defcon shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defcon shoot?

anybody else interested in actually seeing this happen this year?
    Soulidium (So-li-de-um) The place within us that contains the mystical spirit and soul of our creative artistry. A place where the fabric of our lives and experiences are transformed into their artistic equivalents; A housing for the very voice of our souls...

Re: defcon shoot?

well, the outdoor ranges where the shoot historically took place are long gone, but in the past some of us have organized group appearances at The Gun Store or American Shooters for Class-III rentals, etc.

Those took place on wed. afternoon typically. since i'll be in town on tuesday at the latest i could be up for a wednesday gun run if others are keen on that.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

im really wanting to bring my own just becuase but ide like to see what others have. im going for a high point c9 just for the cost and reliability not to mention if it breaks its waranteed and if its stolen whats another 150 bucks? this way i dont have to haul around or risk loosing my rifles
      Soulidium (So-li-de-um) The place within us that contains the mystical spirit and soul of our creative artistry. A place where the fabric of our lives and experiences are transformed into their artistic equivalents; A housing for the very voice of our souls...

Comment

Link

Less then 20min form the strip, and quite possibly the best outdoor range I’ve shot at in Nevada.

Oh and they have a great bar, just perfect for an after party.
        "There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people." -Zedd

Comment

fatal grace would you be interested in helping to set up an event with this range if there was enough interest? the range seems a great place to have it.

Comment

Not a problem, if there’s enough interest I can make a few calls. I just need to know about how many will be going, if they will be renting guns, and a date and time?
            "There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people." -Zedd

Comment

cool ill help with the organizing and ill be there but ill only have the highpoint with me

Comment

Anyone know the status of this place?
                www.co.clark.nv.us/Parks/Shooting_Park.htm

Could be a good place to hold DC Shoots in the future.
                “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet_Wolf View Post
                  Anyone know the status of this place?
                  www.co.clark.nv.us/Parks/Shooting_Park.htm

Could be a good place to hold DC Shoots in the future.
                  Boombox and I visited the "site" during last Defcon, and we found nothing but muddy dirt roads. You can get on the mailing list to get updates.

This was the last meaningful update from their mailing list:
                  http://www.co.clark.nv.us/parks/Shoo...007/issue6.htm

I've been following their progress for around 2 years, and the earliest estimates would have offered a range/site before last Defcon. Check the last update, and you'll see that were just getting ready to put the park items out for bid in November.

I wouldn't count on that shooting park being ready by this year's Defcon.

From: http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/par...tion_Sheet.pdf :
                  Originally posted by url
                  PUBLIC MODULE: Target completion date is early 2009. This module is designed to provide immediate public shooting
                  opportunities to the citizens of Clark County. The Public Module consists of development of the following features on 178 acres of the
                  shooting park site...

Comment

i think we should just stick to Desert lake. its a site thats not going anywhere and will be comfortable in the august weather.

Comment

Latest issue was sent out by email. They munged the hostname in the URL in their announcement,but here is the corrected link:
                      http://www.co.clark.nv.us/Parks/Shoo...ETin_vol.4.htm

Comment

Desert Lake sounds fine, we just need to find out if they are game for using Tannerite, and bringing out the various flavors of .50 rifles. I see they rent machine guns, so BYO Class III shouldn't be an issue.
                        Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Ok I’ll give them a call on Wednesday, and ask them a few questions.

Tannerite and/or explosive targets?

If they can order the explosive targets for us?

BYO Class III, and if they sell ammo?

From you guys I’ll need to know.

What you’ll be shooting?

Aug 6 Time 14:00-17:00?

How many thank that they can make it? “I may reserve as a private event if more then ten, and they allow Tannerite”

Carpool, and if so how many cars will be available?

Food/beverage?

Drinking after shoot?

Desert Springs OK for everyone?

Comment

I'd certainly be up for this, but depending on the size of the group and how well i know the people who start raising hands, i'm very likely going to start asking questions concerning range masters, safety and policy, etc.

In previous years, the DefCon Shoot was a self-policed affair like the rest of our community's events. People who everyone could trust were in charge and their word was law. When the range went hot or cold was respected by everyone and people were kicked out without emotion if people were stupid. I'd demand that level of decorum if i were to participate.

That said, i'd love to participate in this and i'd happily bring a few weapons along. Most likely, my 1911 and Ruger 10/22 since they're fun, easy, and (especially in the case of the Ruger) cheap to shoot. Anyone who wanted to do some long-distance stuff for pennies per shot would be welcome to put some 22LR downrange with my scope.

I also have some shotguns, etc. but I don't know if i'd be toting them along or not. For anyone who's never tried firing a lupara one-handed, it's an interesting experience. Full-power buckshot gives you complete appreciation of the nickname "wristbreaker" on that little beauty.
                            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'm interested in seeing someone pick up the ball and run with this. I was one of the original DC-Shoot organizers, so let me share with you what we were handling before you agree to pick it up and run with it.

The most obvious reason we let it lapse was the fact that all of us are also Defcon staff, so it became too difficult for us to do both things. The less obvious reason we let it go was because of safety concerns. Realize that the last time we did it we had roughly 80(!) people on the line, and the line stretched wider than some ranges are long. You need a significant force to police that line, and a good means of communication to coordinate between the range officers. We had been able to do it in the past with 3 or 4 range officers, however our RSO's wanted to shoot too. To do this right you'd need 4 or 5 range officers (NRA certified if possible), a communication plan, and a range operations plan. When the event gets as big as it did, safety becomes a very major issue. I'm happy to say that in the years we did it the worse that ever happened was Xinc getting a jacket from a 9mm stuck in his forearm. Part of that was having skilled RSO's, and quite a bit of luck.

So know what you are taking on before you take it on.

That said, if you do decide to do it, find out if the range is NFA friendly to Machine Guns (not just theirs, but ours), Silencers, AOWs, and Destructive Devices.

-noid (NRA RSO, soon to be NRA Master RSO)

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Working...
                              X