No announcement yet.

Kenshoto video torrent or tracklisting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kenshoto video torrent or tracklisting?

Originally posted by jur1st
    i'm waiting to get the torrent file from Deviant. My media is all set up and ready to go.
    What are the odds that we're going to get torrent?

Comment

Originally posted by sammo
      What are the odds that we're going to get torrent?
      i've been waiting on the completed .torrent from bob, but everyone seems to have had their ass kicked recently in terms of work and life. i include myself in the group of those who have been off the grid somewhat, actually. however, in an effort to make some forward progress on the matter, i've coordinated with some other people to host a torrent of my half of the video archive. there will be a torrent online in the next couple days (provided i continue to pistol-whip the guy who said he'd do this) which will contain the stuff that was on my DVD which i gave out during the closing ceremony. (this is the reencoded stuff that used to be the DCTV filler and additions to that archive which my people did)

as for the hillarious stuff that the kenshoto people were projecting, that will be included in the .torrent which was the original focus of this thread. those who participate in that one will have (provided my alternate one goes up in a few days) complete files for much of that upon its start which will help greatly with seeding.

more to come soon.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

fuck everyone

<rant>

if chris would let me make an addition to the fucktard hall of fame, this would get my submission... but i think that particular compendium of idiocy is reserved for corporations and institutions as opposed to individuals. however, my ire is peaked and i'm going to go on a mini-rant here.

first, i should note, that this rant is something i'm doing merely to kill time as i remotely fiddle with a few files while compiling and starting the torrent on my own... yes, it will be up and running in moments if we're lucky.

let me regale all of you with the tale of this torrent.

back in the long long ago time, a great man named Tierra ran DefCon TV... amid the offerings of great hacker-friendly movies there were collections of hillarious clips: rare things, banned cartoons, unexpected bloopers, etc. some were famous and had spread virally across the internet in years past, others were almost totally unknown and wowed television audiences at the alexis park.

but not all was good with the clips... some of them were of poor quality, others were in horrid formats. after a summer spent repeatedly organizing, reencoding, and augmenting the videos, deviant and tierra prepared to unleash the newer, better, stronger filler material upon the attendees of DC14.

fate is a curel mistress, however, for we were not afforded the chance to do this. in what was to become a long series of asshattery, the Riviera staff denied DefCon TV its broadcast ability.

thus, after some raucous drunken comments during the closing ceremony, deviant whipped the crowd into a frenzy of expectation with the promise that the filler material would be made available to all... some way, somehow.

then the real horror of the tale began

some associates of mine knew people in new york who made promises of humongous bandwidth available for hosting a torrent seed. all that was needed was for me to get the filler to them. since i was attending a party at their place one night, this didn't seem like too tall a task. i rushed out the door with little time to spare. knowing that i was already late and had a long drive to NYC ahead of me, i refrained from burning a DVD of the content. i knew the files were all on my laptop and figured i'd just transfer them to a server on their LAN when i arrived.

you know how some people are geniuses at coming up with wicked ideas and then have absolutley no fucking ability to get them working properly? yeah, that's the type of people these folks seemed like after the night i had up in New York.

first, they spent at least half an hour trying to give my laptop the ability to talk to their file server. after battling samba and other tools for a while, i simply suggested that we jockey the files up to the server room with removable storage. no one had blank media so burning CD-Rs was out. no one had a large removeable hard drive so that was out. i had a gigabyte USB key. it would have to do. 4.3 GB of files... that's five trips if we didn't use any compression. watching the first load transfer in two minutes' time, i was confident that we'd be in business. that was, until the person who ran the drive upstairs came down to announce that he'd be ready for the second batch in about 25 minutes. yes, it seems that no USB2 ports were on the server. no one tried a different workstation at the place.

after another round of that, people started getting antsy for a different approach. i explained that while what they had wasn't a perfect system, it was at least working. they weren't having it. instead, they opted to try various FTP solutions (none of which worked) and finally file transfer via SSH. they couldn't get my version of PuTTY to play nice with their SSH daemon. they couldn't download a new version onto my laptop (somehow they managed to foul up mozilla in the process)

ultimately i used wget to fetch the latest version... which they still couldn't manage to use to send files around. amid protests over the USB drive solution (which by now would have nearly been finished if they'd just stayed on top of it) i obtained and started up apache32 on my laptop. "here!" i shouted, "there's a web server running on my laptop's IP address... the only thing on it is the filler in the root directory. just run a wget script and be done with it!"

