Who is organizing DefconKids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is organizing DefconKids?

Maybe...buying the badge is a liability agreement in and of itself, for adults. Kids can't buy badges so they need the liability waver signed by the adult they are with? (Stabbing in the dark to thought process here)
    "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
      Kids can't buy badges so they need the liability waver signed by the adult they are with? (Stabbing in the dark to thought process here)
      But ONLY if they are at KidCon.

If they go to the hardware hacking village, anyone can put a hot soldering iron in their hand and go "melt some lead little Timmy!". No waiver required :)

Comment

Maybe...buying the badge is a liability agreement in and of itself, for adults. Kids can't buy badges so they need the liability waver signed by the adult they are with? (Stabbing in the dark to thought process here)
        But, the kid needs a DefCon badge to attend KidCon.

Originally posted by DefCon Kids FAQ
        How much does DefCon Kids Cost

DefCon Kids has no additional fee but kids and parents must have a DEFCON badge. These badges can be bought at the conference.
        “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
          But, the kid needs a DefCon badge to attend KidCon.
          Alright.. Let's say it like it really is and stop dancing around. It makes sense for DT to want a Liability waiver when children are involved. Sure, some adult does something stupid/get's hurt it's bad.... But in our "Think of the Children/Very Litigious" Society, if something happens to a kid people view it as being a million times worse. Is it right? No. Is it the reality we live in? Yes.
          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
            Alright.. Let's say it like it really is and stop dancing around. It makes sense for DT to want a Liability waiver when children are involved. Sure, some adult does something stupid/get's hurt it's bad.... But in our "Think of the Children/Very Litigious" Society, if something happens to a kid people view it as being a million times worse. Is it right? No. Is it the reality we live in? Yes.
            Yes, but kids have already been attending DefCon, with badges, bought by parents, without liability wavers. So..why now? Just because it is now an official "kid event" in a special room that they still have to flow through DefCon to get to ? I guess that's the confusion. *shrug*

In the end, as long as the Defcon security goons don't have to deal with the room and, hopefully, there are no screaming kid/angry parent interactions with regular Con attendees, I don't think it much matters what the rest of us think. It's happening, Deal with it. As incidents come up, if they come up, they can be dealt with and hopefully learned from.
            "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Yes, but kids have already been attending DefCon, with badges, bought by parents, without liability wavers. So..why now? Just because it is now an official "kid event" in a special room that they still have to flow through DefCon to get to ? I guess that's the confusion. *shrug*
              I don't believe most people are going to get an answer that satisfies them. Perhaps I'll be incorrect, and the DCK people will say something that puts everyone's questions to rest... But I doubt it.
              And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Working...
              X