Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Asshole Fiasco

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: The Asshole Fiasco

    Originally posted by bryan
    Were the falling objects happening on the north side of the pool? While trying to set up for the Beer Cooling Contraption Contest (around 11:30 am on Friday) I had a Redbull can (empty) fall from the sky, hit the ground, and bounce up and hit my leg. I didn't think much of it, especially since I was trying to convince a Riv security guard that my contraptin was not really a cooler.

    Bryan
    This happened towards nighttime and on the other corner of the hotel, near the parking structure

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: The Asshole Fiasco

      Originally posted by staticblac
      Strippercon at least in my opinon was meant as a good time for all too enjoy. Not as a way to look down on the principles that neg9 belives in and what the group stands for. When I first joined the group I belived the group stood for the open sharing of knowledge with other likeminded people and I still believe the principle stands to this day. I never though it was just putting a name on a group of people drinking together and having a good time. The group stands for a lot more and if in fact the main idea of the group was brought down I apologize, that was not the intention of the party. It was just meant as a way to unwind from dc for anyone to enjoy.
      Understandable... but having a "neg9 party" without the involvment or planning by a lot of people in the group is kinda not cool. It doesn't need a name if people are just "unwinding after DC". We've talked about having a joint dc707/dc530 party starting a few years back but... its hard to pull off without planning, and most of the members are now part of neg9 or out of the 'scene'. Next year some of us are going to have a hacker jep. team, probably compete in the aCTF (almost did last this year), and maybe something else... So if people want to throw a "neg9 party" go for it.. Just be sure not to allow fucktards to stay, give everyone a chance, have too much alcohol and just do like we normally do when not at con: Have fun and learn at the same time. If you feel the need to respond or.. want to start a thread... goto our forums.
      The only constant in the universe is change itself

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: The Asshole Fiasco

        Originally posted by TheCotMan
        I don't know if this was intended as a trolling statement, but it seems a bit antognistic. Some members here might think you were accusing them of not belonging at Defcon, while other members would read it as a general "you" instead of a "you" directed at the person to which you were responding. I am not telling you how you should act, but am letting you know how some people might take the statement.

        Glad you had a great time at Defcon, and welcome to the forums.
        I'll jump to Shannon's defense here and say that her and her husband were an example of the coolest type of con-goer. It was her first year and his fourth or so, and they were invited to the Ninja party by Crackerjack, as I'd thrown him down some invites to pass to his buddies. The next morning after the party, when my room (well, CStone's room) was overrun with random crashers and I was temporarily homeless, they saw my Ninja badge, recognized me, and let me crash in their room based on that alone, not knowing me at all. They even brought me pizza and soda a few hours later. I sat there and talked to them for half an hour afterwards and they were just the nicest people you could find.

        To anyone that wonders why we're so selective with who we invite to our parties over all these years, this is one of the many reasons why. It was awesome that they knew based on reputation that I was trustworthy and I knew that if they were at the party, they were good people, and it all worked out.

        Anyway, Shannon - hope to see you next year. Thanks again for the crash space. :)

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: The Asshole Fiasco

          Originally posted by barkode
          I'll jump to Shannon's defense here and say that her and her husband were an example of the coolest type of con-goer. It was her first year and his fourth or so, and they were invited to the Ninja party by Crackerjack, as I'd thrown him down some invites to pass to his buddies. The next morning after the party, when my room (well, CStone's room) was overrun with random crashers and I was temporarily homeless, they saw my Ninja badge, recognized me, and let me crash in their room based on that alone, not knowing me at all. They even brought me pizza and soda a few hours later. I sat there and talked to them for half an hour afterwards and they were just the nicest people you could find.

          To anyone that wonders why we're so selective with who we invite to our parties over all these years, this is one of the many reasons why. It was awesome that they knew based on reputation that I was trustworthy and I knew that if they were at the party, they were good people, and it all worked out.

          Anyway, Shannon - hope to see you next year. Thanks again for the crash space. :)
          Excellent. It is difficult to know what a person means when they post certain things, as some people can be passive-aggressive, some have hidden agendas, some want to cause problems, and some are innocent/oblivious to such OOB (out of band) communication. Once people are around for a while, these things are established and better understood without the need of questioning people's motives/agendas.

          Nothing posted by shannon up to this post gave me any indication that shannon was trolling, but I would rather be safe than sorry by addressing things early, instead of later. :-)

          Appologies to shannon for the false accusation/inference/suggestion.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: The Asshole Fiasco

            Originally posted by barkode
            I'll jump to Shannon's defense here and say that her and her husband were an example of the coolest type of con-goer. It was her first year and his fourth or so, and they were invited to the Ninja party by Crackerjack, as I'd thrown him down some invites to pass to his buddies. The next morning after the party, when my room (well, CStone's room) was overrun with random crashers and I was temporarily homeless, they saw my Ninja badge, recognized me, and let me crash in their room based on that alone, not knowing me at all. They even brought me pizza and soda a few hours later. I sat there and talked to them for half an hour afterwards and they were just the nicest people you could find.

