X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the ticket is 750CND, and i can't go : \
    Gr3y

Comment

I booked my plane ticket 2 weeks before hand. Just watch the websites...expedia.ca. You can get a better price in CDN dollars.
      There is also Rubycon. I think it's in Baltimore? Correct me if I'm wrong please. And it is driving distance. Unfortuantely I don't know the website.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCityGirl
        I booked my plane ticket 2 weeks before hand. Just watch the websites...expedia.ca. You can get a better price in CDN dollars.
        There is also Rubycon. I think it's in Baltimore? Correct me if I'm wrong please. And it is driving distance. Unfortuantely I don't know the website.
        also, be inventive and find ways to make some extra cash. hell, start a paypal donation fund and let folks know your looking for help to get to DC. I'd send you $20 US if you had a fund setup. Anything to help corrupt.... I mean influence the youth of the world!
        -- jedi

Comment

Can't you shovel snow out of driveways for some extra money? If you think about it, if you can earn five bucks a day you'd be set.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3y t0qu3
            ... and also my parents insist that i go with an adult that they know, ...
            I think that is a pretty cool thing, to have your parents interested in your wellfare to that extent. Granted, you are only 15 and travel between countries, let alone thousands of miles, is not something I would consider any 15yo to take on.

My parents were a little more protective than most.. but in your case I think this is pretty reasonable.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

hehe, my parents are pretty protective also, They said if i raise the money i am free to go
              Easier said then done , DC12 i am gonna be there for sure

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                Can't you shovel snow out of driveways for some extra money? If you think about it, if you can earn five bucks a day you'd be set.
                yea there is LOTS of snow in Canada to shovel...
                maybe you could suggest to your parents to put up the money and buy the ticket now and give them a set amount of money each month. even if it is the snow thing, that will get you some good cash, and defcon isn't until august, so you could also start cutting grass for a good 4 or 5 months before the con

good luck, the con is definitely a great experience...i wouldn't miss it for the world (worse comes to worse, bring your parents along with you...it'd be better than missing the con altogether)
                You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by GodMinusOne
                  i wouldn't miss it for the world (worse comes to worse, bring your parents along with you...it'd be better than missing the con altogether)
                  bad idea. unless your parents are very liberal and openminded, this could have ill effects. find an adult that you know (and trust) that is into computers. they will be more acceptable of the environment and into more of the activities.
                  -- jedi

Comment

Originally posted by J3di
                    bad idea. unless your parents are very liberal and openminded, this could have ill effects. find an adult that you know (and trust) that is into computers. they will be more acceptable of the environment and into more of the activities.
                    i probably take this for granted. my father had been attending the con years before he took me (DC 7) and i've been back every year since...finially this will be the first con at which i will be 18

depending on how your parents are, you may or may not want to take my advice...
                    You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by GodMinusOne
                      i probably take this for granted. my father had been attending the con years before he took me (DC 7) and i've been back every year since...finially this will be the first con at which i will be 18
                      second generation, huh? nice!

I have a 5 year old daughter who is already into computers and kicks my ass @ xbox games all the time (at least the sports ones ;). when she's a teenager and strong enough to fight off the drunks, I'll be bringing her....
                      -- jedi

Comment

erg... tonight is NOT the night to bring up xbox in relation to anything worthwhile and decent... I am completely strung out and pissed off at the whole thing.

It is very nice to find infomation about mods, programs and dev documentation for making your xbox highly useful and nifty. The problem is, there is a new generation of warez kiddie eager to deliver it. I must recount... because these kiddies are not even as proficient as the warez kiddies of yor. An entire "scene" of these people has narrowed things down to: "I can put a game CD in my xbox" = noob, "I can modify an ini file and know what an IP address / netmask is" = uber1337tothemax.

Sigh... sorry J3di... I needed a good rant...

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9

Sigh... sorry J3di... I needed a good rant...
                          no need to apologize. everyone needs to get shit off their chest. and I can appreciate a good rant, but....

maybe it's just me, but your rant is a bit incoherent. let me pick out some of the details.

