Well Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Hell

I figured I could put this in a couple of places, but putting it in just one seems to make sense to me.

I don't think I'm going to be making it to DC10 for financial reasons. Being a poor college student sucks, and while I have been able to pull it together every time before, this time it just isn't going to work out.

So,
    A) I'm not bringing a lockboard or lockpicks.
    B) I can't collect any owed drinks.
    C) I can't pay up any owed drinks.
    D) I am not bringing that REALLY good Correlejo tequila.

If any of you care, I'm sorry. If you don't, well, I hope you don't dial-up by the minute.
    R.J.
    "All the subtlety of a chainsaw,
    with none of the social graces."

Re: Well Hell

Originally posted by R.J.
    If you don't, well, I hope you don't dial-up by the minute.
    Sorry to hear that, there is always next year! (hopefully):)

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping for next year. There is hope for this year, but not much.
      R.J.

Comment

Back when I was a poor college student too I was offered a trip to Europe and a Eurail pass for 30 days over the summer, but I did not have enough money to eat and survive at that time. The plane fare and train fare were thousnds, but the sleeping and eating would kill me. I had 30 days for the trip, but could not scrape up 30 dollars if needed.

I was told that if it was "only money" that I shouls work extra and whatnot. "As you get older, the money is nothing, but the time is critical."

Now today I could head to Eurpoe and pay cash for the trip, but I'm reversed this time; the adage is right. I do not have 30 days to go on vacation. I would need a reliable dog sitter, someone to watch the bills and pay them as they come in, my boss would not be too happy, and so on.

Time is the real hard part.

I'm sorry if you will not be there, but it is understandable. Maybe a 2600 meeting in your area will take the edge off and makie it bearable. Start saving for next year!

Comment

I can't count the number of opportunities I missed out on because of lack of funds. I wish I were more determined, because I certainly could have found the funds with a bit of hard work. The time and opportunity only present once.
          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
            The time and opportunity only present once.
            Oh how well I know it.

"A funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done." -Orbital, "Satan"
            R.J.

Comment

I've never been able to make it to a DefCon 'cause almost every year they happen I've had to work. I have my own mobile DJ company and it's the middle of wedding season. Thankfully I always refuse gigs on the first weekend in August 'cause it's a long weekend here and my birthday falls around it. So for the first time in 10 years I can actually make it down!

Comment

Considering that you may even get work at the con as a DJ, I would have been there long ago if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                  Considering that you may even get work at the con as a DJ, I would have been there long ago if I were you.
                  I am trying to think of wedding music, and con music, and compare the two... almost like Venus and Mars... also I am sure that the con wouldn't measure up to what wedding$ put out for entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

I am trying to think of wedding music, and con music, and compare the two... almost like Venus and Mars... also I am sure that the con wouldn't measure up to what wedding$ put out for entertainment.
                    Bah.. Just because I degrade myself by doing weddings (it's all for the money man $500 a night is decent coin) doesn't mean I don't spin other things. The only problem is the US Border Nazis are really strict about carrying things like vinyl acsross the border. Anything that makes it look like you will be working there, they don't like. Maybe next year I'll set up a PO Box just accross the border and ship some of my vinyl and other toys there to come accross.

-PoT

Comment

That's funny, I thought Canada didn't like it if US folks went there for work. Didn't know they were so strict on DJs. Maybe if you were bringing some Bob Dylan I could understand... :)

Comment

Re: Well Hell

Originally posted by R.J.
                        So,
                        A) I'm not bringing a lockboard or lockpicks.
                        B) I can't collect any owed drinks.
                        C) I can't pay up any owed drinks.
                        D) I am not bringing that REALLY good Correlejo tequila.
                        Originally posted by R.J. (in another thread)

The little black notebook is where I keep crap like a listing of services on portnumbers, interesting frequencies, etc. It's a long term storage thing, so I usually don't take arbitrary notes in it.
                        DAMN!... I just realized that this meant you weren't bringing your little black notebook... :(

Comment

That's funny, I thought Canada didn't like it if US folks went there for work. Didn't know they were so strict on DJs. Maybe if you were bringing some Bob Dylan I could understand... :)
                          It goes both ways on that. I was at a party on the weekend where 2 of the DJs couldn't make it because they couldn't get accross the border from the States. I guess it all depends who the Nazi you get when crossing the border is. I haven't crossed the border since Spetember 11th myself, but I almost never had any problems when crossing the border, I only got IDed once, and that was going through a buttfuck nowhere little border crossing.

I just hope they don't harrass me about my CDs. a 20 hour drive without tunes would kil me!

-PoT

Comment

They need to worry about the radio signals going over the borders. Sheesh, what do they want, do they think Canada is going to corrupt the US with their music? More like the other way around!

Comment

They need to worry about the radio signals going over the borders.
                              Actually I read that Canada is doing/has done some serious radio jamming to 'prevent' any remote bombs from being triggerred. Read below...

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth to be jammed in Canada

Security insecurity
                              By Tony Dennis, 24/06/2002 07:23:35 BST

WORRIED ROYAL CanadianMounties might start jamming Wi-Fi and Bluetooth links or even mobile phone calls, according to a recent report in Canadian paper the Globe & Mail.
                              The Canadian security forces are worried that some-one might utilise the airwaves to detonate a bomb remotely at the forthcoming G8 conference which will be attended by the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair and the US President, George Bush, amongst others.

So they been given permission to monitor the airwaves for suspicious traffic. Canadians have picked on mobile phones as likely targets for the jamming. However, a more likely choice would be 2.4GHz since that frequency is international (unlike Canada’s PCS frequencies) and it is used by a vast array of electronic devices – such as remote doorbell chimes.

More worrying, 2.4 GHz is also used for 802.11 wireless Ethernet (Wi-Fi) links as well as for Bluetooth wireless data connections.

The authorisation for the jamming will run from 17th- 29th June for Kananaskis, Alberta the resort where the G8 conference will be held.

Authorisation has also been extended to include the Pope's visit to Canada during July. µ

Comment

Working...
                              X