Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want your ideas and input!!!

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    I would like to see more forum badge encouragement, to help identify each other. i'll do a template again if that helps. The years someone does a template seem to get more people wearing the avatar badges...

I agree, I think there are about 10-15 people who routinely do it at DefCon. The problem is that we all know who each other are already. If you don't do a template, let me know - I'll write a script on my site to generate them for printing.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

This is going to sound arrogant, but I really am only interested in meeting people at the forum meets that are at least semi-regulars around here. Someone who signs up a week before Defcon (you know how the new user count goes up exponentially as the conference approaces) and posts three times...
      So at what point does a person become l33t enough to be allowed to attend the forum meet? I'm only asking this for the selfish reason of knowing at what point you're allowed to attend.
      afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
        So at what point does a person become l33t enough to be allowed to attend the forum meet? I'm only asking this for the selfish reason of knowing at what point you're allowed to attend.
        I asked about this in the past. A friend of mine was coming with me to Defcon, who was not on the forums. I was told that even non-forum members are welcome, but might have a tougher time because they probably won't know many of the other people present.

Of course, times change. You'll have to see what the leader/organizer says. :-)

Comment

at the point one becomes conscious enough to ask the question. Welcome. :-) I am the one wearing pink shoes. :-)

Comment

I would say all are welcome, but unless you know who your talking to (not elite meaning) it would get someone boring.

Or as a newbie, just run around introducing yourself, handing out kisses and/or bottles of tequila.

OR ! Do something so um...interesting/stupid/amazing/strange that you are talked about on the forum.

Also, I would add the suggestion of "best of" for the previous year on the Forum..best discussion, ect..

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
            at the point one becomes conscious enough to ask the question. Welcome. :-) I am the one wearing pink shoes. :-)
            +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
              I would say all are welcome, but unless you know who your talking to (not elite meaning) it would get someone boring.

Or as a newbie, just run around introducing yourself, handing out kisses and/or bottles of tequila.

OR ! Do something so um...interesting/stupid/amazing/strange that you are talked about on the forum.

Also, I would add the suggestion of "best of" for the previous year on the Forum..best discussion, ect..
              Suggestions for above: "best retarded posts" "best troll" :P
              "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Its not a leet thing. That's not what I meant. Just saying I want to talk to those I talk to here.

Comment

I hate when people infer stuff in statements that are not even there to being with. I didn't say anything about this in my first reply, because I thought everyone understood what he meant.

This is going to sound arrogant, but I really am only interested in meeting people at the forum meets that are at least semi-regulars around here. Someone who signs up a week before Defcon (you know how the new user count goes up exponentially as the conference approaces) and posts three times...
                  Then some crack smoker said:

Seriously, he didn't say you have to be at a certain level to attend the forum meet. All he said was that he really only care to talk to regular forum members... Are you trolling or do you really need to go off and work on the comprehension skills?

In all honesty I really don't want to meet anyone that's not a forum regular, and you can add to that the bitches and whiner babies. Afterburn, I did want to meet you, but after this post I don't think I do.
                  And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

I don't think there should be some bizarre 1337mus test to be able to attend. Realistically, aside from wearing a forum badge that you make yourself I don't think there should be any other requirement for entry (and even then I am not 100% sure we want to make ANY requirement for entry).

That said, I agree with those that have already posted, if you don't know people by being an active member of the forums prior to Con I doubt you'll have much interest or fun...unless there's beer. Sweet, glorious beer.
                    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

The only requirement for entry should be a forum badge of any sort, and a pair of High Top Converse All Stars; any color.

xor
                      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        I don't think there should be some bizarre 1337mus test to be able to attend. Realistically, aside from wearing a forum badge that you make yourself I don't think there should be any other requirement for entry (and even then I am not 100% sure we want to make ANY requirement for entry).

That said, I agree with those that have already posted, if you don't know people by being an active member of the forums prior to Con I doubt you'll have much interest or fun...unless there's beer. Sweet, glorious beer.
                        I heard Chris's native language. He is how I translate the above:
                        "If you want to attend the forum meet and aren't on the forums, you need to bring free beer... and it has to be beer that I like."

The idea to make the Forum meet into a party sounds like a good idea.

Previous years, wasn't the meet just a bunch of people introducing themselves in a room followed by a little chatting among people, until different groups go off and find fun elsewhere? A local party might retain members and encourage more to appear.
                        Last edited by TheCotMan; February 11, 2009, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                          Seriously, he didn't say you have to be at a certain level to attend the forum meet. All he said was that he really only care to talk to regular forum members... Are you trolling or do you really need to go off and work on the comprehension skills?

In all honesty I really don't want to meet anyone that's not a forum regular, and you can add to that the bitches and whiner babies. Afterburn, I did want to meet you, but after this post I don't think I do.
                          I'm sorry I did not mean to offend, this is why I said for selfish reasons. Maybe I could have worded the statement better (aka left out the 'leet' joke). I was not trying to infer, troll, bitch, whine, or cry like a baby. I just wanted to be sure I didn't start poking my nose around some place where I wasn't wanted. I did that earlier this year and found myself removed from a mailing list where I probably didn't belong in hindsight. I thus learned my lesson and figured I would ask before assuming. I was not trying to complain or poke fun at LosT's comment, I was simply trying to ask for a clarification. I didn't want to start voicing my opinion about the meet because I didn't really know who was even allowed. I just wanted to clarify who was allowed to attend and what was expected of them. My reason for concern was I technically joined during the pre-DEFcon period (defcon16 for me) that was described by Lost and am still rather new to the forums from my perspective. I am sorry if I somehow offended you HighWiz or Lost, since this was not my intention.
                          Last edited by afterburn188; February 11, 2009, 15:53. Reason: trying to clarify
                          afterburn

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                            I heard Chris's native language. He is how I translate the above:
                            "If you want to attend the forum meet and aren't on the forums, you need to bring free beer... and it has to be beer that I like."
                            You sir are exceptionally astute.

For the newbs...

Rolling Rock is preferred. If you can't find the Rock and need alternate choices PM me and I will provide the full list.

Comment

I'm sorry I did not mean to offend, this is why I said for selfish reasons. Maybe I could have worded the statement better (aka left out the 'leet' joke). I was not trying to infer, troll, bitch, whine, or cry like a baby. I just wanted to be sure I didn't start poking my nose around some place where I wasn't wanted. I did that earlier this year and found myself removed from a mailing list where I probably didn't belong in hindsight. I thus learned my lesson and figured I would ask before assuming. I was not trying to complain or poke fun at LosT's comment, I was simply trying to ask for a clarification. I didn't want to start voicing my opinion about the meet because I didn't really know who was even allowed. I just wanted to clarify who was allowed to attend and what was expected of them. My reason for concern was I technically joined during the pre-DEFcon period (defcon16 for me) that was described by Lost and am still rather new to the forums from my perspective. I am sorry if I somehow offended you HighWiz or Lost, since this was not my intention.
                              It's all good. If you hadn't mentioned the leet thing then I wouldn't have been able to make my awesome 1337mus test joke (which I am sure everyone is going to comment on the exceptional wittiness of any minute) so it's all worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                It's all good. If you hadn't mentioned the leet thing then I wouldn't have been able to make my awesome 1337mus test joke (which I am sure everyone is going to comment on the exceptional wittiness of any minute) so it's all worth it.
                                Boys are 'tards. Sometimes exceptionally witty, but 'tards none the less. :-)

Regards,

valkyrie
                                __________________________________________________ _______
                                sapere aude

Comment

Working...
                                X