Starting on Thursday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting on Thursday....

A talk or 2 is fine, but I think they crammed too much in. The original intention in my mind was a brief talk from old timers to newbies about how not to be stupid.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
      A talk or 2 is fine, but I think they crammed too much in. The original intention in my mind was a brief talk from old timers to newbies about how not to be stupid.
      That is correct. At least that was the original intention of the Pontifical We.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
        i'm with you on that one. something highly limited in scope, not taking place in the main con area, that can be overseen by a skeleton crew of goons (whose lives on thursday are best left to other affairs) might have some benefit... but just a DC101 type of event.

teaching people who to survive DEFCON is a fine mission, pre-DEFCON. teaching people the sort of stuff they can learn at DEFCON is what should take place at DEFCON. again, maybe i'm just biased because of what happened with the physical security side of things...

Originally posted by spyhunter View Post
        It would have been awesome if the vendor area and lp village was opened sooner
        all this sort of feeling will have one unquestioned result... and we saw a preview of it this year... the Thursday events will either be not as good as the rest of the con (farmed out to people without ties to what makes DC really great) or they will burn up people's energy too soon, making people grumpy and sick on Sunday.

Originally posted by chris
        Please god let "It's too much" win this poll.
        i am personally willing to lob grenades at people who attempt to vote the other way if you can hand them to me fast enough, brother. i want to see Thursday restored to "doing stuff away from DEFCON" status. there's nothing wrong with dedicated people being in vegas early... nor is there anything bad about doing stuff together away from the con space early... but the actual doors opening on those ballrooms and the reg process etc etc etc... that should be Fri/Sat/Sun.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Four days of Defcon? Maybe not.

Four days of Defcon and related events? YES

I did not get to the forum meets because I was still in line for food at the Toxic BBQ. I barely made the EFF. Sushicon overlapped another event too. Maybe these events are becoming cliquish because they seem to be scheduled with complete disregard for the possibility of actually getting to more than one of them.

Comment

I like 4 days of Defcon. I would have preferred to only have had the only Thursday presentation be the DC101 event, but I could be totally for opening skyboxes, if it did not require a goon to manage them.

There were 2 "must see" presentations on my list. One was Lockheed's presentation on the Defcon Network, and history of how they got from "then" to "now" and I had to rudely get up and leave his presentation after 1 hour because the toxic bbq was one of the two non-presentation events that was on my must-see list. (This year, the DC-Shoot was the other one.)

I did manage to meet Lockheed later, and let him know that it wasn't personal or about the presentation, just about other promises I made before I knew his presentation was on Thursday against the TBBQ.

I like having the opportunity to Thursday events, and choice is very nice, but because of the many rolled-out Thursday events, I lost opportunity to spend time with some goons, and take them to the Toxic BBQ for the first time ever.

Instead, we went to the store to buy some meat, bribed che to cook them, and brought back some steaks and BBQ-ed chicken back to two of the goons to eat. We met them just before they would have gone to Kady's to eat, and they appreciated the food, even though they lost the opportunity to attend to TBBQ. Other food was brought back to dispatch, and maybe the NOC by other people. I think I saw Banshee and 2 other people hauling supplies from the TBBQ while I was out with other people on the balcony.

For selfish reasons, I would prefer to see Thursdays limited to a few presentations that only require a small number of goons to be present, and if these events could be limited to totally newbie-related presentations, then there wouldn't be much or any push by long-time attendees to join these presentations, thus allowing long-time attendees to still have the usual Thursday events open to them without contention, or conflict.

Really, I'd like to see what few Defcon services there were, closed early every night up to and including Thursday, but that is for my own selfish reasons, even if my wants are unrealistic.

Comment

I voted no.

Wednesday and Thursday is for social engineering your way into the Blackhat parties.
              “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Although I loved the opportunity to be involved with DC101 on Thursday, I too, thought Thursday was supposed to be super low-key and low maintenance for the Goons, not a full-blown con day. The staff already works their asses off to make DC an amazing event every year. I hated to see them kill themselves like that, especially with so many of them coming straight off of BlackHat. I also missed too many folks at TBBQ, although there were SOO many people there this year, many of the usual staff suspects were absent because of the extra scheduled workday.

I was ultimately fine with the extra day, (and I really loved being there on Wed. when it was a ghost town except for a few key folks) but grumpy, overworked Goons on Sunday aren't pretty. I voted we drop Thursday. Thursday should be for the TBBQ, The Summit and getting settled into our hotels. The Goons should have time to reset between BH & DC. They shouldn't have to hit the ground running like that.
                There's a better form of security: Reconnect with the rest of the world, don't shut it out; stop making enemies and start making friends. Perhaps it's asking a lot to expect America to act differently from all the other empires in history, but wasn't that the original idea?' -Brian Eno

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                  Maybe these events are becoming cliquish because they seem to be scheduled with complete disregard for the possibility of actually getting to more than one of them.
                  I don't think it's a matter of disregard for conflicting events, it's just that there are only so many hours in a Con weekend, and there are so many events, with new ones added every year, there's no way they're not going to conflict. You just have to chose wisely, young Padawan. Prioritizing is key! ;)
                  There's a better form of security: Reconnect with the rest of the world, don't shut it out; stop making enemies and start making friends. Perhaps it's asking a lot to expect America to act differently from all the other empires in history, but wasn't that the original idea?' -Brian Eno

Comment

Full Disclosure: being involved with DC101, my opinion may be biased.

On one hand, I can see how Thursday is too much for the staff and goons. A fourth day really can wear people down.

On the other hand, I do think that there is both a desire and need for something for the n00bs. I know many people, including some here don't agree with me on that front.

I guess perhaps the compromise would be something n00b oriented, running Friday or throughout con.

