DEFCON 20 Shoot will run Wednesday Dusk AND Thursday Dawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DEFCON 20 Shoot will run Wednesday Dusk AND Thursday Dawn

Since there still seems to be discussion on this, let me cite the law for NV (we went over all this in my NV CCW class)

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-2...l#NRS202Sec257

It is unlawful for a person who:
    (a) Has a concentration of alcohol of 0.10 or more in his or her blood or breath; or
    (b) Is under the influence of any controlled substance [...]
    ...to have in his or her actual physical possession any firearm.
    Actual physical possession pretty much means on your person or within your immediate reach. So it is legal to drink and carry, but you must not become drunk.

I think a good policy for our shoot would be that once drinking starts all guns should be out of sight and shouldn't be showed off or handled publicly. If you plan on getting drunk, make sure that you don't go close enough to your guns to constitute physical possession. If you have something concealed then it would be your responsibility to not get drunk, as it always is.

To be honest I think this is the only viable policy we can have, without resorting to pat downs or anything stupidly invasive.

Comment

are we really expecting anyone at this event to be getting totally torn-up and blasted drunk? i'm picturing a few beers with the meal, enough to make sleeping on the sand ok but nothing too wild and rowdy.

after all, anyone camping out there is likely doing so because they plan on being at the Thursday AM portion of the shoot. if you're doing that, why would you opt to possibly wake up hung over in the damn desert?

DEFCON is a full weekend long, i would think that most folk might be able to hold of their alcoholism until the weekend officially starts, at least.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Personally I do not condone ANY alcohol during the shoot. It's freaking hot out there and that's not the time for a brewski. Google "drink alcohol in the heat" if you do not believe me. You truly need your wits about you when you stop to think that a four pound index finger pull is all that is needed to shoot a bullet. It takes about the same pull to pop open a can of Budweiser. Perfectly sober and experienced people have shooting accidents. Now we already increase the risk factor at the shoot by having younger folks, newbies, strangers, new guns one has not shot before, a new range one has not seen, drama such as where to get my eyes and ears and ammo, the curiosity factor, the Kodak moment with the gun posed pointed who knows where,...and so on. The safety guys and DO manage to keep us all free of holes year after year, so we can go back to the hotel happily wearing GSR and a new t-shirt. I cannot see alcohol adding to the pleasure.

//soapbox off//

Comment

Unless I missed something, I don't think anyone here suggested or would approve drinking before or during the shoot.

The question has been: how to transition from a shooting event during the day to a group of folks camping at night who might want a beer with their dead cow after a long, hot day of fun -- when you know that those folks have been shooting all day and are armed.

It is possible for rational good people to transition between NO DRINKS AT ALL safety critical events and having a beer with friends after the event is over. I did that with rally cars; I do it with firetrucks and subguns.

The biggest issue we face is that this event is far less controlled than the other things I mentioned. The other shoots I go to are typically invite only or semi-secret time/place. Any bozo can find out about this one; and many of us attending this don't really know each other.

The other side of it is, how many people will actually camp? Another annual shoot I attend had tons of people talking about camping, just ended up being me, ShortGrrl, and our tent mate braving the "wilderness". That was a nice night.

It's Deviant's event. If the decision is no drinks during the post-shoot eating/camping time, I'm cool with that. If it's just me and the Grrl sleeping on top of the Rover? I will have a beer or two.

I don't have a problem moving from the shoot area to a different site for camping; that could be a good transition point from one event to the next. I also don't need a fire; will cook on coleman stove, and I'm not afraid of the dark. :)
          TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Too toss my hat into the debate. No alcohol anywhere near the line, that's just sane.

As for afterwards, camping, etc. If folks want to carry, I'd be comfortable with that as long as the rule is that it stays holstered and does not come out at all (savage ocelot attack not withstanding). No sow and tell, no picture posing, it stays holstered. Anyone seen with thier side are is immediatly called on it and sent away (or driven depending on alcohol content). Even drunk, I have more faith in this community to police itself than most others.
            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
              The other side of it is, how many people will actually camp? Another annual shoot I attend had tons of people talking about camping, just ended up being me, ShortGrrl, and our tent mate braving the "wilderness". That was a nice night.
              I've suspected this to be the case as well. I don't think they'll be many people actually camping. Sticking around a couple hours after the evening shoot to hang out, that might be a little larger group.

Comment

i'm sure that things will work out just fine. i'm looking forward to the Shoot event and am pleased to see that registrations are are still proceeding, slowly but surely.
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                X