No announcement yet.

Death of Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents are Scottish, I am from Canada, moved to the US when I was 3, and in 2nd grade I had a Venezuelan teacher in a Catholic School in California. I'm amazed I can speak at all.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      My parents are Scottish, I am from Canada, moved to the US when I was 3, and in 2nd grade I had a Venezuelan teacher in a Catholic School in California. I'm amazed I can speak at all.
      lol
      my parents are american, i was born in cali, was taught by an american, but now all the damn signs are in every language but american.
      oh yeah i hate words like da or aight are they just to lazy to pronounce the other syllables? i would think so since most people that speak like that are also to lazy to pick up their pants.
      Last edited by ch0l0man; December 20, 2002, 16:50.
      "so many books, so little time"

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
        Well I got a Christmas Card last year as a recruiting tool from the University of Phoenix that said, "Happy Holiday's!" As we all know, there is no apostrophe in Holidays, so I threw away the card and will never give them my business for future education, nor respect anyone who went there.

My wife is trying to find a hotel for 150 people for a week for her work, and she gets folks who send her papers and they cannot spell worth beans. So they do not get her business.

Up the road a store is having a grand opening and they have a huge red and yellow banner that says, "GRNAD OPENING". They will not get my business either, I don't care what they sell.

If people cannot communicate effectively then they are going to lose business and integrity. The sad part is that they may never know what they lose, because they never had it in the first place.
        this is exactly my point!
        if i choose to disreguard spelling spelling and grammar in the DC Forum it should not be a sign of intelligence. it's my ability to use clear and structured text/speach when the situation and the company requires that it need be done, that dictates when and where i use those skills.

my motorcycle can do 140+. but i dont try to impress every asshole that questions my bikes ability by doing 140 through a school zone.

capability is only usefull if exercised with necisity.
        the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by ch0l0man
          oh yeah i hate words like da or aight are they just to lazy to pronounce the other syllables? i would think so since most people that speak like that are also to lazy to pick up their pants.
          haha yes the ghetto-world has become more and more pronounced... not sure how many cali-ppl there are but if you listen to KROQ, check out the latest Kevin and Bean xmas CD Fo Shizzle St Nizzle ... it is pretty hilarious, but perhaps one of these days such jesting will be more serious... anyway the first few tracks make fun of the wiggers out there, who take an overall deficiency of education and cast it into something cool... not just to pick on wiggers ... but they are the most dominantly growing types that are oozing from middle class suburbia... what they don't understand is that they wish to emulate part of the lesser class who cannot afford, or are too lazy to get a decent education to now fill their vocabulary with slang instead of real words that exists in real dictionaries, not dictionaries that you can add to ... at least without learning the common most used dictionary first.

OT-rant
          ... of course we can also bring up the issue of sex education and non-planned births which also is a disease in everyday america... 16 year olds have 4 kids from 4 different males, sometimes not knowning who or whatever... ....

anway enough ranting from me, I am fed up as much as the next guy...

point: I find it a waste of my time to try and educate someone who doesn't want to be educated. let them die, be fed to the dogs, eaten alive... though the minute I can smell them, I either move or kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
            capability is only usefull if exercised with necisity.
            Don't you mean 'necessity'? :)

Comment

Originally posted by ashman
              Don't you mean 'necessity'? :)

see above mentioned post. :)
              the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                see above mentioned post. :)
                Heh, I generally find that sarcasm is not easily communicated over the internet. ;)

Comment

on the internet, no one can hear you scream... ;)

Comment

I think if the people can understand what you are saying it dosent matter is you spell something with an extra t or whatever. The main point is to get your idea accross.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetf0rce
                      I think if the people can understand what you are saying it dosent matter is you spell something with an extra t or whatever. The main point is to get your idea accross.
                      Gee, that hasn't been said about fifty ttimes.
                      Where's the dedication?

Comment

When A thread is DEAD, don't post in it...

Comment

A quick tangent on this "dead thread".

Grifter can relate to the local lingo we use here, in the community that is #ut2600 or even as small as just zzq. We use words taken from Something Awful's JeffK, #arstechnica and crazy stuff we make up...but not in conversation with people outside of this circle, because it's confusing, grammatically offensive and silly.

Has anyone else witnessed this phenomenon?
                          #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

The main point is to get your idea accross.
                            no the main point is to be able to use words to get your idea across.

if you cannot speak a common language you can be telling everyone how to make lead into gold... but no one can understand you... and so it cannot matter.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

if you cannot speak a common language you can be telling everyone how to make lead into gold... but no one can understand you... and so it cannot matter.
                              It's all about the protocol....
                              just like Appletalke and TCP/IP don't work with one another...greek geek speak(l33t k1d5)....and english aren't kosher with one another..
                              I'm sure I could have summed that up a lot better, but oh well.
                              Where's the dedication?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

I would be much more interested in turning gold into lead! Then we could have an unlimited supply of lead.

Comment

Working...
                                X