Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ham radio exam session?

Originally posted by DCFluX View Post
    I'm an Extra, but I do not have my VE credentials, yet.
    Cool. Send in the ARRL VE paperwork, and you should be good to go. Between you, theprez98 and myself, we've got enough people to run the exams. Send me a privmsg with your call, and I'll file the paperwork to get the exam setup.

-Jon

Comment

Sweet, we've got the three people we need to run the tests.

What time should we run the tests? Noon?
      How many exam copies should I request? I was thinking 20 tech, 10 general, and 5 extra.

-Jon

Comment

I will be giving a talk, so pretty much I can't say until it is scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by DCFluX View Post
          I will be giving a talk, so pretty much I can't say until it is scheduled.
          I have (2) CFPs pending (although space is running out fast!) so I may be speaking as well.

Printing out the VE application...it'll probably take me the weekend to get the "open book" quiz filled out. ;)
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Hah, yeah, I think we're all in the same boat as far as giving talks. I'll ping Nikita to see how likely it is that I'll be talking Sunday...

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by JonM View Post

If you have a General or higher license, you can become a volunteer examiner (VE) free of charge by filling out an "open book exam" form:
              Let me know if you think you will need an extra VE and I'll do the paperwork and become a VE.
              DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                Let me know if you think you will need an extra VE and I'll do the paperwork and become a VE.

More VEs can't hurt, so go ahead and send in the paperwork...

-Jon

Comment

I will keep you updated.
                  DaKahuna

Comment

I just passed my technician today! So I am licensed. Really sweet :D.

http://eham.net/exams/

eHam has practice exams up for those of you looking to study. I personally need to study for my general, and I may take it at DefCon if it is going to be offered. Not entirely sure if I need it or not ...

Comment

For VE-wannabes:

www.kparc.org/ARRLVEAccreditation.pdf

From 2006, so a little dated, but will help with the open book review.

Comment

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
                        I just passed my technician today! So I am licensed. Really sweet :D.

http://eham.net/exams/

eHam has practice exams up for those of you looking to study. I personally need to study for my general, and I may take it at DefCon if it is going to be offered. Not entirely sure if I need it or not ...
                        We're working toward offering an exam session at Defcon. It looks like we'll have the personnel, but a quiet location to administer the exams might be more challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                          We're working toward offering an exam session at Defcon. It looks like we'll have the personnel, but a quiet location to administer the exams might be more challenging.
                          If we still have it, there was that one corner room that was too far for network access, but far enough away from the other con venues that it might be quieter than other choices. It was discussed for Defcon 15 as a quiet space. Assuming nothing better is found, where quite space is the primary concern, and 101/102 are both still available for us/you, you might ask about these rooms for your exam, while the review and discussion could be centered in the wireless village.

NOTE: the below is not this year's floor plan, it is from last year, Defcon 15:

(See room 101 and 102, locate middle, left hand side)
                          NOTE: the above is not this year's floor plan, it is from last year, Defcon 15.

Comment

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
                            Not entirely sure if I need it or not ...
                            If you are serious about doing any kind of HF work, yes.

Otherwise your HF privelages will be CW only on 80m, 40m and 15m. As well as Data and USB Voice in the lower section of 10m.

The bigger challenge is upgrading from General to Extra. You get an additional 400 kHz of bandwidth and Extra class VEs can give all of the tests. But some do not think the juice is worth the squeze. Others do it to get it out of the way.

Comment

How long of a test session are you thinking? I'd consider trying for the Tech -> Extra double header if there was enough time. (Or have things changed to not allow upgrading twice in one session?)

Comment

Ok, here's where things stand:
                                • We have four people who can be VEs. This is good, as we need a minimum of three.
                                • Unfortunately, three of us are speakers at the con, and we're waiting to hear for sure when we're speaking.

Tentatively, I'm going to say testing will start at noon on Sunday, and will continue for roughly two hours, potentially longer if there is sufficient interest.
                                For test takers, these are the logisitics:
                                • The cost is $14
                                • For your $14, you can take any or all of the exam elements once
                                • If you fail a test, you can retest by paying an additional $14
                                • You must present a government-issued photo ID
                                • You are encouraged to register with the FCC Universal License Service, and have your Federal Registration Number (FRN) with you. Otherwise, you will be required to provide your SSN
                                • If you are upgrading, you will need an original copy of your license
                                • We will provide writing implements, but you are encouraged to bring your own
                                • You may bring a calculator, but you must be able to demonstrate that it's memory is clear

Yes, presenting this much personal information at a hacker con is somewhat risky, but we'll ensure that your information is safeguarded: the testing will be held behind closed doors, and since you will have our calls, you'll get a reciprocal amount of information about us. :)

-Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X