            To anyone that wonders why we're so selective with who we invite to our parties over all these years, this is one of the many reasons why. It was awesome that they knew based on reputation that I was trustworthy and I knew that if they were at the party, they were good people, and it all worked out.

            Anyway, Shannon - hope to see you next year. Thanks again for the crash space. :)
            Thanks Babe, any time. Oh, you MAY have left some of the Sobriety you are missing (lost and found thread) in our room. I can send you the partial, COD.. but do you really need it?

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: The Asshole Fiasco

              Originally posted by TheCotMan
              Nothing posted by shannon up to this post gave me any indication that shannon was trolling, but I would rather be safe than sorry by addressing things early, instead of later. :-)

              Appologies to shannon for the false accusation/inference/suggestion.
              No Worries. I'm pretty Tame.. uhm.. except on Vodka.

              I look forward to keeping up with everyone that I met at DefCon through these forums. You have a rough job being a Mod.. Thanks for being on top of it.
              p.s. I like the icons better.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                Originally posted by staticblac
                Strippercon at least in my opinon was meant as a good time for all too enjoy. Not as a way to look down on the principles that neg9 belives in and what the group stands for. When I first joined the group I belived the group stood for the open sharing of knowledge with other likeminded people and I still believe the principle stands to this day. I never though it was just putting a name on a group of people drinking together and having a good time. The group stands for a lot more and if in fact the main idea of the group was brought down I apologize, that was not the intention of the party. It was just meant as a way to unwind from dc for anyone to enjoy.
                I really don't think having strippers is all that cool, yes I like nekkid women (shocker there), but I would rather have neg9 throw a cool haxoring party with trance and gadgets. I think if a party uses a group name it should be approved by those in the group. Staticblac, you rolled with us alot, but our core group is about 10 guys, whom would make this type of call. I tend to not associate with alot of groups for the main reason of the group being looked upon badly due to a couple of bad apples. I consider myself a member of neg9, but I don't always approve of all members actions. I don't want it to become a stupid frat, I want it to become a cool group for people to hang out with and share knowleage. Just my 2cents.
                ~:CK:~
                I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                  Originally posted by mfreeck
                  When I got there, no one knew who the fuck I was, so I kinda got the evil eye. I got in because I had the ninja sticker, but the fellow at the door stared at my ID so long I yanked it back... it seemed like he was memorizing it or trying to divine why such a lame person was able to get into such a cool party. It was a totally different story friday night when I was with converge.
                  the primary doorman at the ninja networks party was TW and, by the time he had to check IDs, he was well into his cups. he probably couldn't see straight enough to find your birthdate. if anyone was likely to give you the evil eye saturday night, it was me and only if you smoked inside the skybox or fucked with my hookahs (or came on too strong to the bartender).

                  nous.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                    Originally posted by nous
                    the primary doorman at the ninja networks party was TW and, by the time he had to check IDs, he was well into his cups. he probably couldn't see straight enough to find your birthdate. if anyone was likely to give you the evil eye saturday night, it was me and only if you smoked inside the skybox or fucked with my hookahs (or came on too strong to the bartender).

                    nous.
                    We couldn't get into the ninja party Saturday, but we didn't know many people and didn't have stamps... so, there you go.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                      I gave my stamp away.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                        Originally posted by astcell
                        I gave my stamp away.
                        Really? Why?

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                          Originally posted by astcell
                          I gave my stamp away.
                          Ast, that's a pretty shitty way to treat a group of people that have shown you nothing but respect over the years, especially considering your employer and your penchant for both covert and overt photography, which might make some other people at con really uncomfortable.

                          We were really open with giving out invites this year. If you had a friend that wanted in all you had to do was tell me. At least I'm assuming this guy was your friend, and not someone you ran into in the elevator at 4am.

                          In any event, we'd appreciate a little consideration next time. With all the potentially stupid things people can do at defcon (like the kid I didn't know that dropped a bunch of GHB then walked into the party at defcon 7 and promptly fell to the floor, only to be revived by paramedics and rushed to the hospital), it would be dandy if you could leave some of the discretion to the people actually throwing the event.

                          People think this is just all about elitism, and it's not. Besides the fact that we primarily want to party with our friends and people we respect, our parties don't get shut down or broken up because we're responsible about the way we party and respectful of the property and the con, and much of this is due to us being selective about who's there. It's difficult to maintain that when people like you play doorman and give out their invitations.

                          In any event, we had a great crowd this year, possibly the best ever. I hope we get so fortunate with the same great people, and more, next year.

