The Pre-planning Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pre-planning Planning Thread

So who's taking flagship position and going to steerhead the toxic BBQ effort this year? Kelvin? Londo?

Oh and this is a cotman free zone.. No Cotman posts allowed.

Originally posted by highwizard
    So who's taking flagship position and going to steerhead the toxic BBQ effort this year? Kelvin? Londo?
    Oh and this is a cotman free zone.. No Cotman posts allowed.
    I'll be there; not grilling, but I'll bring a case of beer. Was there any preference on brands last year?

Al

Defcon: Where all of the Gay hackers wear red t-shirts.
    Like the Star Trek security guards?
    "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

I can lend my support and whatever help I can be from the frozen north. I would take the lead but not being on the ground locally makes that a PITA
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I have not done much with regards to the ToxicBBQ because I am about 8.5% capable of pulling off getting to Defcon this year. I have taken appropriate measures to not leave people hanging.

.. but.. y'all have to do the BBQ again this year. What has to be done?

1) Remember back to last year.

2) Read through the thread created this year with suggestions on making it better.

3) All parties interested in running it, step up and start making plans, work with the other hackers to mold those plans.. and mainly.. do it, dammit.

4) Make it cooler.

I was labelled as the spearhead for the bbq last year, for which I still do not understand why. I was not the person that created the intellectual property of the BBQ. It started in a thread after DC11, as a possible contest iirc, that developed into a cool thing that no one was going to make happen.

I started chatting with folks about pulling it off and fabricated a central website with information about it. Londo and Siviak were the contacts in the city. They set up the park area, the food run spot, and the logistics between. Kelvin came up with logitical ideas, produced a bunch of flyers, etc. HighWiz came up with the cool idea of having event tshirts, he scouted the idea out, got it done, and boom.. we all had a really cool keepsake for the event (that I still wear casually to this day). .. not trying to leave people out.. y'all know who you are... but the BBQ was pulled off by everyone that got involved. You don't need a central figure of authority to make something rock.. come now, you're all hackers.

We all brought our own food and drinks. Several brought additional grills to accompany the existing ones. Everyone cooked. Everyone pitched in and sent food back to the hard working goons that were bending over backwards to make sure the con happened without fail. We all had a great time. We took care of each other, just like the defcon family does during the con.

So how now black cow? /me shrugs... hop into #toxicbbq on efnet? start an email thread to those interested in helping?

I created a new logo a while back.. the original .xcf is available again this year. If people don't like the logo, just come up with something cool that everyone likes and run with that. I have registered toxicbbq.com and can provide a central point of information if desired.

Kudos..
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
          I have not done much with regards to the ToxicBBQ because I am about 8.5% capable of pulling off getting to Defcon this year. I have taken appropriate measures to not leave people hanging.

<snip>

I created a new logo a while back.. the original .xcf is available again this year. If people don't like the logo, just come up with something cool that everyone likes and run with that. I have registered toxicbbq.com and can provide a central point of information if desired.

Kudos..

I'll be putting in an order for the BBQ shirts sometime this week or earlier next once I fully tweak the artwork.

I'm going for the same number as last year since I had about 7 shirts left over, and I just about broke even (post-con). I did learn something about sizing from last year. Originally I thought of XL or XXL but after attending the BBQ I am looking more towards L, and XL, unless someone out there tells me specifcally they need an XXL or a Medium/Small before I go place the order - but remember, just because you tell me you need a certain size won't garuntee you get that size, it's first come first serve.

As I said, I had more then were bought last year. So if you didn't get one last year, but think you may want one this year, tell me before I order them.
          Last edited by highwizard; May 16, 2005, 12:18.

Comment

Count me in..

Said it before, and will say it again.. count me in for whatever needs to be done. I messaged Kelvin and L0nd0 the other day about it, no response so far (damn them for having a life!!) I will be in the night before, so I will have that night and all day to help get things together.

The nice thing about a cookout is when things get hopping, folks tend to know what to do. Everyone seemed to have plenty to eat (and even had plenty to take back to fellow goons) and plenty to drink. Everyone shared, and I never heard anyone bitch about someone drinking their beer or eating their cow.. all went great there.

