Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Room booking is open

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by erehwon
    Funny, I can go to Vegas.com right now, reserve and prepay my room at the Rivera, mind you not at the Defcon rate.
    And folks who did that for the AP last year or the year before found themselves comped to other rooms in other hotels.

    Comment


    • #17
      So what is the rate?

      I know the point is moot for me, since I have already booked my room. I could not find anything about a Defcon rate at the Riviera site but I got a good deal (I think) from Expedia. I am paying less than $100 a night Canadian which is cheaper than I have ever stayed in Vegas before.

      So if you guys can 't beat that, book through Expedia.ca (this is not an advertisement). It may be a way around the system.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mrpinkwhistle
        I know the point is moot for me, since I have already booked my room. I could not find anything about a Defcon rate at the Riviera site but I got a good deal (I think) from Expedia. I am paying less than $100 a night Canadian which is cheaper than I have ever stayed in Vegas before.

        So if you guys can 't beat that, book through Expedia.ca (this is not an advertisement). It may be a way around the system.
        The rate was listed in the FAQ but seems to have been relocated or removed.

        When I phoned them, the rates were:
        These are the rooms that are available:
        Standard Room-1 King Bed
        Standard Room-2 Double Beds
        Superior Room-1 King Bed
        Superior Room-2 Double Beds
        Deluxe Room-1 King Bed
        Deluxe Room-2 Double Beds

        When you say you are attending with DefCon, it seems you get a flat rate for rooms depending on number of occupants:
        $92 1 or 2 people (All taxes included as of today: $100.28)
        $112 3 or 4 people (All taxes included as of today $122.08)

        When you say you are with DefCon, they will give "Deluxe Rooms" first
        * "Deluxe" room is determined at the time you arrive at the front desk to claim your room reservation (not at time of reservation.)
        ** All dollar amounts are in USD.

        Comment


        • #19
          Riveria Hotel Registration page -- Finally

          Please use this registration page to reserve a room at the Riv:
          https://safe.rivierahotel.com/cgi-bi...60):;DEFCOIB;?

          Thanks guys!
          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by astcell
            And folks who did that for the AP last year or the year before found themselves comped to other rooms in other hotels.
            That was because the entire hotel was reserved to us. This time, that is not the case.
            the fresh princess of 1338

            What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

            Comment


            • #21
              They asked if I had any special requests as far as the room when I registered by phone. I just looked at the online reservation form, and it asks the same thing.

              Wondering what they are giving the opportunity to ask for. I've asked for rooms with a view of particular things before at other hotels.

              Comment


              • #22
                For those who can't afford the Riv, or for some other reason may not want to be at the Riv, there is a 3 story older hotel across the street.

                Somerset House Motel
                294 Convention Center Dr, Las Vegas, NV
                735-4411

                $60/night, mini kitchen with a two burner stove and some provided kitchenware (no cooking pots), key entry security doors and rooms.

                Kinda ghetto, but not cockroach-on-the-pillow, bullet-hole-in-the-wall ghetto.
                "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

                Comment


                • #23
                  WOW! That is a great price find eris.

                  Now all I need are cheap round trip travel expenses for WV and I'm there.
                  "I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art." -Kahlil Gibran

                  "Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them." -Walter Kerr

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I hope I don't get bitch slaped for this. :)

                    I am going to bring about 6 people what are techy. Also bringing about 10 no more then 20 people what are going to just hang out, not going to the talks or anything.

                    I am only 20 and haven't travled with-out family before. (I know weak)
                    I only want to get 2 rooms max 3 rooms for all of us. Tell the hotel that there is only 4 people per room. so max of 12 people for all the rooms. I am going to be way over that.
                    What will the hotel do if they find out people are just crashing there?
                    Will we all get kicked out of the rooms?
                    Is there any way for them to know?

                    Any thoughts,

                    Thanks,
                    The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments.
                    They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by INIT_6
                      I hope I don't get bitch slaped for this. :)

                      I am going to bring about 6 people what are techy. Also bringing about 10 no more then 20 people what are going to just hang out, not going to the talks or anything.