by now guests were arriving and i was helping people tap a keg (which they obtained but didn't know how to operate) and wanted the laptop secured. thus, instead of leaving it out where the USB drive runner could reach it (and where everyone else could spill beer on it) i locked it in someone's room and told their ringleader to just fetch the files from the web server.

a little while into the evening i was told it was all set. i checked. yeah, he didn't use proper recursion on the wget string. the process which had been "complete" for a few hours hadn't gotten more than 20% of the filler.

finally, i went home early the next morning... still with them missing a few files. i stuck the remaining ones on my home web server, telling them to download the fuckers and get the goddamn torrent up.

it took weeks just for them to get around to trying to get the files... which they still managed to foul up. how the hell you fuck up an HTTP download i do not know. someone gave a friend FTP access in order to push the rest to their box. by this point now, however, i have fucking had it.

</rant>

i've done basically 100% of the process thus far without their help, so why break that chain now? i've learned just this very day how to create torrents (due to my affiliation with the sound a pig makes) and will attempt to use this new knowledge here.

there's already a good number of people with the files who are eager (i'm told) to help seed... so we'll see how this goes.

NOTE - this is just the DCTV filler content, not the videos that the kenshoto crew was showing on the wall of the CTF area (although there is some overlap, i'm told... like the hacked GI Joe cartoons are part of my filler archive, as well)

the kenshoto content will be along soon, however, i'm told. those guys don't have the luxury of having no serious job responsibilities like i did this week (most students and faculty were away at various functions).
        Last edited by Deviant Ollam; October 13, 2006, 19:20.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: fuck everyone

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
          <rant>...
          Damn. That wouldn't be a certain old warehouse off Flushing in Brooklyn, would it?
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Re: fuck everyone

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            if chris would let me make an addition to the fucktard hall of fame, this would get my submission.
            Email it to tards (the at symbol) fucktardhalloffame (the period goes here) com and see if it appears on http://www.fucktardhalloffame.com/

What's the worst that could happen?

Comment

ok, there's a chance that at least a dozen things could go wrong with this since it's my first time setting up a public torrent (and my only other experience with creating torrents was two private ones that i made for the very first time earlier today)

feel free to attempt things with this torrent file...

... if you already have the files, point to their current directory as your download destination and you'll start to seed right away (or, after the few minutes it takes to do a hash-check)

if you want to download, be patient... this is likely going to make my few connections totally assplode until we get a few completed clients up and running elsewhere.
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

So... Um yeah I for one would like to thank Deviant for his dedcation to this... I for one would probably have just said F**K IT a long time ago and given up. So three cheers for Deviant:

Hip...Hip...Hooray
                Hip...Hip...Hooray
                Hip...Hip...Hooray

Comment

looks like we've got two or three seeds that are running and about half a dozen people in various stages of completeness. my upstream is pegged at home and at work, but we're going well.
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

well, first hiccup... there's some corrupt data that somehow made it into the torrent... i'm taking care of it. it doesn't affect all files and will be corrected soon, but yeah... you'll have to re-download some bytes for sure. wish 3+ gigs hadn't already gone out in the few hours i was sleeping.

UPDATE: a new torrent has been created, i'm verifying some CRC data now and trying to get the necessary replacement files out to the seeds (so people don't have to re-fetch the whole thing)

UPDATE2: looks like 94.4% of the data was fine... the remaining data had some corruption. if you're doing a seed from the filler DVDs that i handed out, you have the 100% correct data... if you downloaded during the night from the first torrent, keep what you have and point the new torrent at those files. it will patch up any little fragments where the CRC didn't match and you'll be in business before you know it.