I think our main issue was logistics.. getting folks there was a hurdle, and getting someone sober to drive back was even more so. It is my understanding that a couple of folks may rent SUV's.. anyone want to run a taxi? We should also decide a time to leave the AP for the folks that need a ride. Flyers with maps, driving instructions, and maybe even GPS coordinates would be a good thing.

The next issue was the food/beer run... I am a firm believer in bring your own and bring a little bit more. Some people will show up with nothing for one reason or another.. either no cash, no way to get food, etc. Unless they are being an ungrateful mooch, sharing is a good thing. I'm sure bringing extra back to the AP for the goons that can't make it would be much appreciated. I have a Sam's card, and will be happy to pick up anything anyone needs there (providing they give me cash up front). I figure a good batch of us will make a food run that day or maybe an hour or so beforehand.

With a couple folks bringing grills and the grills at the park, I don't think we will have an issue with grillspace. We did have an issue with coolers, however. While my quick hack of using the trash cans as coolers, we were fortunate that new, clean trash bags were just put in. This year we may not get so lucky... some large coolers and ice will be a good thing.

Other than that... any other ideas on what we need to cover?
            What do we need to do to get DT to list this as an unofficial event like the DC shoot, etc?
            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Ok looks like we have things locked in for the BBQ, The website is being constructed right now with all of the maps times and whatever else is relevant to the event. I don’t know who wants to spearhead the event but I don’t mind doing it but highwiz, siviak, and I have all of the current info on what’s going on with the BBQ. I think it will pretty much be like last year at the same place as before. All and any help is greatly appreciated.

More to come as soon as I can get the info over to Converge.
              Last edited by L0nd0; May 16, 2005, 21:04.
              There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'll be there this year to commit to my Beer Batterd Burgers
                "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Hey guys, I didn't make it to last years, but I had a couple quick questions (considering bringing some serious KC Que).

How long does this go? Would there be enough time (minimum 6 -7 hours) to smoke some brisket or butts? Is anyone bringing a smoker?

Thanks,
                  Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
                    Hey guys, I didn't make it to last years, but I had a couple quick questions (considering bringing some serious KC Que).

How long does this go? Would there be enough time (minimum 6 -7 hours) to smoke some brisket or butts? Is anyone bringing a smoker?

Thanks,
                    Kai
                    If I recall.. the food run started around 15:00, and the cookout started about an hour later. I had to leave early for goon duty, but I am pretty sure it want on way past sundown...
                    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai

Thanks,
                      Kai

last year we went from about 3PMish to right around sundown... if you need to make special arrangements for what you are cooking just say the word and I am sure we can find some was to hook you up with a cooking area in exchange for some good que...
                      If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                        last year we went from about 3PMish to right around sundown... if you need to make special arrangements for what you are cooking just say the word and I am sure we can find some was to hook you up with a cooking area in exchange for some good que...
                        Very cool, is this Wednesday or Thursday?

I need to check my plans, but I wouldn't mind putting together a heap of smoke.

Then again, it may just be easier to make a barrel of burnt ends and cart that out. Heat 'n Eat.

Comment

just tossing this out there... last year we went to the park because the Alexis Park was being stupid about cooking, right? like, they said they would have to do all the food prep and we couldn't operate grills ourselves. well, is there any chance that this has changed since the hotel is under new ownership/management? personally, i like the park and thought it was a great scene... but logistics could be easier if we're allowed to grill right at the hotel. (or an adjacent vacant lot) any thoughts on this? would this make it easier for the organizers at all?
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                            just tossing this out there... last year we went to the park because the Alexis Park was being stupid about cooking, right? like, they said they would have to do all the food prep and we couldn't operate grills ourselves. well, is there any chance that this has changed since the hotel is under new ownership/management? personally, i like the park and thought it was a great scene... but logistics could be easier if we're allowed to grill right at the hotel. (or an adjacent vacant lot) any thoughts on this? would this make it easier for the organizers at all?

It's at the park again.

Comment

It's at the park again.
                              fine by me... i loved the park.
                              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X