Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparkles
    I definately agree!

I do agree with that as well, but here, these assholes are nitpicking. I believe that if something is readable, then just fucking deal with it.
    In other words, "Stop picking on me because I am too stupid to learn my own language!"

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      In other words, "Stop picking on me because I am too stupid to learn my own language!"
      haha, in other words "so the-fuck-what?"

... I would say that if you don't like it, don't read it.

... I don't see how someone's fucked up spelling/grammar should involve anyone except the person who has the fucked up spelling/grammar .

Comment

Well I got a Christmas Card last year as a recruiting tool from the University of Phoenix that said, "Happy Holiday's!" As we all know, there is no apostrophe in Holidays, so I threw away the card and will never give them my business for future education, nor respect anyone who went there.

My wife is trying to find a hotel for 150 people for a week for her work, and she gets folks who send her papers and they cannot spell worth beans. So they do not get her business.

Up the road a store is having a grand opening and they have a huge red and yellow banner that says, "GRNAD OPENING". They will not get my business either, I don't care what they sell.

If people cannot communicate effectively then they are going to lose business and integrity. The sad part is that they may never know what they lose, because they never had it in the first place.

Comment

stratification

... you see the great thing about this, is that you change your life according to your rules. It is all about stratification baby. Let the weak kill themselves and die...

Comment

I refuse to hang out with idiots. If we killed all the script kiddies, Defcon would be the next SRI think tank.

Comment

Spelling errors don't so much bother me, as people who begin to form new meanings for acronyms or words. Seriously, since when did "gg" turn to everyday speech? Used to it was only used at the end of games, indicating "good game" now people are saying "gg fridge" and "gg movie tickets" I know what they mean, but damn! I consider myself fairly adequate in my grammar, I'm a senior in highschool, I have one semester left then I'm off to college. We also take standardized tests, I was void of having to take my standardized writing because my English grades were so good. I could give a shit less if someone wants to you use "u" instead of "you" every once in awhile, but when people start doing something like this: "d00d, datz da shiz y0, h00k me up wit that 1337 shiat" that bugs me a little, in my opinion it takes more thought process to type like that, then it would normally....just my opinion.
              "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." (Stephen Roberts)

Comment

I'm old enough to remember when "gg" meant girl on girl.

Lots of sayings come and go, the big one now is "My bad." It too will die, soon I hope.

Comment

the big one now is "My bad." It too will die, soon I hope.
                  I agree entirely.
                  "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." (Stephen Roberts)

Comment

Originally posted by sparkles
                    I definately agree!

I do agree with that as well, but here, these assholes are nitpicking. I believe that if something is readable, then just fucking deal with it.

It's not nitpicking. When I first posted the thread, I was refering to the "online world" in general. I used someone as an example. Then I was informed, that the perception I gave off, was one of picking on the person. So I edited their comment out of my original post. I made a mistake in using them and I do admit to it.
                    This thread was not intended to single any one person out, it was intended to ask a simple question: What is education like today in regards to language?

I know in the United States today, if you don't now how to markup a sentence you don't have to stand against the board or get your knuckles rapped on.

Comment

gg Hellishangel:D
                      Where's the dedication?

Comment

In school I was allowed no more than three mistakes per page or it was an instant flunk.

I still remember my extra credit questions from 5th grade. They give you the words, you add the punctuation until it makes sense. Here is one of them.

Punctuate and capitalize:

john while james had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

Of course in 5th grade we had no Google to
                        find it.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                          I'm old enough to remember when "gg" meant girl on girl.
                          Hmm, it always meant "genetic girl" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HellishAngel
                            Spelling errors don't so much bother me,
                            I don't mind typos or the occasional spelling error at all... everyone makes them. I am particularly prone to typing the wrong suffix, and often I don't catch it when I read through for some reason. When .33-.5 of the words are misspelled though, it starts getting to me.

as people who begin to form new meanings for acronyms or words.

This I happily do. I believe language is fluid and should be used to get your point across, even if it means verbing a noun. I don't believe effective communication has to mean strictly following the rules we were taught in school.

However, your example is not something I would do as it doesn't seem to serve any purpose and would make no sense if the acronym were unabbreviated. I've even seen electronic ads now advertising sales on "nic cards." That tends to irritate me.

but when people start doing something like this: "d00d, datz da shiz y0, h00k me up wit that 1337 shiat"
                            This is just illegible and people who talk like this usually don't have anything asoutnding to say anyhow. I don't bother unless I've had a really bad day and need some target practice.

Comment

NIC cards is kinda like VIN number. DUH!

Comment

hmmm
                                did i learn english or american in school?
                                i do believe it was american….but i could be wrong.
                                "so many books, so little time"

Comment

Working...
                                X