                      I am only 20 and haven't travled with-out family before. (I know weak)
                      I only want to get 2 rooms max 3 rooms for all of us. Tell the hotel that there is only 4 people per room. so max of 12 people for all the rooms. I am going to be way over that.
                      What will the hotel do if they find out people are just crashing there?
                      Will we all get kicked out of the rooms?
                      Is there any way for them to know?

                      Any thoughts,

                      Thanks,
                      This is our first year at this hotel, but based on other defcon hotels, there have been few problems with exceeding the max occupancy in rooms. I have seen rooms with over 8 people, even though the hotel stated a max of 4. Some people have claimed to see rooms with over 15 people.
                      Assuming this max is imposed by the hotel, but not as a fire-marshal thing, you will probably be able to get more than 4 people in a room at the new hotel too.

                      However, there are issues with this:
                      1) Unless you find some SE skills, they will probably only give you 4 keys.
                      2) If there are complaints made about your room, they may send security to your room, and if they find more than 4 people staying in your room, you may have a problem. SE can work here too: "We are having a party here, and these extra people are guests."
                      (When you are breaking rules, you don't want to draw people's attention to you.)

                      4 keys can limit room access as not everyone will get necessarily get a key. This means sharing and having trusted available points of contact to getting the keys to get access to the room.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Thanks for the info.
                        I have some SE skills. I am sure I can pull off the get more keys talk.
                        I know this year for defcon it's not going to be just defcon people staying at the hotel. You think the chances of having defcon people in the rooms around us are High? And I am sure anyone going to defcon sleeping are not sleeping but passed out and a little noise shouldn't effect them. :)
                        The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments.
                        They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by INIT_6
                          You think the chances of having defcon people in the rooms around us are High?
                          Considering that for nearly any room, there are at least 2 rooms on either side (except rooms that border on utility closets, linen closets, elevator, etc.) and in addition to the horizontal borders, there are also vertical borders for rooms immediately above and below, and possibly diagonal, there are from 4 to 8 bordering neighbors to each room. That is 4 to 8 opportunites for an angry, complaining neighbor.

                          (Of course, vertical boundaries tend to have more insulation against sound.)

                          Our convention is supposed to be scheduled in the same hotel as another convention in the same hotel. (American Darter's Association 2006 National Championship XV.) This is not a bad thing, and with all of the drinking I've seen dart players do in bars, and the drinking I've seen at Defcon, it may be difficult to tell the difference between convention attendees. :-)

                          If the ADA are mostly a roudy bunch, then the chances of being next door to someone who complains will probably drop a bit, but there are no guarantees they are into sleep deprivation like many DC people.

                          On the other hand, the hotel may pre-assign rooms in blocks to Defcon to mostly cover certain floors. Priority for Defcon registration (while supplies last, assigned at checkin) is a "Deluxe Room" which means most will probably be in the same tower/building.

                          This is the first year at this hotel, and the best you can ask for is an educated guess.
                          As a guess, I'd say that there is probably a 60/40 chance that you will have a room with only DefCon people in all rooms (horizontal, vertical and diagonal) that border your room, but there are Defcon people will complain about noise too. If they do, spot them as a Fed. ;-)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by TheCotMan
                            Our convention is supposed to be scheduled in the same hotel as another convention in the same hotel. (American Darter's Association 2006 National Championship XV.) This is not a bad thing, and with all of the drinking I've seen dart players do in bars, and the drinking I've seen at Defcon, it may be difficult to tell the difference between convention attendees. :-)

                            There is also a college fraternity convention at the same hotel the same time as Defcon this year

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Tacitus
                              There is also a college fraternity convention at the same hotel the same time as Defcon this year
                              which frat is it? it wouldn't hurt to make up some sweatshirts with their greek letters in case security problems arise. (can either work as a "go ahead and arrest those rowdy people over there... i'm not with them" excuse or as a "yeap, you sure can't take us frat boys anywhere... but be certain to invite the defcon folks back next year, as i'm sure that they'd never have set a couch in the lobby on fire like i just did" sort of a deal.)
                              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                              - Trent Reznor

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this question has been answered already:

                                Since the Riviera is a big hotel, is it going to be as hard to get rooms close to the con date as it was at the Alexis Park? Or can I expect the hotel to give me a room the day of the con (under the Defcon name with whatever that entails, if that is still being done)?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X