No announcement yet.

I want to post, but what if ...?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• I want to post, but what if ...?

Welcome to the DEF CON forums!

Q: How do you know if your post will be well received, or people will complain?
    A: You don't. Nobody knows!

Part of being a hacker is trying new things. "What if I posted something and... ?" You can spend a lot of time thinking about all the possible events that may result in not feeling welcome, BUT no matter how likely or unlikely any of those outcomes are? There is one certainty if you DON'T post: your idea, your question, your observations may never be known, shared, catch fire and spread to help yourself and others, become a new movement, or focus or interest at DEF CON or in hacking!

Weigh the possibility of all the bad that might happen against the good that could never happen, all because you didn't not post your question or idea. Your post could save the planet!

If a post that could save the planet is not posted, you have just doomed us all! All because you didn't post your idea.

Rules? Yeah, rules. They are long and tedious, and there is a historical reason for each and every one of them. If you want to improve your chances at avoiding problems, read them, but the most fundamental thing the rules boil down to? "Don't be a jerk." Some users were not as smart as you, and did not understand "Don't be a Jerk" so other more specific rules were added. You are smarter than those people, yes? You can save time: read the "name of the rule" and if the title does not make sense to you, then read the details contained below the title for each rule.

Beyond rules? Subjective claims are more likely to result is disagreement than objective claims:
    * Subjective: opinions, un-provable claims, etc
    * Objective: things that can be demonstrated through third party repeated experiment, things proven mathematically, facts. (An opinion is not a fact just because someone claims it is.)

Subjective discussions are more likely to attract a greater number of responses, but also increase the chances for emotional responses in favor, or against a post, Also, it is possible these discussions will never result in a conclusion or agreement. For these, there claims there is "right" and "wrong" which are not the same as "correct" and "incorrect."
    Objective discussions are less likely to attract large number of replies, and are at smaller risk for emotional replies, but for each objective item, there is only one *correct* answer, so be prepared to be incorrect if your claim isn't correct.

Advantages to forums:
    * If you ask your question about a content, event, village, etc. in the forums for it, and an organizer replies, you have just archived a question an answer for EVERYONE that may have the same question.
    * If you run a contest , event or village, and you maintain your own website, will you maintain it 10 years from now? The forums have been around since ~2001! Your content has a better chance of persisting on the forums.
    * Plan with others before DEF CON, to get the most out of DEF CON when you are there.
    * Organize with the forums: maybe you don't have a website, and searching twitter history is hard. Use the forums as a place to save static content about the thing you are planning, so people can refer to it.

What other advantages do you know about with using the forums? What can be done to make them more useful?

Ask your question, post your idea, share your observations; maybe you can save the planet.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Article Tags

Collapse

Latest Articles

Collapse

• I want to post, but what if ...?
      by number6
      Welcome to the DEF CON forums!

Q: How do you know if your post will be well received, or people will complain?
      A: You don't. Nobody knows!

Part of being a hacker is trying new things. "What if I posted something and... ?" You can spend a lot of time thinking about all the possible events that may result in not feeling welcome, BUT no matter how likely or unlikely any of those outcomes are? There is one certainty if you DON'T post: your idea, your question,...
      July 6th, 2019, 12:21
    • Forum Features: How do I add a Poll? How do I add a calendar event?
      by number6
      Hello! Did you want to learn about DEF CON forum features? If there is interest in this kind of thing, I can post more suggestions on taking advantage of less well known forum features

Features to help you with your contest, event, social gathering, village or more...

Definitions:
      A Channel or a Forum (same thing) can contain 0 or more threads.
      A Topic or a Thread (same thing) can contain 1 or more posts.
      A Reply or Post can contain 0 or comments
      June 8th, 2019, 18:33
    Working...
    X