Titanium Chef Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium Chef Challenge

so, i'll be running the Titanium Chef Challenge again at the ToxicBBQ this year. we had three teams compete last time around and it kicked absolute ass. what's happening this summer? well, it's going to be same song, second verse...

teams will likely consist of one to three people. while one person may find him- or herself shorthanded, anything more than a three person team would just be pandemonium and cause a ruckus.

at 15:00 on thursday, the theme ingredient will be revealed in a small ceremony in front of the DefCon reg. area. teams will rally there, learn what they're tasked with cooking, get a supply of meat, and blast off.

teams will have about an hour (maybe an hour and a half) to come up with a plan, get together a list of ingredients, and make a run to necessary stores. people will meet at the TBBQ area in Sunset Park at 16:00 and start their cooking. you will be allowed to have team members arrive early to the BBQ space and perform preliminary setup and pre-heating, but no food may be brought into contact with flame, oil, etc. until all team members are present and accounted for. (there will be no "you run to the store to get spices, you run to the 7-11 to get ice, and i'll go start the steaks on the grill" sort of plans)

there will be one hour for cooking and preparation of your dishes. all chef work will cease promptly at 17:00 since the main BBQ event will be starting and TBBQ staff will need the grills.

teams will be in charge of creating four separate finished products: two distinct primary dishes featuring the theme ingredient, one side dish that compliments the meal, and one beverage. two notes...
    1. the side dish may incorporate the theme ingredient but certainly doesn't have to. the side dish shouldn't take too much of your team's time and resources. almost anything you care to toss together would be perfectly legal and satisfy the requirement... store-bought cold potato salad or sliced veggies and ranch dip would be fine. hell, a bag of chips would be legal even if they aren't likely to garner many originality points. naturally if your main dishes are steak and fajitas, something like sautéed mushrooms or baked potatoes would be a better side dish than fish balls or escarole soup.

2. the beverage need not be alcoholic in nature but it will most certainly generate judges' approval if it is. it may be a store-bought item that goes well with the meal (a fine beer or properly-chosen wine perhaps) or a custom cocktail that you mix up right there.

finished products will take on two forms... one single "presentation" creation (food plated in the most creative and attractive manner, cocktail iced down and in a nice glass, side dish portioned well, etc.) and the rest will be made available simply in picnic style (large trays or pans are fine. beverage can be in either in factory bottles or in a pitcher)

a panel of judges will observe your presentation platter and sample your picnic offerings. after they've made their initial pass they will step back to write notes and fill out score cards. contestants' food will be judged on presentation, originality, and taste. all remaining food (and it would be nice if there is enough to really go around) will be made available to onlookers who wish to also try some.

scores will be added up and ranks given. in the event of any tie scores, audience applause may be employed... so do whatever you can to keep the crowd happy (plate on creative or hacker-themed settings, make an extra pitcher or two of your beverage, etc etc) since they may turn the tide.

this almost goes without saying, but folks should plan on the theme ingredient being something highly non-friendly to vegetarians. if you're thinking of asking to be a judge, keep that in mind. if you're some uber-militant vegan who can't even handle or assist in the cooking of meat products, it'd be best if you don't participate on one of the teams. (of course if you're that extreme what are you doing at the ToxicBBQ in the first place?) also it should be noted that there is a high likelihood of alcohol being part of the teams' final products, so under-21 folk may not be able to be official judges. of course crowd judges can sample whatever they wish and avoid anything that violates the law or their personal convictions.

more to come as things develop... but that's the story thus far. i now eagerly await your input and any potential expressions of interest and participation.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Titanium Chef Challenge

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    this almost goes without saying, but folks should plan on the theme ingredient being something highly non-friendly to vegetarians. if you're thinking of asking to be a judge, keep that in mind. if you're some uber-militant vegan who can't even handle or assist in the cooking of meat products, it'd be best if you don't participate on one of the teams. (of course if you're that extreme what are you doing at the ToxicBBQ in the first place?) also it should be noted that there is a high likelihood of alcohol being part of the teams' final products, so under-21 folk may not be able to be official judges. of course crowd judges can sample whatever they wish and avoid anything that violates the law or their personal convictions.
    Just an aside Dev, but have you ever seen The Freshman? Central to the plot is a theme of "unusual meat dishes".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099615/
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
      Just an aside Dev, but have you ever seen The Freshman?
      Wow, i had nearly forgotten that film. I saw it when i was much younger and it had just come out. Heh... i remember them allegedly serving some type of endangered Gila Monster or something. Maybe i'll have to torrent that one up in a little while.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Komono Dragon was what everyone though was going to be the main course.
        DaKahuna

