any more news on PokerCon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any more news on PokerCon?

a while back allentrace was getting information together about PokerCon... just wondering what the latest word on all that was. did it look promising? how many people had been interested? potential buy-in amount being considered, etc.

i'm still happy to be a part of something like that if it's at a sensible date/hour and doesn't eat up too much of my con time.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    a while back allentrace was getting information together about PokerCon... just wondering what the latest word on all that was. did it look promising? how many people had been interested? potential buy-in amount being considered, etc.

i'm still happy to be a part of something like that if it's at a sensible date/hour and doesn't eat up too much of my con time.
    Did it happen at the last DefCon as was discussed? I see it was brought up again as a suggestion for the next con.

Comment

Dont worry the idea is alive and well.... but things have been a little hectic here, not to mention 2 close family members dying in the last month. More details will come as I finalize some stuff.
      Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Here is some news:
        It has a space for discussion now.

Suggestion:
        Organizers (Last I heard, Allentrace and Xodia might be working together on this and) will probably want to run this idea by Russ and DT to make sure this won't conflict with anything they might be planning, with respect to the possibility of custom DefCon chips.

Also, don't forget to submit intentions to blackbeetle for scheduling/entry on the callendar and as an unofficial event.

Comment

We have submitted the idea to DT. After getting word from him we'll run it by Russ to see about getting some space for the event (depending on how many people are interested).

Stay tuned, space cowboys.
          The dude abides.

Comment

A quick word

My two cents is that this is something I want to do at DC and I know a few places that can make the chips if we like

Comment

Originally posted by loki151
              My two cents is that this is something I want to do at DC and I know a few places that can make the chips if we like
              We're looking into custom chips at the moment. It all depends on the number of people that will play. For a ten person tourney about 500 chips would be needed. 500 good quality custom chips would be around $200-300 dollars (thats the best I've been able to find. If someone knows of lower get in touch.). We're working out a way to break even(or lose $100 or less) and still have custom chips.
              The dude abides.

Comment

sounds like a lot of fun, but if the custom chips are $300 and you only expect 10 people to enter, the buy-in would have to be over $30 just for you to break even. I'm not saying I want you to lose money, but what about 1st, and 2nd place prizes? these obviously don't have to be money, but I think the winners will want some type rewards (DC swag..etc). I think with the right advertisement, you could get alot of people to enter. I know more people = more custom chips, but it would lower the overall price of the buy-in. A lower buy-in equates to more people entering and the more people that enter, the better the prizes can be.
                All your base are belong to .

Comment

Originally posted by xgermx
                  what about 1st, and 2nd place prizes? these obviously don't have to be money, but I think the winners will want some type rewards
                  what if the 2nd place person gets his or her buy-in money back plus one of the chips sets used at a table? maybe the top winner gets $50, a chip set, and some swag donated by vendors... i'm sure that there could be a couple shirts, maybe some stickers, etc. to me, tho, the chance to obtain a chip set is the real prize.

then, you could keep the remaining chips for future years or the rest could be sold to whomever wanted them. don't know what types of chips you'd order... maybe during the tournament you have a full compliment of colors... and winners get sets that include almost the whole array, while "purchased" sets are only low value colors. that keeps the winners' sets special (and allows for future orders to be placed with less cost since you'd only be re-supplying yourself with reds and blues for the next few years to come).

i know i would likely pay $20 for a small defcon chip set if i weren't one of the finalists (which is also a more than likely occurrence).
                  Last edited by Deviant Ollam; February 10, 2006, 15:09.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

I Agree on the points of rewards for placing in the top 2

But as for the format if we stuck to a 2/4 or 3/6 format and not a no limit format more people would love to play

As for the chips if i know what they needed to look like and if we wanted clay or plastic with what as a logo i could do more leg work

I know a lot of people don't have alot of money and its kinda uncool to drop people who want to play for not having alot of money

Now i asked a metal engraver if he would make a coin for me for the winer of poker con with the words defcon on one side and poker con champion 2006 on the other he said he would do if if he know more about what it will look like.

i know i have no right going around asking people but i need something to do.

Comment

As for the chips if i know what they needed to look like and if we wanted clay or plastic with what as a logo i could do more leg work
                      just my thoughts on this... clay if you want the chips to have keepsake value and resale value (if you plan on offering them somehow once everything is done)... if you do not plan on giving them away but rather just recycling them each year, then just plastic. personally, though, i prefer clay and the logistics it brings. you don't know what you'll be doing in years to come, or how many people you'll be setting things up for, etc. with all those variables it's almost better that this first year you expect to do what you can on the tables and unload the chips at the end as winner prizes and as sale items.

