Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FedEx Club

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    Are all five ports 1000? The earlier linksys switches only had the upload link as 1000.
    I saw a
    netgear 5 port 10/100/1000 on newegg
    for something like $40 with a $10 rebate.

I'll probably bring that with me to con too. I'm not sure what I'll do for external Disk though. Cheap, fast, external USB2/Firewire 1-2 TB drives are not very common-- yet.

Comment

Are all five ports 1000? The earlier linksys switches only had the upload link as 1000.
      Yes, all five show as 1000 when I connect to them with my MBP.
      DaKahuna

Comment

ya, but it probably couldn't handle 1000 sustained on all ports, possibly 100 or so on all though, which should work out. Ideally the dump server would take two of those .. then divy load across the two 1000 nics to keep the box writing as fast as it can receive
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge View Post
          ya, but it probably couldn't handle 1000 sustained on all ports, possibly 100 or so on all though, which should work out. Ideally the dump server would take two of those .. then divy load across the two 1000 nics to keep the box writing as fast as it can receive
          Well, with a little reconfiguration and downgrading of non-gigabit interfaces to 100 Mb/s I could take the 8-port 10/100/1000 off my home LAN and bring that with me instead of the 5 port. I was thinking that 5 port would be enough for us to use in case Deviant wanted to set it up in the Lockpick or WiFi Villag but if not, somebody let me know and I'll start redoing the home LAN.
          DaKahuna

Comment

nah, 5 ports should do .. 2 for dump server, 3 for user (2+1 split to interfaces on the dump box) .. others wanting to dump could feasibly connect through USB/firewire on a box as well. .. just not Renderman, he's banned from USB ports.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

In light of this I will setup a pc to bring with multiple network cards and a crap ton of stuff to share and a lot of extra hd space. Mabye organizing a time and place we can start the dc swap spot or something. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by staticblac View Post
                In light of this I will setup a pc to bring with multiple network cards and a crap ton of stuff to share and a lot of extra hd space. Mabye organizing a time and place we can start the dc swap spot or something. Just my 2 cents.
                sweet, this could kick a lot of ass, i think.

and thank you for being so great about doubling my movie collection overnight!
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

I am tempted to buy a few of the drives from Tiger that I showed you as a local backup....

Comment

I am tempted to buy a few of the drives from Tiger that I showed you as a local backup....
                    not a bad plan, i'm going to create a new box specifically dedicated to keeping an independent archive of the two cases. been wondering what i was going to do with this extra machine... looks like it's construction time again, yet another RAID-5 array the size of a kitchen appliance.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      not a bad plan, i'm going to create a new box specifically dedicated to keeping an independent archive of the two cases. been wondering what i was going to do with this extra machine... looks like it's construction time again, yet another RAID-5 array the size of a kitchen appliance.
                      Well i have always heard it said that you can't have too many of those RAID thingys!
                      DaKahuna

Comment

I always wondered -- what do you do when you run out of drive letters? Do you just have to make RAIDS so you never have more than 26 disks? And what if we used an alphabet with say 12 letters? Think we will go to come sort of drive numbering instead?

Comment

I always wondered -- what do you do when you run out of drive letters? Do you just have to make RAIDS so you never have more than 26 disks? And what if we used an alphabet with say 12 letters? Think we will go to come sort of drive numbering instead?
                          My guess windows would crash. This is why nix* systems have mount points. I think I am gonna have to get a few sata controllers and see if I found a new approach to crashing windows lol.

Comment

Originally posted by staticblac View Post
                            My guess windows would crash. This is why nix* systems have mount points. I think I am gonna have to get a few sata controllers and see if I found a new approach to crashing windows lol.
                            Microsoft has supported mount points since at least Windows 2000 and they actually work quite well. From Disk Management, simply "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." and assign the drive to an empty NTFS folder.

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

Well you don't have to increase the number of RAIDS, you can increase the size of them or the size of the drives that are in the RAIDS ..
                                DaKahuna

Comment

Working...
                                X