Better lanyards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better lanyards

A longer and higher quality lanyard would be a great thing to add to a new location this year. Something a little wider and a touch longer would be fabulous.

This might be an item that a vendor would consider selling? I know I would buy one.

Why we haven

Wider = sweatier
    Longer = more $$$ - not a standard length lanyard

Last year there were complaints that the 3/4" lanyard was too wide as opposed to the 1/2 inch from years previous.
    blackbeetle

Comment

I must say I am a big fan of the lanyards that shmoocon has been using, soft material, and black ;) I guess you can always import your own lanyard. If price is an issue why not have an offical couple of lanyards for sell at the little company (defcon) store, One can never have to many lanyards.
      ~:CK:~
      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

why not just go to hottopic and buy a bunch of different shoelaces and sell them there? or just go and buy your own?
        Soulidium (So-li-de-um) The place within us that contains the mystical spirit and soul of our creative artistry. A place where the fabric of our lives and experiences are transformed into their artistic equivalents; A housing for the very voice of our souls...

Comment

You will never satisfy everyone with one style. For someone, it will always be too short, too long, too wide, too narrow, not the right material or color, or whatever. Just pick something and stick with it, and those that aren't satisfied can buy or bring their own.
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
            You will never satisfy everyone with one style. For someone, it will always be too short, too long, too wide, too narrow, not the right material or color, or whatever. Just pick something and stick with it, and those that aren't satisfied can buy or bring their own.

For the most part I have no complaints. One year the beaded lanyward was black and I swear it must have been done with a marker - the black wore off on everyone's neck. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
              You will never satisfy everyone with one style.
              Of course not, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I don't hear anyone arguing with ck3k about the Shmoocon lanyards ... and the good news is that I hear we have an "in" with those guys.

Originally posted by astcell
              One year the beaded lanyward was black and I swear it must have been done with a marker - the black wore off on everyone's neck.
              My money was on spraypaint. Too bad the nickname "blackneck" never took hold.

Those steel plates were pretty cool, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                Of course not, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I don't hear anyone arguing with ck3k about the Shmoocon lanyards ... and the good news is that I hear we have an "in" with those guys.
                Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't see any problem with surveying people and getting a good feel for what people want. If there are ways to improve, certainly, by all means, it should be done. I've never been to defcon (and with my wife to be nearly 8 months pregnant by this year's defcon, I won't be there this year either), but I did like the shmoo lanyards, that is a good place to start.
                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

We should move to RFID, then we can do away with lanyards, and quickly survey room populations, and make it easier to track DefCon people.

On a serious note, the beads that made people's necks turn black would not be too bad if it were not for the turning people's necks black.

Also, there was a time when lanyards were not even necessary, and I've even got one or more DefCon badges that used a "clip-on" somewhere around here. (I prefer lanyards over clip-ons.) And with one, it had a clip-on, but I replaced that with a lanyard that had a clip-on.

The move to lanyards was a good idea, and the idea to use lanyard "loops" instead of clips was a good idea.

Beyond the above, I liked all of the loop lanyards that looped through the badges, for a more secure connection. Clips=bad. Continuous lanyards that loop through badges=good.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                    We should move to RFID, then we can do away with lanyards, and quickly survey room populations, and make it easier to track DefCon people.
                    Isn't that the point of owning a Bluetooth phone?

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                    On a serious note, the beads that made people's necks turn black would not be too bad if it were not for the turning people's necks black.
                    The beads were a little rough on the skin, but it is difficult to make a good, secure loop of fabric. (Personally, I've never had problems with the clips.)

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                      Isn't that the point of owning a Bluetooth phone?
                      Heh. That'll teach 'em. (That will teach them.)

The beads were a little rough on the skin, but it is difficult to make a good, secure loop of fabric.
                      Perhaps allergic reaction to metals may be a problem too.

(Personally, I've never had problems with the clips.)
                      Well, there have been different kinds of clips over the years.

The worst "clips" were the one that worked like clothespins-- a hinge, a spring, two pieces of metal that clamp down on something to hold it.

Then there were lanyards that used a kind of spring-sealed fishinghook loop which were not too bad. These were fairly common over several years.

The "spring-sealed, fishinghook-style" lanyard connectors were not too bad, but come in 2nd place for me. I really did not like these for the DC9, fluid-filled badges- I had a mild fear that the metal would puncture the plastic "bag" and cause the fluid to leak out. (It never did leak out, and the badge still "works" as a puzzle.)
                      Last edited by TheCotMan; January 29th, 2006, 09:52. Reason: fix typo

Comment

I keep posting this every year, I would like the option to buy more lanyards from the Defcon onsite and online store.
                        Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by ck3k
                          I must say I am a big fan of the lanyards that shmoocon has been using, soft material, and black ;) I guess you can always import your own lanyard.
                          I agree, the ShmooCon lanyards were nice. Thats why I plan on importing my ShmooCon lanyard to DC 14. Comfort and style will fuse to confuse the populace into thinking, "Is this ShmooCon?"
                          I really never had any problem with the lanyards from the last two years. I actually found the blue and yellow one to be a refreshing change from the normal black color scheme.
                          The dude abides.

Comment

DC14 Lanyards and Badges with style?

if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

FLAVOR FLAV!

People are sensitive about the lanyards? WTF?

As long as there aren't gimpy die cut badges that snap in half again this year, I'll be happy.
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                              [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
                              X