UPDATE3: ok, everything's working again. my home network is currently the one complete seed. my work torrent box is fetching the data it was missing (the data it had in corrupt form) and will be ready in under 2 hours. people are free to fetch the torrent file again (original URL, new file contained therein) and start to SEED if they have the files from pre-torrent allocation. if you want to download please try to contain yourself and wait another couple hours. it's saturday morning and only 9 AM here on the east coast... everyone should still be in bed, anyway.
                    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; October 14, 2006, 05:49. Reason: whiskey, you're the devil
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

85.10.208.17 (this person was disconnected then came back)
                      68.150.72.48 (this person was disconnected then came back)

these are the people whom you all can thank for slowing down the whole process for the rest of us. while i specifically asked people who were not pre-allocated seeders to wait another two hours, some folks just had to have the files right away. now my home connection's only getting about 10K to my workplace... and the workplace seed won't be fully online for another four hours at least.

UPDATE: two of the four people are no longer pulling from my home cable modem. looks like we'll be good in three hours now.

UPDATE2: now three of the four people are no longer pulling from my home cable modem. heh, this is neat... interactive internet. i make a post and watch my torrent peer list change.

UPDATE3: more people are connecting. we're down to 5 Kb speed to my main seed box at work. fuck everyone.
                      Last edited by Deviant Ollam; October 14, 2006, 07:05.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

these are the people whom you all can thank for slowing down the whole process for the rest of us....
                        If they were connectable, then they should not have has much of an impact. If any of them were NOT connectable, then your effective throughput to your desired destination could be harmed.

UPDATE3: more people are connecting. we're down to 5 Kb speed to my main seed box at work. fuck everyone.
                        People more than 1 degree away from your hosts would then seek another node when the node they were connected to (the ones talking to you) disconnected. If you were the only one left, then that source would be you.

If we assume the nodes 1 degree of separation from you were all connectable, and the hosts connected to them included non-connectable nodes, when the non-connectable nodes connected to your connectable source, they end up "stealing" throughput from your connectable source. The place you want to send the data would in the worst case (if not connectable) have to wait for a connectable source to appear, and in the best case, hope one of the non-connectable nodes would connect to it, and then have chunks the non-connectable nodes wanted.

If everyone connecting to you was connectable, then any losses in throughput from your source to your destination, could be marginal, with the benefit of multiple source seeds to run interference in case any other users appeared demanding content.

Non-Connectable users are very bad for torrents; they may be worse than people that don't remain available once they finish their download-- depending on the circumstances.
                        Last edited by TheCotMan; October 14, 2006, 08:30.

Comment

FWIW, I'm on and see only 1 peer (aramaki.shimaro.com) who is 96.9% complete. That # hasn't changed in the past 30 minutes I've been on. I've been getting a constant 100KB/s from that peer. Nobody else has connected for me to upload to.

Comment

damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit.

my room mate came home and tried to watch something on the workstation where the torrent was seeding. in his quest to queue up some pr0n, he closed µTorrent instead of just minimizing it. arrgh!

i just started it up again. there are still two peers who are connecting to me and slagging my bandwidth (68.150.72.48 and 85.10.208.17) so it looks like another couple hours until the last 1½ % makes it out there.

i've killed my external port for torrenting here at the house, therefore only "connectable" peers can reach me. i did this in the hopes that my work computer (which is connectable, obviously, since it's a seed for many things) would exclusively pull from me.

those two users mentioned above, however, are running in connectable mode and therefore can still reach out and touch home. hence, no one at the moment is pulling from the fast computer (work) since it doesn't have the last 1½ %... and it's not going to have those last few bytes for at least another hour and a half because people keep hammering my home machine.

to repeat (particularly for those few people who are online right now and NOT already seeding) if you'd just get the fuck off of the torrent for a bit, my fast computer would get to 100% and then everyone would be able to pull the full torrent data at much better speeds.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

dood.. I just woke up and found my client downed, started back up to keep pulling and uploading, but will stop it and re-download the new torrent. Lostboxen WILL SEED ... some day :p

Maybe consider a temp-ban on the IPs still pulling from the old so that folks can start seeding the new? Unloose the ban and they can catch up with the rest of the world... or better yet, ban all except your work computer, then unband when ready to resume.

I will wait for all this to be cleared up before proceeding ;)
                              Last edited by converge; October 14, 2006, 13:07.
                              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

my work computer is now at 100% and seeding. that would be 66.208.205.194 for anyone who's monitoring their peers and seeds, etc. since it has about four times the upstream as my home machine, i've stopped seeding at home (and resumed all my other torrents which can now operate at regular speeds. i assume i'll start sending and receiving email again, too)
                                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                                X