It is very nice to find infomation about mods, programs and dev documentation for making your xbox highly useful and nifty.
                          My Xbox already is highly useful and does nifty things: it let's me play kick ass games like splinter cell, halo and lotr:two towers (whatever you do, do not touch! and I repeat, do not touch! the black label game for fellowship. it sucks ass!).

The problem is, there is a new generation of warez kiddie eager to deliver it. I must recount... because these kiddies are not even as proficient as the warez kiddies of yor. An entire "scene" of these people has narrowed things down to: "I can put a game CD in my xbox" = noob, "I can modify an ini file and know what an IP address / netmask is" = uber1337tothemax.
                          What? what exactly are you talking about here? are you talking about copying games? or are you talking about hacking the hardware to run linux?
                          if your talking about copying the games, I don't do that. games are about the only piece of software I pay for, because I believe in what the game companies are doing and enjoy their product.
                          As for running linux on it, it runs what it runs just fine and plays the games. I'm ok with it only running m$.

Now, if I misunderstood your rant, please school me. I'm confused.
                          -- jedi

Comment

Originally posted by J3di
                            My Xbox already is highly useful and does nifty things ...
                            Hahah yeah... that part was meant as "nifty things, beyond it's default ability to play prefab Microsoft-approved games"

you talking about copying games? or are you talking about hacking the hardware to run linux?
                            I've course I'm not talking about pirating the games. I fully admit to being lame... but not _that_ lame. I too buy all the games I run on the system, with exception of some older ported games like space invaders and pong. If I don't trust that I like it enough to plunk down the $30-40 for it.. I rent it first.

As for running linux on it, it runs what it runs just fine and plays the games. I'm ok with it only running m$.
                            That is more along the lines of what I was talking about when refering to "mods, programs, and documentation".... but not to exclude homebrew and non-Microsoft signed software, various hardware devices such as a larger hard drive or USB / HID stuff... as well as general documentation about the hardware, bios, modified bios images and usage.

For the most part, the rant was a 2 day accumulation of disgust with the majority of people involved in the low level hacking of xbox systems.. and their misguided belief that they are more consequential than they are.. all stemmed, of course, with the relation of your childs ability to play xbox games with all things technically inclined.

...but that was a spur of the moment, nearly completely incoherent rant and ramble.. I am better now. My soul is once again at one with the forum

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3y t0qu3
                              well all, it sucks, but due to financial reasons i can not attend, i just don't have enough money to get there, and also my parents insist that i go with an adult that they know, this is not possible, i may be attending HOPE next year, and hopefully Defcon the year after. I'd like to thank everyone and i will still be looking for a way to go but i probably will not be able to attend..
                              A Few Questions and Comments:

1) If it's a toss up between HOPE and Defcon, goto Defcon. But, if you can only get to HOPE then go for it.

2) Why not go with your parents? They could probably help you find a better Travel Rate/sign for a Hotel. It would be really cool if you could convince them to go to Las Vegas on a Trip.

3) If I were your parents I wouldn't let you go to Defcon unsupervised at 15. I mean, shit, there would be people like me there.

If you can get somewhere on the East Coast, as c0nv3r9 said, there is a sizeable East Coast Defcon Carvan traveling westward that you might be able to hitch up with.

Good Look with your plan.

Comment

Thnx to everyone, from the support i'm seeing i'm sure through donations and work i could save up enough money. The only problem is i need an adult to go with me, and well, my parents don't want to spring for Las Vegas, as were not doing too well financially at the moment, there's me and 2 other people that i know personially in my area that want to go to defcon, for all of us the problem is we need an adult, and i really don't know where i'll find one, lol But i will set up the PayPal fund, worst case senairo i'll have to put the money twords hope or def con in the next few years. I say hope because my parents said that we maby could go to NY next year and i could go to the con. They also said i would have a better chance at going because it is much closer. But i'm hopefully going to a con next year or the year after if not this year. Sigh....

So if anyone lives in NS and would be willing to be my guardian.... lol, plz...
                                Gr3y

Comment

Working...
                                X