Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Defcon seminars be used as credit for certification renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Defcon seminars be used as credit for certification renewal?

Hello, was just wondering if anyone here has been able to use sit-ins at Defcon seminars as credit to get certifications renewed, like the CISSP...

A reason for rejection

The information in the seminar is excellent. However attendance at DEFCON could easily be seen as a reason to deny certification, especially CISSP. They would likely see it as giving a locksmithing license to a safe cracker. Any one attending a hacker convention is suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Shazaam
      However attendance at DEFCON could easily be seen as a reason to deny certification
      This is just wrong, period. Attendance at DefCon will not get you expelled from any professional organization. On the off chance it does, then that organiztion is not worth the two bean to be in it anyways.

Usually CISSP credits for renewal need to come from a more structured event, such as Trainings (not brefings) at BlackHat, or SANS tracks. There is no test at the end of a talk, and DefCon doesn't really have focused learning tracks.
      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Shazaam
        The information in the seminar is excellent. However attendance at DEFCON could easily be seen as a reason to deny certification, especially CISSP. They would likely see it as giving a locksmithing license to a safe cracker. Any one attending a hacker convention is suspect.

As hackajar said, this is just silly. I actually looked to see if this nonsense was posted on April 1st.
        You will not lose your CISSP for attending DEF CON. That's just retarded.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Not what I meant to say

I did not mean to say that you would lose accreditation by attending DEFCON. Certification is used to boost your own cause, typically on a resume. Most of the people I work with know I attend DEFCON. I do not put it on my resume however. I have great respect for the training at DEFCON but I would not expect any one outside the community to honor it.

Comment

Putting DEFCON on a resume, to me, is like telling me you were in the TKE fraternity in college. It says more about you as a person than the education received.

That can be good. I'd never want to work for anyone who thought Defcon sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
              Putting DEFCON on a resume, to me, is like telling me you were in the TKE fraternity in college. It says more about you as a person than the education received.

That can be good. I'd never want to work for anyone who thought Defcon sucked.
              ... or you could have your employer find something like this and shoot any employment chances to hell. Folks I work with know I go to defcon, but I do not and would not put it on a resume. (Although it would be interesting.. Experiance: Defcon Goon: Organized Pool 2 Girl orgy.)
              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

I'll use this on my resume, che. This is me in the bottom right corner!

Did I mention my pool2girl business cards?

Comment

Cant' get laid elsewhere???

try Delta (tri-delt)

Goddess I really didn't like those snot-nosed wenches...dumb, but easy...

Wait...hrmmmm....oh! screw it!

valkyrie

sapere aude

Originally posted by astcell
                  I'll use this on my resume, che. This is me in the bottom right corner!

Did I mention my pool2girl business cards?

Comment

yes you can

Originally posted by Demon Furor
                    Hello, was just wondering if anyone here has been able to use sit-ins at Defcon seminars as credit to get certifications renewed, like the CISSP...
                    1. You can use attendance at Defcon towards CISSP credits. I know because I did it last year and there were no problems.
                    2. Attendance at Defcon is not by itself an ethical violation or reason to get you bounced from CISSP-hood unless you do something else that is stupid.
                    3. With reference to #2 above, if you do something truely stupid at Defcon, I'm sure one of the scads of feds, intel spooks, cops, Treasury agents, Secret Service agents etc etc at the con will gladly show you the errors of your ways;-) That would be a bigger problem than being at odds with ISC2.

Comment

This is great to know :).

Now how to explain to my employer why the company paying for my trip to a hacker conference is necessary, any ideas?

Comment

Now how to explain to my employer why the company paying for my trip to a hacker conference is necessary, any ideas?
                        Pull out technical descriptions of previous presentations and find several that will help your employer to be more effective, or efficient if you were educated about them. Compare and contrast the cost of presentations offered at BlackHat to the cost of those offered at DefCon. Sell your employer on BlackHat, and then check to make sure payment for blackhat still gets you into DefCon. Explain that attending both will allow you to ask questions in presentations of BlackHat that ran the same times as the ones you attended.

Suggestions are same as any sale... find what motivates the person, and advertise to them directly by feeding these motivations.

Comment

Perhaps you could use it to get recertified in moonshine drinking...
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                            Pull out technical descriptions of previous presentations and find several that will help your employer to be more effective, or efficient if you were educated about them. Compare and contrast the cost of presentations offered at BlackHat to the cost of those offered at DefCon. Sell your employer on BlackHat, and then check to make sure payment for blackhat still gets you into DefCon. Explain that attending both will allow you to ask questions in presentations of BlackHat that ran the same times as the ones you attended.

Suggestions are same as any sale... find what motivates the person, and advertise to them directly by feeding these motivations.
                            It's true, it's just a big sales pitch, if you're serious about going, but not sure about your boss jumping at the idea, spend a week paying closer attention to your boss and his interests, you'll find keywords and points to use to help you out in your 'pitch'. If he drives a beamer, use that. "You know, attending blackhat in comparison to just using some sort of book study is like comparing a bmw to a metro, one costs a bit more than the other, but the performance and what you get for your buck is unrivaled," etc. He'll think, 'wait. I own a BMW.. and im a pretty cool guy...perhaps I should send him..' heh. you get the idea, just listen for his selling points and run with it.

btw, this is in no way a plug or supporting endorsement for BMW. :D
                            .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

This is great to know :).

Become valuable enough to your company that you can tell them that you're going to a convention in vegas, when you're leaving, when you'll be back, and how much it's going to cost them.

I have personally never used defcon for CPE's, but I can't see that it would be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X