Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DefCon14 BCCC signup thread

Originally posted by ayeitis
    First timer, but happy to be here and part of the team.
    I'm in, and may have a partner (undecided as of yet)

BTW, I gave these folks a call, and they were very interested in the event-- maybe to the point of bringing out some "product" and conducting a fully interactive demonstration. http://www.turbotap.com

Please hold your applause until this actually comes together...

-Adrian
    "Jello Shot Manager"
    Gamez 'R Us

Now can they hook one to a deck chair by the pool? About a foot over the headrest....

Would be cool if we could have them participate with thier 'pro' gear and see how it goes. Handicap for having a budget and sponsorship though.

Still want to see the mythbusters out there to judge
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by ayeitis
      i'm sometimes pleased when people pour research and funding into alcohol related industries... but this just seems dissapointing to me. from what i can tell, it's a device with two main functions that define its purpose...

1. to be a dumbed-down, easy to operate aparatus that will help business owners to fire experienced bartenders and instead hire minimum wage drink jockeys.

2. to automatically rocket the beer into the glass in such a way that it is guaranteed to produce a foamy head, which they specifically advertise as a way to "get more servings out of each keg"... this is, of course, just a polite way of saying "cheat your customers out of one inch of the beer they're already overpaying you for"

the beers that actually should have a neat head on top (for flavor and sensation's sake) aren't pulled with a traditional tap (least of all a rocket monster like this), they are drawn from a controlled-flow tap. (ever get a Guiness in a proper pub? the tap will have two draft valve settings... one for the main pour, then another for the controlled top-off. if your stout doesn't have a bishop's hat on the top, then your bartender doesn't know his stuff)

this hardware seems best suited for bars that cater to the spring break crowd where everyone's drinking lite beer out of 7 oz plastic cups for $4 a glass.

of course, i could be reading this all wrong and missing the point somehow. in any case, a hearty welcome to the newcomer to the thread and the contest. i eagerly await your contraption.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

yeah, I'll be in. I think I'll be using a modified version of last years device.

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bryan
          yeah, I'll be in. I think I'll be using a modified version of last years device.
          sounds great... which entrant were you last year? (i don't recall your nick... is it different?)
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            sounds great... which entrant were you last year? (i don't recall your nick... is it different?)
            That is the real bryan, he has op'ted to compeate against Vegas 2.0 not with We are still in contest though, with our own device

(See dc702 association)
            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Sorry if this is unacceptable, but will this event be expected at next years DefCon?
              It is by doubting that we come to investigate, and by investigating that we recognize the truth.-Peter Abelard

Comment

Originally posted by Demonblaid
                Sorry if this is unacceptable, but will this event be expected at next years DefCon?
                as long as people keep enjoying it and wanting to show up, i'll keep running it. it's not like we need an excuse at defcon to pour lots of drinks in a huge coordinated effort... but i don't mind the concept.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Ok! Thanks sir. I was wondering because I am unable to attend DefCon this year because I must go to a family reunion. If this event takes place next year I hope to be in it.
                  It is by doubting that we come to investigate, and by investigating that we recognize the truth.-Peter Abelard

Comment

Ok! Thanks sir. I was wondering because I am unable to attend DefCon this year because I must go to a family reunion. If this event takes place next year I hope to be in it.
                    looking forward to seeing what you come up with then. heh, if you make it next year you can be in it... we'll keep some beer cold for ya. er, well, room temperature anyway.
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Yessss, I am going to enter the BCCC. Looking forward to
                      seeing all the entries and contraptions!

Comment

Wait, Its a "Beer" cooling contest. Or a "Beverage" because I happen to be the lowly age of 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam

1. to be a dumbed-down, easy to operate aparatus that will help business owners to fire experienced bartenders and instead hire minimum wage drink jockeys.
                          What about these:

http://www.livescience.com/scienceof...1117_trot.html
                          http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...videoid=100073
                          http://www.motoman.com/products/noni...al/robobar.htm

Long live robots! :) I for one welcome our new robotic bartenders!

-LosT

Comment

Wait, Its a "Beer" cooling contest. Or a "Beverage" because I happen to be the lowly age of 17.
                            underage participants are allowed. if you have anyone on your team who is of age, we can legally hand the beer to them... after it goes through the machine it's up to them what happens to it. we also will have some non-alcoholic beer available if a team has no members over 21. trust me, there's always a way to do just about anything... and participating in the BCCC is no exception. we'll make it happen for whomever shows up.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

I think an "open" beer may be a concern but if it is closed and you don't ask for money for it, hey. It's like asking your kid to get you a beer out of the fridge.

Comment

What if your over 21 but don't want to use beer? Will this effect the outcome of your project and points received?
                                "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Working...
                                X