                          On a side note, 2 years ago we had such a problem with counterfeits I literally did serial-numbered holograms. This year we just went die-cut vinyl, and more than 20 people showed up with fake stickers. Makes me wonder about next year.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                            I understand that astcell can defend himself, but I don't know when to shut my mouth...

                            Originally posted by barkode
                            Ast, that's a pretty shitty way to treat a group of people
                            While I see your point, you also state:

                            Originally posted by barkode
                            We were really open with giving out invites this year. If you had a friend that wanted in all you had to do was tell me.
                            You are upset that he invited a friend to your party, but you also seem to trust him in choosing his friends. If he had said, "I have this friend...", would you really have arranged a face-to-face meeting before being generous with an invite?



                            PS: Thanks for another great party. I think it was by far my favorite of the year, and your bartender was excellent and super-friendly (even if I can't remember his name). Even the whole incident with checking IDs (twice) went smoothly, and I was impressed with how well the crowd responded. Plus, it was just hilarious to see the Edward Forty-hands guys show their IDs without violating the game.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                              Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                              I understand that astcell can defend himself, but I don't know when to shut my mouth...
                              hehe, i feel your pain.. neither do I.. again, my husband will concur



                              Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                              You are upset that he invited a friend to your party, but you also seem to trust him in choosing his friends. If he had said, "I have this friend...", would you really have arranged a face-to-face meeting before being generous with an invite?

                              I guess the question is... did he just give the sticker to some random guy in the elevator?? If so, I would think that barkode has a huge reason to be upset. If not, and it was a friend, then the courtesy of letting the Ninja's know beforehand would have been a nice thing to do. It's hard to tell someone's 'tone' when you read it on a forum.. was Astell being snide?r Was he just saying "I apprecited the invite but couldnt go.. here was a friend of mine that was cool and I knew the Ninjas enough that they would just my judgement on whom I would give the sticker too." ?

                              General Statment:

                              I would think that throwing those AWESOME parties takes ALOT of effort, time and money. It would only seem normal that someone would wish to protect that, and a very cool thing to still be open to new people. Siimply, those that are throwing the party are ultimately responsible for those that come. Respect and thanks should be given, not flames or animosity because they are doing something little that you may not agree with.

                              Is it wrong to want to protect yourself? Especially with what happened because of Asshole.. it's a VERY good thing that DefCon did not get Shut down COMPLETLY and those throwing the parties didnt get hauled down with Metro because there ~were~ underrage drinkers there (I think Metro chose to ignore the fact that the underrage drinkers had probably gotten alcohol at the parties BEFORE they got there.. many thanks to Metro and the Goons for cooling those fires).

                              Whether it be stickers, door-men, or carding at the bars.. anything to protect yourself should be OK and I think it's wrong to criticise those that do so. Those that have an 'open door policy' for their parties should also be commended for their trusting attitudes and we, as their friends, should respect their parties and only bring those we would trust not to get them into trouble.

                              Put yourself in their shoes.. if you threw a party that was open-door and the next morning you discovered that your DJ Equipment had been stolen.. or you found yourself locked up at Metro for serving to a Minor.. or your very expensive decoration had gotten broken.. wouldn't YOU be smacking yourself in the head and saying 'what could I done to have prevented THAT?' Apparently those that were trying to protect themselves (stickers, doorman) Had gone through a bit of that already and were trying to prevent it from happening again. Why is that wrong and why wouldn't you be sympathetic/empathetic to them and help them protect themselves as well?

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: The Asshole Fiasco

                                Oh wait let me put in some more detail. I planned to and wanted to go, really! I enjoyed the gatherings the last two years very much. Then this year a friend of mine wanted to go and was going on and on about this great group having a party he had heard of, but you needed this little sticker. I said, "Oh this one?" and held up my badge to show it. Yes! Well how could I say no? I remember from years past that no guests were allowed in, it was the stickered person only, so I offered my sticker. Hell yes I wanted to go, but not sharing would be like saying "I get to see Santa Claus and you don't, nya nya nya."

                                Now Barkode, I had no idea that I could have asked for an extra sticker because I was so sure about the security. Two years ago I could not even get my (then) wife into the party because she did not have a sticker. I did not give it away like it was meaningless, not at all. And I knew if the recipient was a dolt that it could reflect on me.

                                Shannon, you said it a lot better than I could have, thanks!

                                So I am sorry if I made any sort of negative reflection on the group with that statement. That is not my intent. The Ninjas rock and I have the utmost respect for everyone who puts such effort into the group year after tear.

                                Now on two other notes: It turned out to be a good thing that I dd not go because there was another "situation" that I became very involved in. Secondly, I don't do photography for my old employer any more, that job ended last September.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X