New theme for the B/W Balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New theme for the B/W Balls?

Granted, I am not in charge of the B/W Balls in any way, shape or form...

But I was kind of wondering....
    what if we changed the themes to different colors or maybe even different cultures? Like a Red ball or a silver one....or a Japanese one so i could get away with wearing my Kimono? Pirate vs Ninja ball?

But anyway, you get the drift.

DT? Anyone? Ideas for more fun we could be causing?
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

Re: New theme for the B/W Balls?

But what would the contrast be. With Black/White you have bad guys/good guys (I'll leave it up to you to determine which you think are bad and good).
    DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna
      But what would the contrast be. With Black/White you have bad guys/good guys.
      Cmon, Pirates v Ninjas! How much more of a contrast can there be? heheh

I have to agree with Jackalope on this though, it would be nice to see something with a bit more flavor. The B&W as of the last few cons has been lacking somewhat. I think throwing a new theme to it would give it a decent kick.
      Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post
        Cmon, Pirates v Ninjas! How much more of a contrast can there be? heheh

I have to agree with Jackalope on this though, it would be nice to see something with a bit more flavor. The B&W as of the last few cons has been lacking somewhat. I think throwing a new theme to it would give it a decent kick.
        good point. I an't wait to hear what someone comes up with for "Ninja music."

Personally, I have not attended the B&W because the volume is louder than I find comfortable.
        DaKahuna

Comment

Well, I will see what ZZiks will let me do / help / suggest on this realm. People have said that I throw the best parties in northern Colorado and IMHO, I agree...I would like to bring it to everyone at DC16, too.
          DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
            good point. I an't wait to hear what someone comes up with for "Ninja music."
            You do know that if it was "ninja music" we probably would never hear it, right?
            DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

I like the idea of a different theme this year. It will be held in the same spot as last year, it worked out very well, and then during the day it will be a chill out lounge and place for people to sit.

Not sure what the two themes will be, but I'm guessing DJ Jackalope is into her Japanese School Girl outfit because of her rocking social engineering at Katsucon a couple weeks ago!
              PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
                You do know that if it was "ninja music" we probably would never hear it, right?
                Exactly what I was thinking .

Anyway, Maybe this year I'll come inside instead of just standing outside the door.
                DaKahuna

Comment

I've hit the white balls the past 2 years and I have to say the attendance seemed pretty low last year. I heard something similar about the black ball as well. Is there anyway to combine them again and up the overall attendance? I'm sure splitting them gives some flexibility for more DJ's, etc. but it seems like you'd have less competition with the parties and perhaps have a better event if more folks were there. Just a suggestion.

Comment

The ideal, of course, is to throw the Ball(s) in the Contest area iirc... that way the skyboxen can overlook the Ball and still have their parties.
                    DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                      I like the idea of a different theme this year. It will be held in the same spot as last year, it worked out very well, and then during the day it will be a chill out lounge and place for people to sit.

Not sure what the two themes will be, but I'm guessing DJ Jackalope is into her Japanese School Girl outfit because of her rocking social engineering at Katsucon a couple weeks ago!
                      Hmmmm I don't actually HAVE a schoolgirl outfit yet...
                      I would be down to spin some loungy jazzy drum and bass.
                      DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

The ideal, of course, is to throw the Ball(s) in the Contest area iirc... that way the skyboxen can overlook the Ball and still have their parties.
                        i've been in love with this idea since the moment that we got the new space. people will complain and say it involves too much headache in terms of locking stuff up, etc, but i disagree.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                          i've been in love with this idea since the moment that we got the new space. people will complain and say it involves too much headache in terms of locking stuff up, etc, but i disagree.
                          If the vendor area could be made a little larger for foot traffic, but keep the space used by vendor the same size, then the new foot traffic space could serve double duty at night by allowing all contest-specific equipment be moved into the vendor area at night, and then allow security to focus on the vendor room at night. (All eggs in one basket, and guard that basket very well.)

Of all the contests, the one with the greatest complication for setup/tear-down would probably be the aCTF. The running of cables (power and networking) as well as the lugging of all their servers would probably mean 2 to 4 hours of setup and tear down every day, not counting the first day of setup which might take a day or more depending on how many people were working on it. If the cables could be left in-place at night, and the systems placed on pallets, and a pallet jack was handy (and permitted on carpet) the setup and tear-down could be minimized.

Second would be the LPCon tables, with their heavy contest items.

Many of the other contests could probably leave many items on tables, and move the tables into and out of the vendor room.

This would all need to be worked out now, so all contest leaders/organizers could find problems with this, and list resources that would make is possible to do this in a convenient fashion. (Like pallets, a pallet jack, permission to use it over carpet, and more which has not been considered.)

Now that I have pooped these ideas, and suggested more work for volunteers, I'll go hide.

Comment

A ball idea:
                            instead of a color... a theme could be "self powered glowy things". Like everyone has to have a glow stick or a LED on them of some kind and have the party in near blackness.
                            DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

A ball idea:
                              instead of a color... a theme could be "self powered glowy things". Like everyone has to have a glow stick or a LED on them of some kind and have the party in near blackness.
                              I know I'm a little old for this sort of thing, but isn't that normally called a Rave?
                              A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Working...
                              X