If the poll hadn't been an absolute Yes/No question. But rather, three choices...

Yes, 4 days of DEFCON is the way to go

No, 4 days of DEFCON is too much

No, 4 days of DEFCON is too much, but there still should be something n00b related.

I think you wouldn't have so many people standing behind 4 days of con.

As for the n00b related idea's, that's best left for another thread, at a later time.

I wasn't planning on posting for a while, but I figured that the poll may close before I was done my Post-Con break.
                    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      i am personally willing to lob grenades at people who attempt to vote the other way if you can hand them to me fast enough, brother. i want to see Thursday restored to "doing stuff away from DEFCON" status. there's nothing wrong with dedicated people being in vegas early... nor is there anything bad about doing stuff together away from the con space early... but the actual doors opening on those ballrooms and the reg process etc etc etc... that should be Fri/Sat/Sun.
                      See, I think this is actually part of the problem with this poll and Deviant nailed it. I am not saying things like the TBBQ and Summit shouldn't be held on Thursday along with other unofficial events that have taken place for years on Thursday. I think those things should keep right on happening. I just think changing DEFCON from a 3 day "official" event to a 4 day (as happened this year and it appears the intent is to expand that next year) is wrong and forces too much on the staff. I hate to sound whiney, but it's Wednesday and my feet are still fucked up. The only other option I see is to significantly increase staff sizes so that we can give each staff member at least one day off during the con.

I will jump back on my soapbox for a second and implore you to vote No on this poll, keep Thursday unofficial and fun.
                      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I voted yes, but I can easily see how Thursday is taxing on the goons. Registration alone makes Thursday into a jumbled mess, let alone adding talks to that. Like it or not, Thursday really did a good job of making new people feel welcome (at the expense of making it difficult on non-newbs). Seeing as a solid 30% of Defcon was new people this year there is no way that Thursday isn't coming back next year.

Perhaps next year there could be extra volunteers brought on to help with JUST Thursday? If Defcon and Blackhat share a day again it isn't going to get better any other way. The 101 talks had far more manpower than necessary and we could have easily helped elsewhere. I am sure if there was an open call for help on Thursday there would be plenty of trustworthy people willing to assist.
                        Last edited by Xodia; August 5, 2009, 11:45. Reason: edited for clarity
                        The dude abides.

Comment

*sigh*

FWIW, I placed my vote and as only two choices were provided, I voted no.

Personal disclaimer, ala HighWiz's:

I recognize value in staging some casual, UNOFFICIAL presos (as the DC101 talk was originally envisioned) for noobs, perhaps on Thursday. I received a lot of positive feedback on it, both directly and indirectly. However, a full blown day of talks on Thursday seems over the top for all of the people who work so hard for DEFCON (reg, goons, contests, vendors, information booth, etc). All of these people are volunteers to this community and work their hearts out, many not just for DEFCON, but also for BlackHat. I respect them for that and was chagrined to find that the red shirts were required to work on Thursday.

There is more to say regarding this just perhaps not in this particular thread.

BTW, humble thanks to all involved in making the DC101 talk not suck. Those thanks will be formalized in thanks/boos thread.

JMTC

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Why not make Defcon101 the first talk(s) on Friday? They could be alongside or independent of the first tracks .. but, options seem to be:
                            1) Drop content
                            2) Concentrate content
                            3) Extend the conference

Personally, I usually prefer #2 with a slice of #1 to accomplish #2. #3 is great and all but won't actually solve the problem (see following), it is also not a real time gain ... adding the value to some at the cost of others as noted by folks above.

With regards to unofficial events, *shrug* .. having attended the debauchery for a few years now I have growing understanding that I can't possibly do 1/3 of what goes down in Vegas related to the conferences.. regardless of how awesome they all are. I extend my time in Vegas, the number of fun things extends proportionally. Pick your fun route for the year and be flexible.

Missed everyone this year; hope brains cells, booze supplies and health were disregarded by all. See you online and next year!
                            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I would have loved to arrive on Thursday and make four days out of it, but I can't afford to pay for Defcon and not work two days of the week. However, I think we need to give more emphasis to the opinions of the people that work the con than the people that go to it. Going to Defcon is easy but working it seems to be quite the opposite.

We're lucky that this is all organized for us!
                              Last edited by Shinies; August 5, 2009, 13:22. Reason: to add an important line

Comment

Deviant, what did you mean about the physical security side of things? Alek from Longhorn (legit guy from a legit, in fact the largest in North America, locksport club) ran the DC101 lockpicking intro talk, stuck just to introductory topics and the rooms were filled with clueless n00bs too intimidated to enter the over-crowded and under-stocked (with practice materials) Lockpicking Village without at least a little foreknowledge.

I tagged in to help Alek with the talk, and despite speaking last year about multiple high security attacks that got press & the year before about wide-ranging cultural issues that have garnered me other speaking gigs, I have never received such an overwhelmingly positive response from the audience. And I was only helping out, just piping up with anecdotes and examples to support Alek's infodump. People were still approaching me on Sunday thanking me & buying drinks. The n00bs who attended were obscenely well served by the DC101 lockpicking talk. And as I speaker, I've never had a more rewarding experience.

If there are problems with the DC101 concept as far as overutilization of Goons & the like, we should look toward solving those problems, not kiboshing the day outright. I got the impression that a Thursday session would happen next year again, so rather than debate the merits, let's see if we can solve the problems it raised.

One of the things someone mentioned was that a lot of the DC101 stuff overlapped & while I didn't attend any of the other talks, I thought Alek was clever in taking his 3 hours slot & splitting it into 3 one hour repeats. New faces came in for each hour and it was packed for each session. People could come and go as they pleased without interrupting his flow & there was Q&A built into each hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X