Comment

Well I am throwing my chefs hat in the ring.
          AcidicA and the UAT pirates are already in discussion. Teams made, chemicals messured...now if I could just get ahold of some liquid nitrogen while I was in vegas....
          AcidicA, another orange shirted goon.
          myspace.com/acidicasound

You throw like girls. I know, I helped run the dunk tank ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AcidicA View Post
            Well I am throwing my chefs hat in the ring.
            AcidicA and the UAT pirates are already in discussion. Teams made, chemicals messured...now if I could just get ahold of some liquid nitrogen while I was in vegas....
            This is going to be fun ... :D

I am so looking forward to this.

Comment

Outstanding, man. I can't wait to see you guys there. I have to poke some of last year's participants to see who's up for things again. I know that team Smoke's leader, vansmaq, said they'd return to defend their crown. I wonder if the Sudoers or the Schemers will be present, as well.

More news to come when i have it.
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Did the last year teams ever claim those new "previously owned" laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by meee View Post
                  Did the last year teams ever claim those new "previously owned" laptops?
                  I'm not certain if VanSmaq and his crew took them or if someone else did... i just sort of made them available on the corner of the stage and let them walk.
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Man this is getting more exciting every day. I been doing so much research already for a talk on food hacking I submitted. I keep finding recipies and saying to myself Oh man please let (insert meat haha) be the mystery ingred. I know 0x58 is really excited too, we talk about it atleast 3 times a week and are about to start practicing techniques together. Hope we get some strong competaters. I want to see what a bunch of computer geeks can do with fire, oil, and flesh.
                    myspace.com/acidicasound

Comment

Could we get kangaroo as the mystery ingredient. I really liked it while I was in Australia a few years ago, would love to eat it again sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by AcidicA View Post
                        now if I could just get ahold of some liquid nitrogen while I was in vegas....
                        I know where you can buy some (Air Liquide or Airgas), but it might not be that easy to get unless you know people.
                        "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Sadly I dont have alot of experiance with Teppan Nitro cooking. And really its often more for show then anythign else. It could be fun to bust out and quick freeze some alcohol to make the judges overy sympathetic to my teams dishes but I think I will just use skill and a heavy dose of sodium alginate.
                          myspace.com/acidicasound

Comment

Reporting in Gentlemen...

Team SMOKE and I will again be participating in this years Titanium Chef competition. I suppose we have to defend our title :)

We are planning on bringing some other cooking equipment this year and whipping up alot more food outside of the competition. Right now we have already made plans to haul one of my box smokers up the LV and smoke up some ribs, yard bird and at Deviants request, some Pork Wings. Yes, Pork Wings.

We are planning on bringing about 15 - 20 racks of ribs and 10 or so chickens. So there will be plenty of food to share. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by VanSmaq View Post
                              We are planning on bringing some other cooking equipment this year and whipping up alot more food outside of the competition. Right now we have already made plans to haul one of my box smokers up the LV and smoke up some ribs, yard bird and at Deviants request, some Pork Wings. Yes, Pork Wings.
                              omfg, you are so the man. are you trying to bribe the judges with such awesomeness?

Originally posted by VanSmaq View Post
                              Any other suggestions?
                              i would suggest that you please instruct us as to the proper manner in which you like your balls cupped or massaged while getting your shaft serviced, because i want you receiving proper and perfect treatment in reflection of how kickass you and your people are.

we eagerly await your return and all your extra goodness. it's that sort of generosity that makes bystanders and audience members so happy and brings the event to a whole new level. if there were a "general good vibe" award you'd have a lock on that at the moment. heh, maybe we should create that.
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X