I want your ideas and input!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want your ideas and input!!!

This might hit two birds with one stone, if the forum meet was before the Vegas Summit which last year was Thursday night at 9pm, and we got the space at like 7pm, we'd have the bartender?!? (I don't remember much of Thursday evening, Thanks DT and Black Hat Vendor parties!!! ) and with that two hours have plenty of time for PGP keysigning, networking, food, drinking, etc.

Having the Riv bartender, or a proxy of one, we'd have C.Y.A. for the youngsters trying to drink, and since we'd all be badged, we could opt to pay the $40 donation to the EFF before 9pm and stick around until they kicked us out, or make plans for the rest of the evening, food, more booze, or catch up on sleep before the big event. (yeah, right...)
    Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Thursday evening would be great, this year I'm trying to find the social angle of Defcon. It's somewhat tough when all you have is an handle and an icon to identify people with.

I'm the tall brunette with the black Aussie hat and the goggles...

Comment

I like the idea of having the forum badges, I know that my first 2 years at con the badge really helped to remember people's names. I still have the one twinvega printed up for me, and wear it every year.

We should also problably have simple name-tags for the people who forgot to make one, then we can make fun of them for poor planning... :)

Kallahar
        --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon View Post
          This might hit two birds with one stone, if the forum meet was before the Vegas Summit which last year was Thursday night at 9pm, and we got the space at like 7pm, we'd have the bartender?!? (I don't remember much of Thursday evening, Thanks DT and Black Hat Vendor parties!!! ) and with that two hours have plenty of time for PGP keysigning, networking, food, drinking, etc.

Having the Riv bartender, or a proxy of one, we'd have C.Y.A. for the youngsters trying to drink, and since we'd all be badged, we could opt to pay the $40 donation to the EFF before 9pm and stick around until they kicked us out, or make plans for the rest of the evening, food, more booze, or catch up on sleep before the big event. (yeah, right...)
          Except you may not be factoring in the ToxicBBQ, which many of the forums people attend.

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
          Thursday evening would be great, this year I'm trying to find the social angle of Defcon. It's somewhat tough when all you have is an handle and an icon to identify people with.

I'm the tall brunette with the black Aussie hat and the goggles...
          Thursday Social: DefCon 101 --> ToxicBBQ --> Summit

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
          We should also problably have simple name-tags for the people who forgot to make one, then we can make fun of them for poor planning... :)
          Seconded!
          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
            Except you may not be factoring in the ToxicBBQ, which many of the forums people attend.
            Which is why I'm sticking with us meeting up Friday night.

Seconded!
            Done and added to my packing list so I don't forget to bring them.

I'm still taking down ideas so if you have more please post them here.

PS: Gummy Bears are a bit messy but I think it can work.
            "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Could merge it with the TBBQ?

Originally posted by lil_freak View Post
              Which is why I'm sticking with us meeting up Friday night.

Done and added to my packing list so I don't forget to bring them.

I'm still taking down ideas so if you have more please post them here.

PS: Gummy Bears are a bit messy but I think it can work.
              +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                Could merge it with the TBBQ?
                That's been mentioned a number of times in the past and shot down (rightly so), since it would leave out lots of people who can't attend the toxicbbq.
                And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

That's been mentioned a number of times in the past and shot down (rightly so), since it would leave out lots of people who can't attend the toxicbbq.
                  People like like many of the goons that might attend if it was at the riv.

Comment

Yes..forgot. Trying to make the square peg fit in the round hole..

+++ Dallas +++

Comment

While the circumstances are horrible, the Summit isn't going to happen this year from what I understand. As there is a gap in the Top of the Riv area, would the Forum Meet be able to fill in?
                      ----------------------------------------
                      Fraternal Order of Locksport

Comment

Originally posted by valanx View Post
                        While the circumstances are horrible, the Summit isn't going to happen this year from what I understand. As there is a gap in the Top of the Riv area, would the Forum Meet be able to fill in?
                        It is a good idea, but it would be wise to hold off on that for a few days for that, as I think another proposal came in ahead of that one on use of that space. Give it a few days to mature, and maybe something will appear in public.

If I don't hear anything of the rumor I heard in a few days, I'll contact the people involved and see if anything was decided, and maybe see if they can make an announcement if a decision was made.

Sorry to be cryptic, but it is not my place to make an announcement on, "what," only to suggest holding off on that idea because something else may have preempted it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                          It is a good idea, but it would be wise to hold off on that for a few days for that, as I think another proposal came in ahead of that one on use of that space. Give it a few days to mature, and maybe something will appear in public.

If I don't hear anything of the rumor I heard in a few days, I'll contact the people involved and see if anything was decided, and maybe see if they can make an announcement if a decision was made.

Sorry to be cryptic, but it is not my place to make an announcement on, "what," only to suggest holding off on that idea because something else may have preempted it.
                          There was progress, and someone has a plan to do something, but they need approval from at least 2 people, and then there might be an answer on this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                            There was progress, and someone has a plan to do something, but they need approval from at least 2 people, and then there might be an answer on this.
                            Any more info since the last post?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
                              Any more info since the last post?
                              Yep. Finally, it was announced that the room in question was taken back by The Summit, to be run this year by Dallas until Vegas 2.0 can come back next year.

This means that room is unavailable.

I couldn't discuss this, as it wasn't announced, and people were still getting permission and synchronized.

Nikita answered this in this post in the same forum.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                                I would like to see more forum badge encouragement, to help identify each other. i'll do a template again if that helps. The years someone does a template seem to get more people wearing the avatar badges...
                                Is it time to start the forum badge encouragement now?
                                Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes. (Spaf)

Comment

Working...
                                X