. I believe the paranoid nature of the community still runs rampant, which is idiotic since a portion of the community works for the government or corporate america. No-one sold out, the community just grew up and fewer and fewer younger people are stepping up.

Getting back to my point, since I went kinda off topic...

I guess I should address this to DementedDemon and the other new people.

Be who you are

This is a matter I have a lot of personal experience on so I'll give you some advice that I learned before and after I came out, and relate it to this culture.

When you try to be something you're not, the person you will hurt the most is yourself.

1) Work
            ASTcell made the point, no-one here cares if you work at a gas station or for a fortune 500. If they do, then they're elists, and you don't want to associate with them anyway. Some of my friends in this community work for large companies or government entites, some are college/high school and some are unemployed. Work seldom comes up in our conversation.

2) Knowledge
            I agree with the statement that knowledge is power. But no-one on this earth knows everything. It's not disgraceful to say you don't know something. I don't know a lot of things! I'm not an expert in all fields of computers! But I know how to search for the answer, and if you are hear, reading this, then you should too. Google is a house hold word, and there is a search function on this forum. If neither of them turn up results ask someone. Tell them how you looked for xxxx on google by using xxx yyyy zop as the search string. If you do that, people will help (As long as you're not trying to be malicious in nature). I ask people questions all the time about things I don't know.

3) Age
            Very few people here care about how old you are. I can name a number of people on here who are under 21 that are my friends and I have the utmost respect for. Ya know why? Because age isn't a factor. If you act like a fucktard, no-matter what your age, people aren't going to like you. Prime Examples of people who are under 21, Xodia, Ck3k, TwinVega, GodMinusOne... All of whom I consider to be friends.

Anyway, I'll stop this post since I'm already encroaching on TheCotMan's Game...

But just remember:
            You will pay a heavy price for lack of honesty, an I don't mean externally.

Comment

As far as age, you forgot Nulltone! These boards would not be here if it was not for him. I heard he started shaving last month. Congratulations Nulltone.

I have to agree, you can be the leetest programmer west of the Pecos and no one would want to hang with you. Computer knowledge and a person's character and not dependent on one another.

Comment

As far as age, you forgot Nulltone! These boards would not be here if it was not for him. I heard he started shaving last month. Congratulations Nulltone.

I have to agree, you can be the leetest programmer west of the Pecos and no one would want to hang with you. Computer knowledge and a person's character and not dependent on one another.

Nulltone is just an old man in a little boys body, so he doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                  Nulltone is just an old man in a little boys body, so he doesn't count.
                  I'll take your word for that, I'm sure you have seen more of him than I have.

Comment

I think the matter of someone like dementeddemon lying is partially our fault. I'm not taking him off the hook for purporting to be something he is not, but I won't lay

**snip for length**

Anyway, I'll stop this post since I'm already encroaching on TheCotMan's Game...

But just remember:
                    You will pay a heavy price for lack of honesty, an I don't mean externally.

Well put High Wiz.

Part of what originally attracted me to these forums was the weeding out of asshattery ...

I find I have to wade though fewer "I am the r0x0r" posts here than in many other forums...

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                      From your spelling, grammer, and general outlook on life.. Good luck when the cyber cafe goes out of bussiness. Or when they find someone to do your job, for cheaper.

Oppurtunity is short term most of the time, education is life long.
                      I was just thinking, this sounds like the kind of job one could replace with a bit of code.

-edit- having read the rest of the thread, i could definitely write code to replace his job. I'll call it ... posting_lies_on_forums.pl. It will post random Bush quotes. ;]
                      Last edited by lucifex; February 19, 2005, 19:21.

Comment

1) Work
                        ASTcell made the point, no-one here cares if you work at a gas station or for a fortune 500. If they do, then they're elists, and you don't want to associate with them anyway. Some of my friends in this community work for large companies or government entites, some are college/high school and some are unemployed. Work seldom comes up in our conversation.
                        Amen. The most talented hacker I know makes $500/mo + room & board for taking care of two young children (mine, interestingly enough).

Comment

Wow, thanks for quoting me TheCotMan, I am flattered. Guess I never expected it that's whyI missed it. How did you find the post so fast?!
                          I remembered the post, and knew enough keywords to use the forums search. :-) Why remember it? Because it is worth the malloc.

[Content below this point includes multiple post-replies placed in one post]

Originally posted by Highwizard
                          [A great deal of quality advice and wisdom chopped]
                          Naw... you aren't encroaching on my Game because the information you provided in your long post is worth something, while my typing is used as a source for increasing entropy.

Originally posted by Lost
                          Part of what originally attracted me to these forums was the weeding out of asshattery ...
                          I find I have to wade though fewer "I am the r0x0r" posts here than in many other forums...
                          Heh. :-) When I first viewed these forums around the time they were put up, I found them to be comprised of uninteresting flame-fests. As a result, I did not feel any desire to contribute. However, now they have changed a bit, and my understanding of their purpose has changed too.
                          Last edited by TheCotMan; February 21, 2005, 19:21. Reason: Added replies to other posts in this one

Comment

Working...
                          X