No announcement yet.

Cost and Age Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeez, Cant u wait till 18 or something ??. I think 15 is a Little 2 young to go all the way to Vegas by urself. The best way is safe ur money till 18 or something then go urself, U will have more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BiZaR
      jeez, Cant u wait till 18 or something ??. I think 15 is a Little 2 young to go all the way to Vegas by urself. The best way is safe ur money till 18 or something then go urself, U will have more fun.
      I disagree. When I was 15 I had to pay my way to church camp, mandatory per my folks. I wish Defcon had been around then. It teaches a kid advance planning, savings, budgeting, and responsibility. Granted it won't be the best for some folks, but if you can logon and find the forums, you must know a little bit!

Comment

defcon is a great experience, however this kid is only 15 and he would have to go from Canada to Las Vegas alone (or with his friend who is also young), if he could get his parents or a guardian to go with him, that would be an entirely different story, but from what he is saying, it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

astcell,
        when you went to church camp, im sure it was supervised by responsible adults and your parents knew they could trust them...but from what im getting out of this, this kids parents have no idea what type of people to expect to be supervising the con, besides it isn't a goons job to watch and make sure this kid doesn't get into any trouble 24/7. also, at his age, i think it would be extremely hard to behave responsibly unsupervised. i mean he's all on his own, with no parents telling him what to and not what to do; and what happens if something bad happens to this kid, who's responsible?
        GodMinusOne
        Goon
        Last edited by GodMinusOne; January 19, 2003, 20:24.
        You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

I guess liability is the big question. Too many lawyers to make it fun for all ages I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
            I guess liability is the big question. Too many lawyers to make it fun for all ages I guess.
            We don't maintain liability for young kids who come from all over the country. We get calls every year from someone's parents who have forbid the kid from coming and now he's disappeared at EXACTLY the same time as Defcon is occurring. We can't be held responsible when parents can not control their kids.

I'd discourage you from coming, unless your folks are cool with it. But they need to understand that this isn't a "summer camp" type thing. There are no counselers. You WILL be abused. There will be gratuitous sex, drugs, and alcohol. And of course, 5-6k other hackers. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by russ
              There are no counselers. You WILL be abused. There will be gratuitous sex, drugs, and alcohol. And of course, 5-6k other hackers. :-)
              Ahh.. and I can't wait! :D
              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

LOL, im 13 in Toronto, Canada trying to get a ride to Defcon. First, I have to attempt to convince my parents. Then, i have to find a ride, but hopefully i can travel with some other ppl going to vegas from T.O. This will be hard lol, and plane is expensive, i think over $500CDN round trip, which is why i wanna carpool or something, problem is parents letting me lol. Hopefully someone they know will go, so they'll let me go. Another problem is getting all the money, so ill have to find a job now lol, besides web hosting and unix shells for friends ;)

Also, I'll Probably Get A Parent Or A Guardian To Go With Me, Just So They'll Let Me

Cybo
                cybo2001@hotmail.com
                MSN or Email

Comment

Originally posted by Cybo
                  LOL, im 13 in Toronto, Canada trying to get a ride to Defcon. First, I have to attempt to convince my parents. Then, i have to find a ride, but hopefully i can travel with some other ppl going to vegas from T.O. This will be hard lol, and plane is expensive, i think over $500CDN round trip, which is why i wanna carpool or something, problem is parents letting me lol. Hopefully someone they know will go, so they'll let me go. Another problem is getting all the money, so ill have to find a job now lol, besides web hosting and unix shells for friends ;)

Also, I'll Probably Get A Parent Or A Guardian To Go With Me, Just So They'll Let Me

Cybo
                  cybo2001@hotmail.com
                  MSN or Email
                  verify the price for you... It usually cost me around 400-450$ CDN from montreal...
                  /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Just worry about the one way trip here. Then turn yourself in as an illegal immigrant and let the US taxpayers send you back home, free.

Comment

Just worry about the one way trip here. Then turn yourself in as an illegal immigrant and let the US taxpayers send you back home, free.
                      Or we'll let them stay. We'll pay you minimum wage but at least you won't pay taxes!!
                      .: Grifter :.

Comment

sounds great :P

Comment

I went to defcon 10 when I was 15. I wish it wasn't so expensive. My friend and I spent about two thousand in three days.:)

Comment

Yea that way we will be sure to not see ya at defcon XII
                            /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Originally posted by encrypt31945
                              I went to defcon 10 when I was 15. I wish it wasn't so expensive. My friend and I spent about two thousand in three days.:)
                              Well, you had fun then. Defcon is cheap compared to most conventions. That 2k is sometimes just what it costs to get through the door.
                              .: Grifter :.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter
                                ...That 2k is sometimes just what it costs to get through the door.
                                You're gettin' so big they gotta widen the door for you that much?

Comment

Working...
                                X