Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ham radio exam session?

Originally posted by seramai View Post
    What does each level of passed exam get me "john law" wise regarding the HAM tests?

For example, if I pass the first exam, I can then legally war drive, hack wifi, spoof packets, legally jam (raspberry) law enforcment signals?

What higer level in the law do I get with each passed exam?
    Yes, yes, no, no.

Basically, you get the ability to use the amateur radio frequencies. Passing the Technician exam, which is the entry level license, gives you full access to all of the amateur bands above 50 MHz. This gives you the ability to transmit with up to 1500 watts of power, at largely unlimited frequencies.

The higher levels of license give you access to the lower frequency bands, which have far longer range.

There are some restrictions on amateur radio operation, principally being that you must identify yourself, you can't broadcast, and you can't use encryption, or any other secret codes.

So, if you're looking to experiment with radio, amateur radio's good. If you're looking to fuck with people, it's not going to get you anything you aren't already prohibited from doing.

-Jon

Comment

What does each level of passed exam get me "john law" wise regarding the HAM tests?

For example, if I pass the first exam, I can then legally war drive, hack wifi, spoof packets, legally jam (raspberry) law enforcment signals?

What higer level in the law do I get with each passed exam?
      Amateur radio privileges have nothing to do with wardriving (which is already legal without a license) or wifi. I'm pretty sure jamming law enforcement frequencies would be illegal just about everywhere (and beyond that, is just plain stupidand reckless). If you're in the US, here is the amateur radio bandplan. This page will show you privileges by class; here is a nice PDF of the same thing.

As has already been alluded to in previous posts, all of the test questions are drawn from publicly available question banks; therefore passing the test is not too difficult if you practice enough with those questions.
      Originally posted by JonM View Post
      So, if you're looking to experiment with radio, amateur radio's good. If you're looking to fuck with people, it's not going to get you anything you aren't already prohibited from doing.
      And if I could add to that, the FCC does not have much of a sense of humor when people go abusing privileges.
      Last edited by theprez98; July 14, 2008, 04:09.
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by JonM View Post
        Yes, yes, no, no.

Basically, you get the ability to use the amateur radio frequencies. Passing the Technician exam, which is the entry level license, gives you full access to all of the amateur bands above 50 MHz. This gives you the ability to transmit with up to 1500 watts of power, at largely unlimited frequencies.

The higher levels of license give you access to the lower frequency bands, which have far longer range.

There are some restrictions on amateur radio operation, principally being that you must identify yourself, you can't broadcast, and you can't use encryption, or any other secret codes.

-Jon

Not interested in fucking. Want to learn and do without fear.

Comment

Not interested in fucking.
          heh, that would be a first for most people at DEFCON. of course, while 90% of them may be interested in fucking, a far smaller percentage of people actually succeed in getting lucky at con.

still... as a whole our community puts up some mighty respectable numbers. when's the last time that DEFCON sex chart was updated?
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

For example, if I pass the first exam, I can then ... legally jam (raspberry) law enforcment signals?
            The FCC takes a dim view of that. The will gladly assist law enforcement in tracking down someone intentionally jamming licensed law enforcement freqs. Cops take an even dimmer view. The may not have the FCC's equipment, but they have nightsticks.

Not that I'd know anything about that...
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              heh, that would be a first for most people at DEFCON. of course, while 90% of them may be interested in fucking, a far smaller percentage of people actually succeed in getting lucky at con.

still... as a whole our community puts up some mighty respectable numbers. when's the last time that DEFCON sex chart was updated?
              Only luck for me has been at the poker table.

Comment

/Hambands_color.pdf"]here[/URL] is a nice PDF of the same thing.

Any of these Amateur Bands be playing at the Black and White Ball? Ha!

Just kidding......

Comment

Amateur radio privileges have nothing to do with wardriving (which is already legal without a license) or wifi. I'm pretty sure jamming law enforcement frequencies would be illegal just about everywhere (and beyond that, is just plain stupid and reckless).

And if I could add to that, the FCC does not have much of a sense of humor when people go abusing privileges.

I am aware of all that. I'm just running my mouth to get a response which gives me a frame work from which to operate.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you have to be a citizen of the United States to do this? I'm Canadian but I'd be interested in trying it...

Comment

Originally posted by DotNM View Post
                      Just out of curiosity, do you have to be a citizen of the United States to do this? I'm Canadian but I'd be interested in trying it...
                      That is a very good question. I know that the USA and Canada have reciprocal agreements* allowing hams from the two countries to operate as the locals can. Getting an FCC license as a non-citizen (non-resident alien, etc.) might be doable, but I would imagine that you would be better off then going through Industry Canada to get a Canadian license and callsign.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this one?

*http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm

Comment

47 C.F.R. § 97.23

Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name and mailing
                        address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur
                        service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail
                        delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or
                        suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from
                        the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to
                        provide the correct mailing address.
                        http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...47cfr97.23.htm

I couldn't find anything about having to be a citizen of the USA. But unless you have a valid US mailing address, you are still out of luck.

Comment

The US and Canada do have a reciprocal operating agreement. I'm still checking on the testing requirements, although there do seem to be specific provisions for "foreign" examinees.
                          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
                          X