EDIT... by the way, this is a really terrific page i just found which offers information concerning chip amounts, planning how many chips for how many players, etc. great calculation tables there.

for logos, decorations, etc... i'll offer any suggestions i can there, too. key points i'd offer would be:

1. simple designs are best
                      2. do not ever include value amounts on chips
                      3. make one side the defcon logo

Now i asked a metal engraver if he would make a coin for me for the winer of poker con with the words defcon on one side and poker con champion 2006 on the other he said he would do if if he know more about what it will look like.
                      maybe this and the opposite face of the chips mentioned above could be a design contest. (unless the chips are one-sided... in which case i say the defcon logo works fine. simple trumps elaborate any day of the week.) i'm sure some of us in this thread might be willing to contribute ideas. perhaps it could even be listed as a mini-contest on the defcon main page. (heh, my BCCC event is main-paged at the moment... that's pretty spiffy) if the pokercon is listed on the main page it will generate lots of interest and the linked-to description page can include the logo design contest. the winner of the logo contest perhaps could get a free seat at the table with no buy-in.
                      Last edited by Deviant Ollam; February 11, 2006, 07:01.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Many many good ideas, folks.

We are getting clay composite chips. Our buy in will be $20 at most. Yes, we would like to break even, but we pretty well know for this event to be the way it should be it would be hard to do that. The final price on the chips is $200 per five hundred. Odds are we will end up with two sets of custom chips because I doubt we will have more than 21 players. If so, we won't ALL have custom chips.
                        As for prizes, a chip set and your buy in money back is a great idea! I would never had thought of that. That will definitely be the second place prize(In addition to the awesome PokerCon themed DC859 shirt and a 2nd place ranking coin/medal.). First place will get a larger sum of money than their buy in (to be determined based on the number of people playing. No less than $40), swag, A coin/medal to show their awesome status (if your guy falls through Loki, we have another), and an iPod shuffle. Third place will recieve their buy in money back and the DC859 PokerCon t-shirt along with their third place ranking coin/medal.

A logo design competition is a good idea too. I'll run it past all the other DC859 guys tonight and see what they think.

Great ideas guys! Keep them coming. After the DC859 meet tonight we should be able to have the PokerCon website up by Tuesday. Keep in mind that we do not plan on making any money on this competition. All money will go straight back into it. We plan on losing $100 or less actually. So if we get more than 21 people playing prizes will grow in magnitude.
                        Last edited by Xodia; February 11, 2006, 11:40.
                        The dude abides.

Comment

We gotta get RFID chips in them, just because.

How about Limited Edition sets to help pay for them? Have one chip of each denomination and sell them for three to five times more.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
                            Many many good ideas, folks.

We are getting clay composite chips. Our buy in will be $20 at most. Yes, we would like to break even, but we pretty well know for this event to be the way it should be it would be hard to do that. The final price on the chips is $200 per five hundred. Odds are we will end up with two sets of custom chips because I doubt we will have more than 21 players. If so, we won't ALL have custom chips.
                            As for prizes, a chip set and your buy in money back is a great idea! I would never had thought of that. That will definitely be the second place prize(In addition to the awesome PokerCon themed DC859 shirt and a 2nd place ranking coin/medal.). First place will get a larger sum of money than their buy in (to be determined based on the number of people playing. No less than $40), swag, A coin/medal to show their awesome status (if your guy falls through Loki, we have another), and an iPod shuffle. Third place will recieve their buy in money back and the DC859 PokerCon t-shirt along with their third place ranking coin/medal.

A logo design competition is a good idea too. I'll run it past all the other DC859 guys tonight and see what they think.

Great ideas guys! Keep them coming. After the DC859 meet tonight we should be able to have the PokerCon website up by Tuesday. Keep in mind that we do not plan on making any money on this competition. All money will go straight back into it. We plan on losing $100 or less actually. So if we get more than 21 people playing prizes will grow in magnitude.

I think you'll get more than 21 if it's NL Hold Em. If It's limit, I think you will reduce the number of players. If it's NL, I am in. No doubt about it and can pretty much guarantee at least 5 others that I KNOW will participate.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                              I think you'll get more than 21 if it's NL Hold Em. If It's limit, I think you will reduce the number of players. If it's NL, I am in. No doubt about it and can pretty much guarantee at least 5 others that I KNOW will participate.
                              It is indeed NL Hold Em'. If we get more than 16 signed up to participate a month before con we will definitely have more than two custom chip sets. I figure with a large amount of pre-con registration for the event it would imply that once word got out AT con the event would grow alot.
                              I am just thinking with small numbers in mind until I have a reason not to. It makes things easier on the brain. :)
                              The dude abides.

Comment

Working...
                              X