Room booking is open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tacitus
    There is also a college fraternity convention at the same hotel the same time as Defcon this year
    Well at the AP we broke the drinking record for the RAF, now we get to challenge a new record here, and who better to cavort with than a fraternity!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
      which frat is it?

http://www.akpsi.com/events/convention_faq.cfm

Looks like their convention rate is $3 less than ours.

Comment

Unfortunately I have to question the status of this fraternity as being the true frat-tastic group of individuals who could challenge the debachury of the con. In another life I was a business student (and member of a true fraternity) and was recruited by this organization. Looking to build my resume, I went to a couple of thier events and was less than impressed. It was mostly a group of finance geeks bringing in some speakers to talk about the exciting world of accelerated depreciation methods.

The decision to flee came when I was told I had to take weekly tests on the history of the pseudo-frat. I'd played that game before and there was much more beer involved.

Look for a lot of dark suits, white shirts, and red ties from this crowd.
        jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by xwred1
          I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this question has been answered already:

Since the Riviera is a big hotel, is it going to be as hard to get rooms close to the con date as it was at the Alexis Park? Or can I expect the hotel to give me a room the day of the con (under the Defcon name with whatever that entails, if that is still being done)?
          I am also wondering about this... I've looked a little through this thread, and couldn't think of a solid search expression so... please don't freak if someone already stated it earlier on this thread.
          Plans are still up in the air, and funds are currently tight...

On the subject of more than 4 keys, because I've gone with often more than 4 people to defcon, this issue came up.. One year we got an extra key by stating we lost our key, and <insert plausable but needy situation here> needed another key right now. Be extra nice, and apoligize for being an inconvience... or.. just use some other good SE skills. (its suprizingly effective, minimal risk (in this case) and quite easy).(Getting more than one key for the "i lost it" excuse might not work, because (hopefully) they'll record the fact he/she gave you a replacement key... if you don't see her record it, then.. well i shouldn't have to explain.)
          The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
            One year we got an extra key by stating we lost our key
            while i don't dispute that you may have gotten this to work in the past, in my experience this isn't a reliable option since hotels, upon being told that a key (one key out of a set that was issued) was lost, will tend to cancel out that entire set of keys in their system. they invalidate the code from all of the original keys and issue you a new set.

unless you have a card reader/writer (and one that works with the custom track sizes and data bit spacing of your specific hotel) that you can use to copy the new key's data onto old ones you're often SOL.
            Last edited by Deviant Ollam; April 10, 2006, 08:09.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
              One year we got an extra key by stating we lost our key<snip>
              Too much work. I have always gotten extra keys after check-in merely by asking for them. Every time I worry they are going to tack on extra-person charges but, to date, it has never happened.

Always remember: unless you get the manager, the customer service representative you are speaking to doesn't care about you or what you are up to.

Comment

I wonder if the new hotel will have DC keys?

Comment

Another really good method if you are a guy is to....
                  Walk up to another guy at the front desk. Tell him you just meet some of the hottest chicks in the world. You just had to give out your key to them so they can stop by later. (tell him now) Now the problem is my other 3 friends are to far a way can you make me another key for my room?

If it's a cool guy, He will get you a new key.
                  (If he gets you the key, the try to ask for just a little bit more Only if he was cool at the first)
                  then you can even ask for more keys at this point saying hey, is there anyway I can get a couple extra in case I find some more hot chicks?

This will only work if you are a good looking guy, If you are some 200lb Nerd they guy will laugh at you.

Not sure if this would work, But I am thinking it's very well possible.

I know with SE Please and thank you go a long way. Make the person feel good.

I have one of those card readers now, Let's just say I don't pay for parking anymore :)
                  The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments.
                  They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by INIT_6
                    You just had to give out your key to them so they can stop by later. (tell him now) Now the problem is my other 3 friends are to far a way can you make me another key for my room?
                    not trying to knock the suggestion, as it is inventive and plausible for a hotel (especially one in vegas) but something tells me that this is exactly the kind of story that would raise eyebrows... at least for staffers at a higher-end hotel on the strip. as far as i know, some hotels (the better ones) in the industry have actually updated their lock/key software systems so that ANY issuance of a new key creates a new token and invalidates all the previous ones in the system. (precisely because the desk jockeys can get scammed by social engineers)

Originally posted by INIT_6
                    I have one of those card readers now, Let's just say I don't pay for parking anymore
                    sounds interesting. what make and model is the reader/writer?
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                      some hotels (the better ones) in the industry have actually updated their lock/key software systems so that ANY issuance of a new key creates a new token and invalidates all the previous ones in the system.
                      In the vein of my earlier statements...

That sounds as if they are attempting to prevent unauthorized access to the rooms rather than additional (valid) authorizations. I don't believe the hotels care nearly as much about their extra $20 a night as people tend to think.

As for aspiring social engineers, think of your situation. Would you normally provide a complicated back story when attempting to gain access to an authorized resource? Your answer should be no. You approach with confidence (after all, you aren't doing anything wrong) and respond to challenges as they come. So why act differently when attempting to gain access to an unauthorized resource?

Comment

Working...
                      X